Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:16 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times

Advertisements

School Districts Map

Quote:
District Name: New York City Department Of Education
Total General Aid per Student: $7,646.00
Foundation Aid per Student: $5,358.00
Categorical Aid per Student: $2,288.00
Property Value per Student : $225,018.00
Percent of Students Eligible for Free-or-Reduced- Price Lunch (FRPL): 78%
District Need/Resource-Capacity Index: 1.46
Public School Enrollment: 1,035,438
On top of the property taxes, the NYC Income tax, in 2011-12 the NYCDOE received $7,646.00 Per Student in General Aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Well, their pay isn't that shabby - I know someone who is a first grade teacher and makes $80K - and that's after a 9 year maternity leave. That's right, 9 years. They get a 5 year leave and every time you have a baby the clock starts again. She went right back into the classroom she had left 9 years before. Nice job security.
Yes however they don't get paid during that time. So nothing wroing with a good teacher returning back to work.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:20 AM

I am going to go out on a limb here and say combine school districts and get rid of the hags making 125k to sit in a class and do nothing. Don't stone me I know that would mean (kids from poor-less fortunate areas going to school with kids from Half Hollow Hills, Roslyn, and such) Oh and getting rid of someone older. I know elder abuse but keep driving the young kids from the island after they cannot find jobs and you will have nothing left soon.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Yes however they don't get paid during that time. So nothing wroing with a good teacher returning back to work.
That's not the point. Of course they don't get paid. But it's pretty nice to sit home with your kids for 9 years (or more if you keep having kids) and know all you have to do is pick up the phone and you're back in the saddle making a nice salary. I mean seriously, who can do that in the private sector? I have another friend who was crying because when her youngest turned 5 and she called to quit, the principal told her to come get her stuff by the end of the week. She thought that was so mean!

P.S. This perk is available to all teachers, good AND bad.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I keep showing how the NYC income tax is nominal when factored against commuting (since so much LI income comes from NYC jobs). TOPS is $2400 at $80k salary so even the $4800 (plus the $5600) equal $10,400. Still LESS than my Levitt cape taxes and dwindling services. Yeah it's nicer and safer here, but we're talking pure numbers. It SHOULD be nicer, safer and with more educational opportunity based on cost per student. I have friends in Bklyn and they pay next to nothing in additional school fees, while our PTA has their hands out every other day for money.

If Queens teachers made $125k to teach KG, would programs be decimated overnight? I think so. Welcome to LI.

How are you getting an NYC income tax figure as low as $2400 on 80k. Its gonna be $2800 absent deductions.
Then commuting - most workers living in Brooklyn at your salary are buying a monthly metrocard at $104 or whatever it is now to take the subway or bus to their job. How much are your monthly LIRR costs? $230 or so? I hear your complaints, but your figures are off.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:04 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Yes they did but that's not a typical for NYC. They have decided to almost seperate themself and become the Long Island of the city. A lot of them consider this disposible income since they are high earners, it's almost like a competation for them when it comes to getting kids into schools.
The kind of public schools that are typical of the city will not compare favorably with the suburbs by a large measure. Take SD 26, which has one of the city's highest test scores. Classrooms are overflowing and kids have to take enrichment classes in the stairwells.

Park Slope, Battery Park City and other neighborhoods have upgraded their schools, but at a higher effective cost. So what families don't pay in property taxes, they pay for through higher fees.

These things still have to be paid for in one way or another, though I agree the expenses in suburban districts are becoming exorbitant (esp. the pensions).

Old 01-28-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The kind of public schools that are typical of the city will not compare favorably with the suburbs by a large measure. Take SD 26, which has one of the city's highest test scores. Classrooms are overflowing and kids have to take enrichment classes in the stairwells.

Park Slope, Battery Park City and other neighborhoods have upgraded their schools, but at a higher effective cost. So what families don't pay in property taxes, they pay for through higher fees.

These things still have to be paid for in one way or another, though I agree the expenses in suburban districts are becoming exorbitant (esp. the pensions).

Who do you think build these schools. lol. Ok this is how it works. They city sets puts together a urban plan to improve a neighborhood and in 10 years get developers to build (we could never on what to build on LI so don't even go there) then the city does some building too and new schools are built and attract families making above a certain income and you have gentrfication.

On LI we would still be discussin what to build and who should pay and how much traffic will be in the area and will Hispanics come into the neighborhood(had to do it) and the developers will pull out and we will be left with what we now know as Long Island today.

Also so what if classrooms are overflowing. We have people complaning that a class will have more than 20 kids. If we wanted to kids to learn we will make the sacrafice we are in denial and until that changes things will continue to head downward. How can those kids still achieve the same results without the highest paid teachers.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
/\/\

I'm just saying those programs that were cited in the first post were paid for by the families through fees. To quote again:

Quote:
Brooklyn: Elementary school has full music program starting in KG. Complete orchestra with multiple instruments and sections. Full drama program with plays starting in KG.
LI: Elementary has music program that starts in grade 3 with 2 instrument choices (Violin and Viola). Drama program with plays start in 4th grade.
Here is the story if you don't believe:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/ed...anted=all&_r=0

Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
How are you getting an NYC income tax figure as low as $2400 on 80k. Its gonna be $2800 absent deductions.
Then commuting - most workers living in Brooklyn at your salary are buying a monthly metrocard at $104 or whatever it is now to take the subway or bus to their job. How much are your monthly LIRR costs? $230 or so? I hear your complaints, but your figures are off.
You really think NYC commuting is equivalent to LI commuting price-wise? Really? Oh please!

The cheapest monthly ticket is $223 (Zone 4) and that's in Nassau close to Queens.

Then, unless you work walkable to Penn Station (most don't) add on that $104 a month for the Metrocard. (There are no discounts because you use the LIRR also.)

A monthly ticket from Huntington (a popular station) is $299. Plus, most can tack on the $104 for a Metrocard.

A monthly ticket from Ronkonkoma (another popular station) is $334. Again, most can add $104 to that.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Haven't been a hater so much lately so today I think I'll vent.

Brooklyn: Taxes on 3000+ sq ft home, valued at $1,000,000 $5600
LI: Taxes on 1800sq ft home valued at $350k $11,000 ($7800 schools)

Brooklyn: Elementary school has full music program starting in KG. Complete orchestra with multiple instruments and sections. Full drama program with plays starting in KG.
LI: Elementary has music program that starts in grade 3 with 2 instrument choices (Violin and Viola). Drama program with plays start in 4th grade.

Just an example of the arts and our schools do jump up in quality in HS but that is more demographics than value for the dollar. Many many fewer at risk kids, poor kids, etc.

I just don't get how we justify what we pay. Statistically we have a lot of intel finalists for a small area which is great, although the names read like a who's who from India and China (nothing wrong with it, just saying) but we also send a big contingent to the military and community colleges.

Now the discussion of dropping AP programs, etc.

Why can't we just say it out loud that mandated, contractual benefits and pensions coupled with unfunded State madates are taking pencils (and drumsticks and paint) right out of the kid's hands.

If we are so hell bent on "great schools" for the kids, how do we accept this? For what we pay, shouldn't we be adding programs? For $20k per kid, shouldn't we be at the forefront of technology?

Enrollments down, programs cut, costs up?! Somebody help me with the math.
You know I've been saying that out loud for years!

School districts on LI are run like super-entitled workplaces for the adults and education is just a byproduct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island