Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2020, 01:36 PM

19 posts, read 8,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Alex View Post
You know the point of hiring a contractor is so people dont have to act as their own contractor, right?

I'm going to do my own root canal next time... I have all the drill bits, and I'll borrow the wife's makeup mirror. I'm going to save thousands.

The issue is if you run a rough cost estimate of a project there is a huge disconnect between what you are being charged for vs the actual cost of material and labor. The difference is a huge amount which is pocketed by the Contractor or the Bath Fitters or Allure / Lowes or whomsoever you may decide to hire.

Certainly a big reno / big project like a complicated dormer / extensions etc there is no way to short cut a contractor in order to have the jobs streamlined but here in case of a 5x8 bathroom renovation there are usually two important person which can get you desired result - a really good certified / recommended plumber and a handy guy who specializes in tiling. Rest of the items are as per your taste and can be procured and delivered timely.

Contractor here can easily put $ 7k- 10K more than the actual cost involved. The same result with contractor involved will cost you atleast $ 18-20k instead of
$ 7,800 my friend paid and his bathroom is top class, elegantly done and as per his own design /choice.

Contractor in no way can be compared to a dentist /orthodontist in terms of skill set.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 02:24 PM

783 posts, read 1,422,687 times
I GC my full house renovation and second floor extension. The experience was like having 4 root canal at once but having gone through it, I feel very comfortable with any future renovation projects now being my own GC again. I can easily do a full bath renovation 5x8 for under $8K by hiring out each trade.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:26 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimleyboots View Post
So now that this thread has been bumped up, any recommendations on a good contractor for a bathroom renovation?
Location?

Old 01-21-2020, 07:46 PM

6 posts, read 2,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Location?
Farmingdale

Old 01-21-2020, 07:57 PM

397 posts, read 515,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skg2012 View Post
The issue is if you run a rough cost estimate of a project there is a huge disconnect between what you are being charged for vs the actual cost of material and labor. The difference is a huge amount which is pocketed by the Contractor or the Bath Fitters or Allure / Lowes or whomsoever you may decide to hire. I wish that were true...

Certainly a big reno / big project like a complicated dormer / extensions etc there is no way to short cut a contractor in order to have the jobs streamlined but here in case of a 5x8 bathroom renovation there are usually two important person which can get you desired result - a really good certified / recommended plumber and a handy guy who specializes in tiling. Rest of the items are as per your taste and can be procured and delivered timely. Hmmm.. Plumber and handy guy who does tile. Yep, I've seen his work.

So you have plumbing and tile work covered, but I dont follow what you're saying about the rest of the work...

Are you expecting the handy tile guy to demo, dispose of debris, repair damaged framing, wire new outlets, switches, lights, install exhaust fan and soffit or roof vent, insulate, drywall, tape and spackle, install vanity, medicine cabinets, counter, lights, paint, mouldings and shower doors?

Contractor here can easily put $ 7k- 10K more than the actual cost involved. The same result with contractor involved will cost you atleast $ 18-20k instead of
$ 7,800 my friend paid and his bathroom is top class, elegantly done and as per his own design /choice.

Sure, contractor can put $7-10K over cost onto job.. Contractor can also put $1,000,000.00 over cost of job. Either way, contractor isnt too likely to get said job.

Contractor in no way can be compared to a dentist /orthodontist in terms of skill set.

I was just joking with you.. I dont want to do my own root canal. I do have a handy tile guy that wants to give it a try though.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:09 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimleyboots View Post
Farmingdale
Sent you a DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island