Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:12 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeymaster View Post
Population of Long Island is 7.5 million people. Population of Westchester is 950,000. Even IF News 12 started in Long Island alone, it doesn't make it a soley Long Island operation. And FACT is Cablevision dominates Westchester county the same way it dominates Long Island. Westchester has some other options like Fios and Satellite but many people just like in Long Island do not have them. It's hit or miss. In Westchester when one turns on News 12, they get news SOLELY based on Westchester just like if you are in Long Island you get news SOLEY based on Long Island. This is what you are failing to comprehend.
See here's the thing. I 100% get the point you are TRYING to make about exclusive area coverage. The problem is, again you are giving inconsistent facts. Cablevision dominates Westchester the same way it dominates Long Island? How can that be? How many cable companies are there on long island? Last I looked, it's "1". How many in Westchester? As stated prior, it's "3". So one area has one cable company and then you have satellite and fios; whereas the other area has 3 cable companies, then satellite and fios. Yeah, really sounds the same to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 07:28 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,382 times
Who would want to keep giving the Dolans more $$ ? Not me .See link below
Who Are the Dolans? - CNBC

Old 01-21-2013, 12:37 PM

44 posts, read 100,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
See here's the thing. I 100% get the point you are TRYING to make about exclusive area coverage. The problem is, again you are giving inconsistent facts. Cablevision dominates Westchester the same way it dominates Long Island? How can that be? How many cable companies are there on long island? Last I looked, it's "1". How many in Westchester? As stated prior, it's "3". So one area has one cable company and then you have satellite and fios; whereas the other area has 3 cable companies, then satellite and fios. Yeah, really sounds the same to me.

To your question about Long Island, there are technically 3 since you have Cablevision, Dish and Fios. However it all DEPENDS where you live. There are people in Long Island that can get pick between either Fios or Cablevsion as there are people that are stuck with one choice, usally just Cablevision. SAME story in Westchester.
The dominant cable company in Westchester and Long Island is Cablevision. There is some parts of Westchester where TWC has presence and they are the sole provider or they have to pick between TWC and FIOS. It's a very tiny part of Westchester in the Larchmont area.
For the 99% of people in Westchester, Cablevision is the prime cable provider just like in Long Island. In the same way, among those people, maybe 40% just like in Long Island have the option of getting Fios or Dish.
There is no part of Westchester where one can pick between all four providers(Cablevision, TWC, Fios, and Dish).

My WHOLE POINT was was since Cablevision offers News 12 programming to other cable providers DEPENDING on the area they are in, then they should offer it to the Fios.
Fios has operations in Texas, but there is no neeed for News 12 there. However, Fios has operations in the whole NY/NJ metro area. Considering Cablevision now let's TWC and Comcast use broadcast News 12, there is no reason for them not to allow Fios to have it too.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Who would want to keep giving the Dolans more $$ ? Not me .See link below
Who Are the Dolans? - CNBC

I agree the Dolans are pretty much scum of this planet. I doubt the Knicks will ever win a title under them. Wish I was wrong about it, but those are the facts. When someone puts faith into Isiah Thomas, you know you are dealing with someone that should be in jail.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:25 PM

161 posts, read 321,848 times
Quote:
MSG channel was created by Cablevision yet they let TWC, Comcast, Fios, and Dish broadcast it. They also allow News 12 depending on the area to be broadcasted by the above except Fios and Dish.
There is no difference. If you allow one, then you should allow the other.
I don't know where your hearing this? News12 is NOT on Time Warner, Comcast. Never has been.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:53 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
1. They did sue and eventually won so MSG HD is on Fios. I'm watching it now.
2. News12 is an exclusive CV property, not a subscription channel. They don't syndicate it to any other company so they don't have to make it available to anyone else. MSG they do. They didn't keep MSG from FIOS, they charged them through the nose and more than any other entity (Dish, Direct, Time Warner) as a way to punish them and keep them from gaining more market share in CV markets. It violated free trade agreements and the court agreed. FIOS now pays what the others pay and runs MSG and MSG2 in HD.
To all of you still discussing this. "Hello? Hello? Anybody home? Huh? Think, McFly."

Did anyone read the above post? It's all right there.

This topic is like saying WCBS should sue WNBC for the right to show WNBC's newscasts on WCBS.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not4longNY View Post
I don't know where your hearing this? News12 is NOT on Time Warner, Comcast. Never has been.

I NEVER said it is on all of Time Warner or Comcast. It DEPENDS where you live. If you are going to post, PAY ATTENTION or take your pills. If you don't know what you are talking about, then don't post.

News 12 Westchester
News 12 Westchester, based in Yonkers in the South Westchester Executive Park at 6 Executive Plaza, reaches more than 280,000 homes through the Cablevision, Time Warner Cable of Mt. Vernon (channel 20), and Comcast of Putnum (channel 112) cable systems. On December 20th, 2010, News 12 premiered a new logo, infobar, graphics (including new news intro), and music. On Wednesday, October 5, 2011, News 12 Westchester along with Hudson Valley became the third and fourth of the News 12 Networks (behind NJ and LI) to switch to high definition.

News 12 Hudson Valley
News 12 Hudson Valley, based at 235 West Nyack Road in West Nyack, New York, launched in 2005 and reaches more than 140,000 homes through the Cablevision and Time Warner Cable (channel 156) systems serving Rockland and Orange counties. On December 20th, 2010, News 12 premiered a new logo, infobar, graphics (including new news intro), and music. On Wednesday, October 5, 2011, News 12 Hudson Valley along with Westchester became the third and fourth of the News 12 Networks (behind NJ and LI) to switch to high definition.

News 12 Hudson Valley
News 12 Hudson Valley, based at 235 West Nyack Road in West Nyack, New York, launched in 2005 and reaches more than 140,000 homes through the Cablevision and Time Warner Cable (channel 156) systems serving Rockland and Orange counties. On December 20th, 2010, News 12 premiered a new logo, infobar, graphics (including new news intro), and music. On Wednesday, October 5, 2011, News 12 Hudson Valley along with Westchester became the third and fourth of the News 12 Networks (behind NJ and LI) to switch to high definition.
News 12 The Bronx and Brooklyn

News 12 The Bronx, launched in June 1998 and reaches more than 300,000 homes in the Bronx borough of New York City from a studio at 930 Soundview Avenue in the Soundview section of the Bronx. News 12 The Bronx was the first television news organization in the country to use environmentally friendly hybrid gas/electric-powered vehicles in an effort to reduce air pollution From the same studios, News 12 Brooklyn launched in 2005, reaching more than 490,000 homes on the Cablevision andTime Warner Cablesystems (on channel 156 on the latter). The Bronx and Brooklyn networks share the same on-air talent, equipment, and resources. The Bronx and Brooklyn set were upgraded in summer 2010, and in mid-December 2010. News 12 Thepremiered a new logo, infobar, graphics (including new news intro), and music. On Wednesday, December 7, 2011, News 12 The Bronx became the sixth of the News 12 Networks to switch to high definition.
Since late 2010, News 12 The Bronx started producing Spanish news bulletins for its website called "News 12 El Bronx en Espanol" and on News 12 Interactive on iO TV Channel 612 featuring the talent of Geraldine Cols Azócar, Celia Mendoza, Alina Yaniz and Maria Vargas-Pion.
News 12 The Bronx and News 12 Brooklyn were the next-to-last and last of the News 12 Networks to switch to high definition broadcasts; News 12 The Bronx switched in early December 2011 and News 12 Brooklyn followed suita month later.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:31 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,157 times
LULZ!

You should write them a "strongly-worded letter."

Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,174 times
Why is it so hard to understand? Cablevision OWNS and produces News12. Why on earth would anyone expect them to offer it to FiOS or any other provider?! It is one of their differentiators and selling points. So then you must think HBO should allow (or sell the rights) to Showtime and Starz to broadcast some of their produced shows like Game of Thrones or Boardwalk Empire? If that were the case why would people purchase HBO? Same thing is true for Cablevision not offering News12 to another provider. It is just common sense.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:02 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
To your question about Long Island, there are technically 3 since you have Cablevision, Dish and Fios. However it all DEPENDS where you live. There are people in Long Island that can get pick between either Fios or Cablevsion as there are people that are stuck with one choice, usally just Cablevision. SAME story in Westchester.
The dominant cable company in Westchester and Long Island is Cablevision. There is some parts of Westchester where TWC has presence and they are the sole provider or they have to pick between TWC and FIOS. It's a very tiny part of Westchester in the Larchmont area.
For the 99% of people in Westchester, Cablevision is the prime cable provider just like in Long Island. In the same way, among those people, maybe 40% just like in Long Island have the option of getting Fios or Dish.
There is no part of Westchester where one can pick between all four providers(Cablevision, TWC, Fios, and Dish).

My WHOLE POINT was was since Cablevision offers News 12 programming to other cable providers DEPENDING on the area they are in, then they should offer it to the Fios.
Fios has operations in Texas, but there is no neeed for News 12 there. However, Fios has operations in the whole NY/NJ metro area. Considering Cablevision now let's TWC and Comcast use broadcast News 12, there is no reason for them not to allow Fios to have it too.
Here's the fact. I was a cable employee for years with TCI cable of Brookhaven(PJS) and later I worked for Cablevision as a contractor in Hauppauge and Riverhead. TCI traded its PJS branch to cablevision and quite a few others around the country. Cablevision did the same and traded other branches to TCI. I originally asked my old supervisor about this and he told me off the record that both were trying to get monopolies in their respective areas. The reason it is allowed is because it just means that it is one cable company in an area, county, or state but dish and other alternatives are not stopped from coming in. Cable companies are always cutting little side deals with each other but consider dish and fios the enemy, not a brother or sister company. Here's my point. In long island there is one cable company and then you have alternatives to cable. In westchester you have "3" cable companies covering different areas, and then you have the alternatives. Obviously there are certain areas where you can't use the alternatives based on trees, sometimes legal issues, some apartments don't allow dishes on the exterior, or sometimes fios doesn't cover that area. So westchester is totally different. 3 cable companies and then the alternatives, as opposed to one cable company covering all of long island otherwise you use the alternatives.***Side note. Cablevision is looking to expand news 12 across the country to all of their systems but obviously with the local news of that specific area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island