Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:15 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts about the Glen Cove SD?

Would prefer to hear from folks with actual experience
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 03:30 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
I don't know anyone with actual experience. Anyone I knew who lived there went to private school. (That could be a hint about the public schools though ... maybe!)

Old 02-20-2013, 05:34 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I don't know anyone with actual experience. Anyone I knew who lived there went to private school. (That could be a hint about the public schools though ... maybe!)
I am sure that anyone who lives in the well-off areas of Glen Cove sends their kids to Friends Academy, Portledge school or a religious school. Glen Cove has its charms and attractions, but let's just say that people don't move there for the quality of the schools.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 PM

Thanks for confirming my observations!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,203 times
My cousins were raised there, and did fine. They were heavily involved in the music and drama programs in high school, and are both at good colleges right now. From speaking with my aunt, it sounds like the kind of district where parental involvement is important - kids from good families seem to be, by and large, successful, although overall the district's reputation and numbers are not particularly good.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
My cousins were raised there, and did fine. They were heavily involved in the music and drama programs in high school, and are both at good colleges right now. From speaking with my aunt, it sounds like the kind of district where parental involvement is important - kids from good families seem to be, by and large, successful, although overall the district's reputation and numbers are not particularly good.
Thanks for you input!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:34 AM

3 posts, read 33,986 times
I am a product of Glen Cove Schools along with many of my friends. We have gone onto college and have successful careers. I agree with Infoseeker52, parental involvement is very important, regardless of school district, but involved parents will know that the Glen Cove School district produces well prepared students. I have just purchased a home in Glen Cove and will be sending my daughter to the schools.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:50 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Seems to have a similar profile to the Huntington schools in that it has a good number of weathy, middle class, and poor residing in the same district. And has folks from a variety of racial and ethnic backgrounds. I live in neither Glen Cove nor Huntington but I have first-hand knowledge that a good number of the wealthy and middle class in both districts do not attend the public schools.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,384 times
Glen Cove schools are very diverse due to the people who live there coming from many different walks of life. From the wealthy to the working class. Students will hopefully benefit from this diversity and grow up becoming more tolerant and less bigoted. At the very least, students from Glen Cove schools have many resources at their disposal to develop into well rounded individuals. i.e. good sports, music and drama programs, surrounded by top notch summer camps, swimming pool facilities, nature perseves, etc.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:28 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Seems to have a similar profile to the Huntington schools in that it has a good number of weathy, middle class, and poor residing in the same district. And has folks from a variety of racial and ethnic backgrounds. I live in neither Glen Cove nor Huntington but I have first-hand knowledge that a good number of the wealthy and middle class in both districts do not attend the public schools.
Sounds just like Westbury!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island