Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:44 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Small bar with a good jukebox in the Pine Hollow Shopping Center in the early to late 70s early 80s.
It was the place where everyone went senior year in HS and before. It seemed they let everyone in then.
Across Pine Hollow Rd. there was a disco called the Rush, which might have been some kind of double entendre about a drug used by Disco people and city people who went to the Rush dressed up, gold chains. polyester, Kiana dresses, and teased hair. They drove Firebirds and Camaros. Not many were from Oyster Bay.

Cag's was different. Real North Shore ;ayed back. People drove there in VW bugs, Saabs, old Volvos and their parents cars, dressed in jeans, La Coste shirts, Indian skirts, silver jewelry painters pants, Sperry top Siders, painters pants and overalls. Hail was long and straight on girls. Shaggy to long on guys. No one spent much time with a blow drier.

The place was dark and paneled. A Framed poster served to set us apart from the dpscp people across the street. It read " AVOIDReelin In the THE RUSH - come to Cag's.

It was a big place on Thanksgiving Eve When every one was home from college. It was great to meet up with everyone compare colleges and remember way back when.
Music I remember includes "Channges" by David Bowie, "Ramblin' Man " the Allman Brothers, "Reelin" in the Years" by Steely Dan "Walk on the Wild Side" by Lou Reed, and 'Put the Wine in the Coconut" by hmmmm I'm am not sure and a lot of other goof stuff. Hmm Maybe I should put it on my I -pod. But it would be different. I'd be listening alone, no paneling, smoky mirrors or catching the the attentiom with your sunkisk caramel hair as you sip Tuborg from a transclucent cup and silver thin bangels jangle on skinny sum bronzed wrists...

Any thing could happen and every thing would. You were eighteen forever and ever, At least every night. And it was alright.

Any one go there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 04:01 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
I was at the Upper Deck Pub in Syosset and Docks End (never Sunshine's) in Huntington village - great high school bars in the day. Maybe Cagney's I don't remember.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,535 times
I used to hang out there all the time in 71-73. Great narrow bar. Billy Joel would go there too and once he got into a big fight with his first wife who was also his manager, right at the bar.

Went there in my VW van, the one with the bed, shag carpeting, and paneling. Convenient. It was right off 106 and either directly across or not far from a gravel pit of some kind of open sand mining.

We hung out there or in Bayville, at a bar owned by the Billy the Kid, the one who appears in one of Joel's songs; there, or another small joint with w pool table.

Syosset
Class of 73

Old 01-02-2016, 07:20 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Guilty!!!!!!

Though not regularly.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,368 times
Cagney's, Alinor's (25A & Rt106), My-oh-My (next to the Oyster Bay Theater), Marshall's, and Barney's Corner... Early - mid 70's hangouts for St Dom's & OBHS misguided youth

Old 05-24-2016, 06:59 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto1 View Post
Cagney's, Alinor's (25A & Rt106), My-oh-My (next to the Oyster Bay Theater), Marshall's, and Barney's Corner... Early - mid 70's hangouts for St Dom's & OBHS misguided youth
Cag's and Rumrunner were our 2nd & 3rd places for us it was the Dublin Pub first. Or on an off weekend, Copperfields.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:25 PM

20,927 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Cag's and Rumrunner were our 2nd & 3rd places for us it was the Dublin Pub first. Or on an off weekend, Copperfield's.
My uncle was a bartender there for many years at Rumrunner's.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My uncle was a bartender there for many years at Rumrunner's.
For about a year that was our stomping grounds, after tiring of the same crowd at the Dublin. I do recall a contest that had to do with stuffing marshmallows in someones mouth to win a bottle of champagne. Not saying that I did it, but do know of others in the group that did!!!

Old 05-26-2016, 02:03 PM

20,927 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
For about a year that was our stomping grounds, after tiring of the same crowd at the Dublin. I do recall a contest that had to do with stuffing marshmallows in someones mouth to win a bottle of champagne. Not saying that I did it, but do know of others in the group that did!!!
Around what year did you hang out there?

Old 05-26-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Around what year did you hang out there?
Like I said we were mostly Dublin creatures but would flip around every now and again, somewhere in the 1971 -1976 range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island