Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:32 PM

26 posts, read 40,361 times

Advertisements

Purchased a home a year ago in Commack. For the most part its very updated. The home is 4 bedrooms 1.5 bath (1 full, 1 half). Its a colonial w/ all bedrooms upstairs w/ the full bath up there too. 2 of the bedrooms are rather small. We're considering converting one of the bedrooms into a master bath / 2 walk in closets. I am hoping that we will at least break even on the investment if/when we go to sell, which we probably will in 5-10 years.

So do you think people would be more incline to pay more for 4BR 1.5 bath, or 3BR and 2.5 bath?

I was quoted about 40K from Alure for the work, which I know they are very much on the high end of the market. I'd like to get some quotes from other companies. Any suggestions? I'm not looking for a 'contractor' but an accountable company..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 05:20 AM

22,679 posts, read 36,836,112 times
Nope. You lose all the people who put "4 BR" into an internet search engine or tell their agent they must have 4 BR.
But you're living in the house so you should do what works for you right now. Personally I wouldn't do any major work in a house I thought I might be selling in as little as 5 years (barring necessary-to-live work). Just MHO
Allure will usually be the high end of the quotes but they also usually work pretty fast.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:59 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,953 times
I would see if you could make the half bath a full bath. From my search, and from talking to my buyer's agent when we were looking, people are more attracted to a 4BR/2BA. We saw a house that was a 4BR/1BA. The kitchen in it was phenomenal, but there was only one bathroom. That house was still on the market, 8 months after we bought our house.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:32 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,235,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
I would see if you could make the half bath a full bath. From my search, and from talking to my buyer's agent when we were looking, people are more attracted to a 4BR/2BA. We saw a house that was a 4BR/1BA. The kitchen in it was phenomenal, but there was only one bathroom. That house was still on the market, 8 months after we bought our house.
I agree that a 4 bedroom is more marketable and has more value than a 3 bedroom but that most people are going to want a second full bath. However, having a 2nd full bath on the main floor would not appeal to me, when all the bedrooms are upstairs.

I would talk to a local realtor and see if they think creating a luxurious master suite would offset losing a 4th small bedroom. However, it's likely that even if they feel it would still sell ok, you not see a full return on the money you spend, esp. not with a shorter time frame. So it should be because it's to make the house the way you want it to be to live there.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:05 AM

703 posts, read 1,175,057 times
I'd rather have the 2.5 BR with 3BR, but I only have 2 kids.

As long as YOU don't actively need the 4th bedroom, Just do it and don't worry about breaking even.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:17 AM

4,676 posts, read 10,002,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeastoftinagra View Post
Purchased a home a year ago in Commack. For the most part its very updated. The home is 4 bedrooms 1.5 bath (1 full, 1 half). Its a colonial w/ all bedrooms upstairs w/ the full bath up there too. 2 of the bedrooms are rather small. We're considering converting one of the bedrooms into a master bath / 2 walk in closets. I am hoping that we will at least break even on the investment if/when we go to sell, which we probably will in 5-10 years.

So do you think people would be more incline to pay more for 4BR 1.5 bath, or 3BR and 2.5 bath?

I was quoted about 40K from Alure for the work, which I know they are very much on the high end of the market. I'd like to get some quotes from other companies. Any suggestions? I'm not looking for a 'contractor' but an accountable company..
What you're saying is that there is no separate masterbath .....just the full hall bath which everyone shares, with a powder room on the first floor? If so:

Convert the small bedroom to the master bath/closet.

No masterbath - your house would be automatically eliminated from my buying list regardless of how many bedrooms there are.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:51 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,992,159 times
I also have a 4BDR, 1.5BTH, 100 y/o colonial probably in the same configuration as the OP describes, and was considering the same thing.

In the end, we decided NOT to go with it for reasons that it won't show up in "minimum 4BDR" searches.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:09 PM

26 posts, read 40,361 times
Thanks for all the feedback!

What if we put a 4th bedroom in the basement? (w/o a bath). Would that be enough to be considered for the 4BR search? or does that not count..?

Old 08-28-2014, 12:11 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,002,003 times
Quote:

What if we put a 4th bedroom in the basement? (w/o a bath). Would that be enough to be considered for the 4BR search? or does that not count..?
Don't bother.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:30 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,235,015 times
Quote:

Which member of your family would you like to have sleeping in the basement, esp. when the only full baths are on the 2nd floor??

IMO, the house needs to work for you and your family. If you need the 4th bedroom, keep it. If your family is comfortable in 3 bedrooms (a very standard sized home on LI) and you would love a nice master suite with a great bath and closets, then make the house what you want it to be.

But don't expect a dollar for dollar return on investment - home improvements just don't work that way, regardless of what HGTV tells you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island