Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:03 PM

7 posts, read 25,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplm
School (District)........................................ ............Standard Ranking (County/Percent Free Lunch)
Wheatley School (East Williston).............................. .245.0 (N/3%)
Cold Spring Harbor HS (CHS Central)..........................238.0 (S/<1%)
Great Neck South (Great Neck).................................23 6.6 (N/3%)
Plainview-Old Bethpage (Plainview-Old Bethpage)..........232.7 (N/2%)
Roslyn High School (Roslyn)......................................232. 1 (N/12%)

Roslyn High School is ranked pretty high on this list, but their free lunch % is relatively high compared to the other high ranking schools (12% vs 0% to 5%). Any idea why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There is a pocket within Roslyn (it's been a long time so I don't recall exactly where) that is rather poor. That might area might be affecting the numbers.
We're thinking about buying a home in Roslyn. Are there areas where we should look into and areas where we should avoid? Any input would be greatly appreciated. We realize this may sound bad, but poorer areas do tend to have more problems. Sorry if we offend anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 07:54 AM

85 posts, read 255,053 times
A lot of good advice has been offered here. Long Island has many outstanding school districts that offer outstanding schools. However there is more kids learn in school than the curriculum,core values are influenced by peers. This is something that you may want to consider when discussing districts, just because an area has great test scores doesn't mean it is a good fit. I believe that in just about any district on the Island kids can get an outstanding education as long as the parents are active in the process, it's when we surrender our roles and leave it to a district to educate our kids that we run in to problems.IMHO

I wish you much success in your quest.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:34 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
Hello.....I'm moving to Long Island from the Bronx w/ 2 high school aged kids to-be. In the Bronx we had to pay for Catholic school Junior High to keep our kids away from inner city problems:

Please help me and tell me if any of the high schools in the following districts have inner city problems of drugs, crime, gangs, bad discipline in classroom.

Any comments at all would be most welcome!

Nassau:

Herricks
Bellmore-Merrick
Bethpage
Carle Place
East Meadow
East Rockaway
Hicksville
Island Trees
Levittown
Lynbrook
Massapequa
Mineola
Oceanside
Plainedge
Rockville Centre
Seaford
Wantagh

Suffolk:

Babylon
Commack
West Babylon
Bellmore-Merrick are overall good schools (i am a product of those), however they have a lot of drugs and problems with the kids- kids getting beat-up etc...anyone remember the good old mepham football scandal?

Hicksville can be iffy- not that it's a bad thing but Hicksville is very very diverse. Lots of middle-eastern families.

Levittown overall is a nice area but I don't think the schools are too good...as I was offered a teaching job in a levittown school and I am not certified nor do I have a degree in education (my degree is in communications). They are so desperate for teachers they will take anything that breathes.

West Babylon is iffy too- I have heard it's not such a great area but maybe I am wrong. (I am a nassau girl- I don't wander into farm country too often). Not sure how the schools are there either. Nassau's def. the better county in my opinion.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:10 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,051 times
West Babylon is iffy too- I have heard it's not such a great area but maybe I am wrong. (I am a nassau girl- I don't wander into farm country too often). Not sure how the schools are there either. Nassau's def. the better county in my opinion.

Farm country! - not since the 1950s. Where have you been?

Old 11-06-2007, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,155 times
Hi,

At 14 my parents sent me to school in Wantagh where my grandparents live. My grandfather is still out there and I visit often.

Wantagh was a great school - good classes/college prep, range of activities from drama to band to lots of sports, one of the largest girl's sportsnights around. That said I was one of 2 mixed race kids, maybe 2 more Latinas and a couple of East Indians. It wasn't a problem but it was weird. The town hasn't changed much, if anything it is more white-working-middle class than it was. In the 1970s there were teachers, lawyers, one doctor and other white collar types on the block who had grown up in Brooklyn, Bronx... Now there are NONE of those - mostly firemen, police, post workers who grew up on the Island. AND you see beige-brown-black landscapers, housecleaners and babysitters which you never used to (neighborhood kids used to do that stuff or you did it yourself). My grandfather's house is still the only house on the block where Eastie/Westies visit (East Indians & West Indians - one side of the famly) -- one of my cousins always says people look at her as if she's lost when she is bike riding or walking downtown. The class differences are obvious. Though I hear the education is still great with most of the school going to college. The guidance department was PHENOMENAL in helping with scholarships to those of us who needed to find them. I hear they still are. There were drugs then. There still are. But my experience was much more innocent than my younger brother and sister who did go to HS in the city.

Bellemore, Merrick, Seaford, East Meadow, Massapequa, Lynbrook, Levittown, Hicksville, Island Trees are all pretty much similiar. Hempstead, Babylon, Freeport have terrible gang issues in the schools. Rockville Centre is very snobby.

Good luck.

Genevieve

Old 11-06-2007, 08:14 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,271 times
Default Giving Nassau county residents a bad name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Bellmore-Merrick are overall good schools (i am a product of those), however they have a lot of drugs and problems with the kids- kids getting beat-up etc...anyone remember the good old mepham football scandal?

Hicksville can be iffy- not that it's a bad thing but Hicksville is very very diverse. Lots of middle-eastern families.

Levittown overall is a nice area but I don't think the schools are too good...as I was offered a teaching job in a levittown school and I am not certified nor do I have a degree in education (my degree is in communications). They are so desperate for teachers they will take anything that breathes.

I beg to differ on nassau county being the better county...no offense, but as you mentioned, it appears that you have never really ventured outside your little Nassau world if you think much higher property taxes for much smaller plots of land for the privilege of living in an old cape is better...but as somebody who lived in Queens, Nassau and now Suffolk, I may be biased. But your other comment concerning Levittown being desperate for teachers!!! You are out of your mind if you think there is a single long island teaching position (the holy grail of teacher positions in the country) that does not have 1000+ resumes for each position. Also, since when can a district hire somebody without an education degree and having attained Master's by the third year in order to get one of these tenure-based positions. There has got to be some teachers on this discussion board to back me on this. Teaching students graduate each year from Molloy, Dowling, St. John's, CW Post, etc and end up leaving for other states and/or staying as a Teacher's Aide for years before getting a crack at a fulltime spot...you are kidding me right??

Old 11-06-2007, 09:06 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post

Apparently hiding under a leftover potato.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:33 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post

Dude ...wheres the farms?

I live 40 miles east of W Babylon and I dont have any left.

Kinda wish we did.

Nassoles crack me up.
You couldnt pay me to live in Queens East.

C

Old 11-07-2007, 01:03 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
The farms are in Malverne and Woodbury. Rocky Point doesn't have any, but it does have a huge nature preserve that looks like it's probably the size of East Meadow. We in Nassau sometimes confuse one nothingness for other kinds of nothingness while driving through, it's an easy mistake....I think Jdawg smoked some rocks before posting all this foolishness, though.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:30 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,033 times

LMFAO, that's a good one!!! I "know" a few people that have never crossed the county line but assume Na$$hole county is superior, it makes me laugh. do us a favor, stay in your crowded, rotty strip mall filled, over taxed county & don't bother coming out here to clog up our roads. Go pick your pumpkins at cross-island or some other food store near your house.

Last edited by KellyFG; 11-07-2007 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island