Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 PM

796 posts, read 1,747,589 times

Advertisements

For those of you who don't follow local Garden City politics, one of the most heated issues as of now is the Rockaway / Merillon Ave intersection. Being one of the most ridiculous traffic designs I've ever seen and also right next to the high school (a haven of ignorant drivers), there are tons of accidents and incidents there weekly.

Many have suggested to install a traffic light to the intersection. However, this is not legally possible for the village, since that section of Rockaway Ave is actually owned by the county, and not the village proper.

My question is what exactly determines who owns a road in Nassau County? I can understand New Hyde Park Rd or Nassau Blvd being owned by the county, but Rockaway Ave seems a bit strange. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 PM

732 posts, read 1,730,422 times
Nassau County had a route numbering system a lot like Suffolk, but the route system is not used anymore except for determining jurisdiction. Nassau-Suffolk County Road History

It seems like Suffolk is far more driver-friendly with less awkward intersections.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 AM

22,634 posts, read 36,593,496 times
I have been following that story and had numerous close calls there myself. I used to avoid heading north on Rockaway from Stewart at all costs, especially if I wanted to continue left onto Merillon - no one ever stops at that damn southbound stop sign. I was surprised to hear it's a county road, too. That means the county is responsible for maintaining it and the village probably doesn't want that responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island