Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 AM

414 posts, read 808,613 times

Advertisements

You wont even get to a trial, and will be in front of a judge for all of 5 seconds. The way these courts work its like a factory. You please not guilty, will probably talk to some assistant DA who will tell you they can reduce both tickets to one parking fine for $200-$300, no points. They will hand that info to the judge. When they call your name, judge will ask if you plead guilty to the charge he has in front of him (parking or whatever it is), you say yes sir, pay the fine, and be on your way. All they want is your money. They will do this same procedure for 99% of the people there. I one got a speeding, no turn signal, and no seat belt ticket in Nassau when I was 18, all got reduced to tailgating, which at the time was no points, and I paid like $200, instead of the probably $800 and a few points. For something like this, don't waste the money on a lawyer. Also, any tint on front windows in NY is illegal, so doesn't probably matter if he used a meter on them or not. Please don't stress over this, you will be amazed how easy and fast it is. Be sure to revive this thread when done to let us know how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,382 times
Next time pull over and do it in side your door jam

Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
You wont even get to a trial, and will be in front of a judge for all of 5 seconds. The way these courts work its like a factory. You please not guilty, will probably talk to some assistant DA who will tell you they can reduce both tickets to one parking fine for $200-$300, no points. They will hand that info to the judge. When they call your name, judge will ask if you plead guilty to the charge he has in front of him (parking or whatever it is), you say yes sir, pay the fine, and be on your way. All they want is your money. They will do this same procedure for 99% of the people there. I one got a speeding, no turn signal, and no seat belt ticket in Nassau when I was 18, all got reduced to tailgating, which at the time was no points, and I paid like $200, instead of the probably $800 and a few points. For something like this, don't waste the money on a lawyer. Also, any tint on front windows in NY is illegal, so doesn't probably matter if he used a meter on them or not. Please don't stress over this, you will be amazed how easy and fast it is. Be sure to revive this thread when done to let us know how it goes.
Same thing here. One speeding ticket in my life, on Salisbury Park Drive in Westbury about 20 years ago. Got it reduced to a tailgating charge. Took 2 minutes.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 AM

520 posts, read 1,653,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Same thing here. One speeding ticket in my life, on Salisbury Park Drive in Westbury about 20 years ago. Got it reduced to a tailgating charge. Took 2 minutes.
Mr B,

You're posting in the wrong thread. This one isn't 6 years old.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:57 AM

252 posts, read 419,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitor Joe View Post
Be a man. You're guilty.Plead out and get over it. You sound as if you would plead up to worse crimes so cut your losses and move on.
This!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:24 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,592 times
Dont sweat it, go to court and admit wrong and ask for lieniency, based on your driving record. Nassau you can do this, as DMan72 said, if it were Suffolk or NYC, youd be SOL.
TWO VERY IMPORTANT THINGS:
1. Get dressed for the occasion, business attire, with a tie. Show respect for his/her court, the judge will notice and appreciate it. Theyre sick of seeing losers with ill fitting clothes in poor taste.

2. Do NOT take a defensive driving class until AFTER this is settled. The 4 point reduction only affects points assesed BEFORE the class. If your court date is after, the conviction is after so those points will not be reduced. Points are affixed to the conviction date not the violation date.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:39 AM

8 posts, read 36,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Dont sweat it, go to court and admit wrong and ask for lieniency, based on your driving record. Nassau you can do this, as DMan72 said, if it were Suffolk or NYC, youd be SOL.
TWO VERY IMPORTANT THINGS:
1. Get dressed for the occasion, business attire, with a tie. Show respect for his/her court, the judge will notice and appreciate it. Theyre sick of seeing losers with ill fitting clothes in poor taste.

2. Do NOT take a defensive driving class until AFTER this is settled. The 4 point reduction only affects points assesed BEFORE the class. If your court date is after, the conviction is after so those points will not be reduced. Points are affixed to the conviction date not the violation date.
So you're saying plead not guilty, plead my case and ask for leniency. I will no doubt dress up in a suit/tie and take all of your advice.

Thank you for all of your advice. I'm coming off as a pansy, but I've never been in court before, am nervous (feel like I committed a serious crime) and will be sure to never end up in this situation again.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:52 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
Mr B,

You're posting in the wrong thread. This one isn't 6 years old.
I thought it was from 2013 on the Hebrew calendar and this post was from over 3000 years ago. My mistake.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin010 View Post
But what I am confused about is what do I say when I go to trial? I didn't realize I was speeding, I wasn't in the right state of mind, but if the cop said I was speeding, then I was speeding. I was going a bit faster than 30, but I didn't think I was doing 50. I only told the officer "Oh man, I apologize, I didn't realize I was going that fast". I actually thought I was getting pulled over for something else.

What could I possibly say when they ask me to state my case? If I say "I didn't realize I was going fast", I'm still guilty aren't I?

(I really am a first timer, I've never been in court before for anything).
You won't go to trial. First offense, speed not excessive and an equipment violation. You can negotiate a deal with the prosecuting attorney when you get to court. Plead not guilty via mail and you will receive a court date. On that date, see the prosecuting attorney and tell him you're willing to plead guilty to a lesser charge. Be aware that any moving violation will mean points on your license (and an insurance company problem) but an equipment violation will not cause you a problem.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking in terms of the defensive driver class.

Also, people which traffic violation agency is the one that has the reputation of refusing to negotiate on tickets? NYC? Suffolk County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island