Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 06:02 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times

Advertisements

That really does stink, as we go out for enjoyment, not a sanity fix (that's what happy hour is for).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 06:38 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
So why do you stay here to only struggle and be miserable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaray14 View Post
When you have two people working full time going out to eat for casual dining is not a luxury as much as away of maintaining your sanity. We do eat out or order in occasionally when we're both too exhausted to cook another breakfast, lunch or dinner. Doesn't mean we are whiners and deserve to pay 4x the median taxes than the rest of the country. That's just a little insulting IMO. We work hard, don't have any new cars or luxury items and are not big spenders in any sense, and still can't save. It's just not right....

Old 07-13-2015, 08:07 AM

167 posts, read 383,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
So why do you stay here to only struggle and be miserable?
Yes that's the $10,000 question (our tax bill basically). Rip ourselves away from family, friends and free ourselves of the corruption. It may soon be time to leave but sometimes you have to fight as well. But deep down I know the politicians will play "extend and pretend" for a very long time. Just like the Greek situation, it will not resolve until a full blown crisis arrives and it is too late...

Old 07-13-2015, 08:53 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
So many references to avg income and wages for a "position on long island" to show why it's tough here. Why are you ignoring NYC income? Hundreds of thousands ride the LIRR every single day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
So even when presented with the facts you doubt them and trust your anecdotal evidence that because some people are able to "shop at RF, eat at Cheesecake Factory, Olive Garden and Red Lobster, even more "pricier" restaurants like Ruth Chris' steakhouse, and the lines at Walmart and Target are long 90% of the time and people of all ages and income levels are dining with no problems paying food bills of over $30-100 a pop".

First, the average weekly wage for a position on LI is slightly above the national average. This is the same illusion as the median household income on LI - which includes all incomes in the household - husband, wife, kids in college with jobs and the ones still living at home. This skews the data. Two average weekly incomes go to buying so of the things you mention.

Second, again, this is the average weekly wage for a position on LI. Since LI has a large population, it is a given that those on the upper end of the scale who make more (or considerably more) than average weekly wage for a position on LI are the main purchasers of these items. That leaves a lot of people out given LI's population. So maybe these are the people complaining?

Third, LI is under retailed for the size of it's population, explaining the long lines at Walmart and Target. Many other areas of the country rarely experience the same kind of crowds in these kinds of stores, yet they manage to stay open somehow.

Fourth, since the majority LIers say they spend upwards of 50% of their income on housing, they may be the ones complaining.

The numbers do not add up other than more than one income per person or multiple incomes per household. More people doing more work to pay for the higher costs on LI since the average weekly wage for a position on LI is only 10% or so above the national average.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:54 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
If you are only staying here to only hope your tax bill gets dropped to $5,000 or so then think again. Its never going to happen. Having family near is great in all but at the end of the day you have to be able to afford it here without misery.

Quote:
Yes that's the $10,000 question (our tax bill basically). Rip ourselves away from family, friends and free ourselves of the corruption. It may soon be time to leave but sometimes you have to fight as well. But deep down I know the politicians will play "extend and pretend" for a very long time. Just like the Greek situation, it will not resolve until a full blown crisis arrives and it is too late...

Old 07-13-2015, 12:31 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
So many references to avg income and wages for a "position on long island" to show why it's tough here. Why are you ignoring NYC income? Hundreds of thousands ride the LIRR every single day.
Bronx: 881
Kings: 760
New York: 2,749
Queens: 911
Richmond: 802

There is good money to be made in Manhattan, but not everyone wants to spend a good portion of their day commuting.

Quote:
Average weekly wages
Manhattan’s average weekly wage during the year ending in the first quarter of 2014 was more than two and a half times the national average—$2,749 compared to $1,027. No other county in New York City had an average weekly wage above that of the nation. Brooklyn was the lowest-paying borough, with average wages below $800 per week. (See chart 3.)

Within Manhattan, the financial activities supersector had the highest first-quarter average weekly wage, $9,261. (See table 2.) Natural resources and mining had the second-highest average wage ($3,901), followed by information ($3,207) and professional and business services ($2,603). Manhattan’s leisure and hospitality supersector had the lowest average weekly wage, $809. Wages in every supersector were higher in Manhattan than their respective national averages.

Among the 339 largest counties in the nation, Santa Clara, Calif., trailed Manhattan with the second highest average weekly wage, $2,074, followed by San Mateo, Calif., $2,058, and Somerset, N.J., $2,048. Four of the 10 counties with the highest wages in the nation were located in the greater New York area (New York, N.Y., Somerset, N.J., Fairfield, Conn., and Morris, N.J.), while the rest were located in or around the San Francisco area, the Washington, D.C. area, and the Boston area.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:49 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,830 times
I liked LI and used to live in NY but the beach in Rockport Texas is much nicer - no traffic, low taxes, and no winters (Summers are hot though). I think no matter what Long Island does people are going to look elsewhere.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:02 PM

167 posts, read 383,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
If you are only staying here to only hope your tax bill gets dropped to $5,000 or so then think again. Its never going to happen. Having family near is great in all but at the end of the day you have to be able to afford it here without misery.
I'm not sure what your point is. According to the data, the MAJORITY of people on LI are in the same boat I'm describing. So basically we should all just get up and leave? It's not quite that easy to sell a home, and find two jobs. It's not like most of us choose this place or choose for it to be so corrupted. All I am guilty of doing was being born and raised here, then bought a home and started a family. Now for that crime I deserve being financially taken advantage of the rest of my life....

Old 07-14-2015, 06:26 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what your point is. According to the data, the MAJORITY of people on LI are in the same boat I'm describing. So basically we should all just get up and leave? It's not quite that easy to sell a home, and find two jobs. It's not like most of us choose this place or choose for it to be so corrupted. All I am guilty of doing was being born and raised here, then bought a home and started a family. Now for that crime I deserve being financially taken advantage of the rest of my life....
You, and everyone else, get what you vote for.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:04 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Voting is a sham. When was the last time a politician did well? Either way we lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island