Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:24 AM

398 posts, read 837,991 times

Advertisements

So every Quarter I dive into the following attached reports:

- The Elliman Report - Quarterly Survey of Long Island Residential Sales
(http://www.elliman.com/pdf/c42ecd642...2b86fb7529184a)
- Labor.ny.gov - Labor Statistics for the Long Island Region
(http://www.labor.ny.gov/stats/lon/index.shtm)

The housing market overall has indicators showing that inventory is in decline, or stagnant while home sales are increasing from the same period last year, and a slight decline from last quarter. To me I see this as would be sellers seeing improvements in the market and waiting to list their homes. This has lowered the inventory of available homes which contributed to an uptick in home prices.

The number of private sector jobs, increased 0.8% from the same time last year. Not sure how I interpret this statistic but I'll assume jobs are not in decline. How secure are people feeling in their current jobs?

As for housing in general, it's safe to assume you would not see improvement unless people are employed and feel secure if their jobs. One might not purchase a home if they're not secure about their future.

Anyone else has thoughts on Long Island, how are we all doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 12:09 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Holding up fine, in my 'hood anyways. Ive seen 6 houses sell in the past 7 months.

With the city being in a construction heaven right now I think within the next year you will see more and more projects happening on LI.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:31 PM

9 posts, read 14,250 times
That 0.8% represents about 8,000 jobs. How much did the population increase? From 2010-2011 Nassau/Suffolk gained about 10,000 residents, according to The Long Island Index. 2012's numbers aren't available. So the question is how does this 0.8% affect the unemployment numbers? Did more than 8,000 people hove here?

Old 02-15-2013, 12:32 PM

58 posts, read 162,562 times
I can't speak to the employment, but as far as real estate, the big story here in Huntington is inventory, specifically lack thereof. The average time on the market is still high, but has gone down significantly over the past couple months. Even so, well priced houses that are in relatively good shape and priced fairly are going quickly, sometimes with multiple offers. On the lower end of the price range, we have seen prices go from being flat to rising. All in all, very hopeful signs.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:21 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,280 times
In a place with no industry the deadly cycle will come back.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:04 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,393 times
Found this in today's Newsday Online. Really captures how I and many other readers feel about the state of LI today:

https://www.newsday.com/opinion/edit...ling-1.4657228

Old 02-16-2013, 01:18 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
We are a medium size employer on long island . We have been adding people the last few years.

We are still hiring but the problem is there are mostly those left that are really not suitable for employment.

Every company has their core best of breed employees. This core would never be layed off unless the company was going out of business.

Even then these employees rarely hit the street before they are snatched up.

What we are seeing is those that companies flagged as disposable.

More then half of what we see

Can not pass a drug test

The rest have trouble passing a back ground check, credit check or a simple math test.

Many can barely speak english , many sound like street thugs and the rest just dress like the corner drug dealer

On the lower end we had warehouse applicants tell us they want at least 25 dollars an hour because that is what their unemployment check and working at the local bodega is the equal of.

It is a joke trying to get help.

You tell me what the real unemployment numbers are once you weed out those who either are not employable or don't want to give up their unemployment checks.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:00 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Employees was one reason why we sold our business last year. It was getting harder to get quality employees, ones that didnt do side jobs, ones that had clean licenses, ones that were dependable.

From a high of employing 15, we are so glad that phase is gone. Yes, we were paying well above the going rate, offering health benefits also. But still the last employee we hired, stole gas from us.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:11 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Can not pass a drug test

The rest have trouble passing a back ground check, credit check or a simple math test.

Many can barely speak english , many sound like street thugs and the rest just dress like the corner drug dealer

On the lower end we had warehouse applicants tell us they want at least 25 dollars an hour because that is what their unemployment check and working at the local bodega is the equal of.

It is a joke trying to get help.
Apple store employees are well educated through college and articulate. If you go there for service, you will observe that most of them will easily pass a drug test, can speak fluent english and spanish (and discuss philosophy), dress well in the hipster sense and work for $18/hr or less. They also probably score well in SAT math. Could your company possibly poach from Apple stores?

Old 02-16-2013, 05:23 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
I doubt anyone can compete when the kids get to work for apple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island