Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 12:15 AM

21 posts, read 46,411 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering pulling out on the purchase of a new home b/c have discovered it to be almost 1/2 mile from high tension power lines to the south of it, and within 1 mile to the northwest of it. This has caused us great concern considering all of the literature online. WE love this home, but are willing to let it go.The problem is that we have been looking at Commack for over a year now, and all we can figure out to do is look at arial views from google maps. It's very hard to detect where these power lines are. Looking for them on google maps is difficult. In fact we only detected one set of them when we drove past them. Does anyone know of any kind of power line grid map we can obtain, maybe from LIPA? Having a map of where LIPA has these would make our search much easier. Already checked their website--nothing; nothing online either. Looking more closely at the google maps reveals that most of Commack, EN is covered with these high T's, and most homes are within 1/2 mile of them, which may mean we have to take this area off our plans. Any timely assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 AM

95 posts, read 206,787 times
Half a mile? Are you serious? At that distance the EM field strength of the will be less than what you get standing inside your house just from the juice running in your walls.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:52 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,154,094 times
A half mile is not a concern.

If it is you might as well look on the east end or off LI.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:02 AM

516 posts, read 1,075,391 times
I agree, 1/2 mile to power lines is no problem.

Do you use a Cell Phone? Just what kind of radiation do you think you are holding to your head, Microwave ovens use RF energy to cook food, Cell Phones use RF in the microwave range.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:54 PM

21 posts, read 46,411 times
I appreciate your responses. Our concern is just that there is so much literature, even studies from reputable sources, like the New England JOurnal of Medicine, that say there is a link. Plus the middle school is only 400 meters away from a set of them as well. What is a safe distance? or isn't there such a thing? And why are there other parts of LI that don't have these high T's anywhere around them? Where do the residents get their power from? I couldn't see any in Nassau or like rocafella05 said, on the further east end.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:09 AM

3,515 posts, read 5,697,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citta012 View Post
I appreciate your responses. Our concern is just that there is so much literature, even studies from reputable sources, like the New England JOurnal of Medicine, that say there is a link. Plus the middle school is only 400 meters away from a set of them as well. What is a safe distance? or isn't there such a thing? And why are there other parts of LI that don't have these high T's anywhere around them? Where do the residents get their power from? I couldn't see any in Nassau or like rocafella05 said, on the further east end.
400 meters, thats roughly 1200 yards or 3600 feet, 3/4 of a mile. I'd only be concerned if they were in my backyard .

Old 02-11-2013, 06:31 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,154,094 times
Dont'cha think there would be a million lawsuits by now, especially here on LI if it was a proven danger?

Quote:

Old 02-11-2013, 06:42 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
You are kidding right??? With all the factors to locate the right home including schools, taxes, transportation needs to commute and airplane noise you are now going to worry about High power lines that may be within the same zip code.

Perhaps you would be better off outside the NY metro..

Old 02-11-2013, 07:01 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Yeah, you are never going to find a house with all the variables you are worried about. This definitely falls into the "ignore it" category. Otherwise go to a rural area and live like a prepper. They have a forum here you can check out.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:29 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Probably because there is only a limited need for these big things ... much "smaller" power lines are good for going from home to home, for instance, so they make up way more of what carries our power.

Yes, Nassau does have them. As a matter of fact, a guy I grew up with since I was a baby lived on a street off of Peninsula Blvd. in Hewlett (which has a big row of them marching along); much, much closer than what you're anticipating with the house you're looking at. So far, he and his family seem okay (knock wood).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island