Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:13 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Swanson View Post
I would never want to raise them there either, or I wouldn't live here.

What I don't want to happen is that when they grow up, they have some misconception that LI is the only place in the world.
Is this something unique to LI? To allay your (odd) concern, LI is actually shedding more people from the 20's & early 30's demographic than most areas. I take it you're new here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 02:58 AM

69 posts, read 93,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Is this something unique to LI? To allay your (odd) concern, LI is actually shedding more people from the 20's & early 30's demographic than most areas. I take it you're new here?
I see so many families out here with people in the "20's & early 30's demographic" that still live at home with mommy & daddy and have no ambition to leave home. Most in that category have no idea about any place other than LI. I take it you're one of them?

Your statistic is irrelevant to my concern.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times
I just have to say that is a real da*n shame that we have a thread from a nice poster who is young and open-minded to consider living in LI yet the general consensus is that he/she should live in NYC because of his age and income. Yet, we have a bazillion threads on this board complaining about the lack of young, single people in their 20s living here - threads where we lament the loss of this demographic, and wondering why they don't stay, wondering how can we get them to remain here and improve this area, etc, etc. Its just so contradictory to me. If we keep encouraging young people to leave LI because its just a place for couples with kids, then we are cementing our own demise. We need to stop this mentality, and start encouraging young people to consider LI as more than just a bunch of bedroom communities.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:15 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I just have to say that is a real da*n shame that we have a thread from a nice poster who is young and open-minded to consider living in LI yet the general consensus is that he/she should live in NYC because of his age and income. Yet, we have a bazillion threads on this board complaining about the lack of young, single people in their 20s living here - threads where we lament the loss of this demographic, and wondering why they don't stay, wondering how can we get them to remain here and improve this area, etc, etc. Its just so contradictory to me. If we keep encouraging young people to leave LI because its just a place for couples with kids, then we are cementing our own demise. We need to stop this mentality, and start encouraging young people to consider LI as more than just a bunch of bedroom communities.
first of all, what happens on this board has zero effect on "real life".

Secondly, it's not like we're telling the guy to commute from Queens to a job in Melville. HE WORKS IN THE CITY. At that age, I did everything in my power to live in Manhattan as quickly as I could coming out of college.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:26 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,651 times
Quote:
Yes, and if we can offer young people more affordable housing, besides peoples' converted basement or garage apartments for $1000/mo, that would go a long way towards being supportive of their decision to live here. People can rent real apartments in cities such as Houston, for what some of us pay in utilities each month. Now I'm not pushing Houston, but there are many cities where the housing options alone are so much brighter and affordable for young people, selling them on LI is really doing them a disservice.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I just have to say it's a real shame someone whose alleged profession it is to analyze facts and advise accordingly would generalize a 150+ post thread without regard for the original post.

No one questions the phenomena you speak of, but it is the reason for my advice, not a result of it.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:34 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Swanson View Post
I see so many families out here with people in the "20's & early 30's demographic" that still live at home with mommy & daddy and have no ambition to leave home. Most in that category have no idea about any place other than LI. I take it you're one of them?

Your statistic is irrelevant to my concern.
No, I'm not one of them.

Again (and along the lines of having no idea about any place other than NYC/LI), what makes you think this is unique to LI? If anything, your kid is less likely to fall in that category based on the irrelevant statistic.
But you can go ahead and worry about that if you want. Skyrocketing college tuition, drugs, higher CoL, loss of US competitiveness/jobs and such should take a backseat to your concern.

I asked if you were new because an earlier comment plus the one I quoted made it seem that way (plus the new screen name). That's all. The 20's/early 30s demographic is clearly leaving LI. Also, I'm seeing a lot of parents' of the people I grew up with living very nice lives here on cushy pensions. There's a growing empty-nester/boomer demographic on LI replacing the young adults that is not hard to miss.

Quote:
I agree with your sentiments, but in this case the OP is probably better off not buying on LI at the moment.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
No, I'm not one of them.

Again (and along the lines of having no idea about any place other than NYC/LI), what makes you think this is unique to LI? If anything, your kid is less likely to fall in that category based on the irrelevant statistic.
But you can go ahead and worry about that if you want. Skyrocketing college tuition, drugs, higher CoL, loss of US competitiveness/jobs and such should take a backseat to your concern.

I asked if you were new because an earlier comment plus the one I quoted made it seem that way (plus the new screen name). That's all. The 20's/early 30s demographic is clearly leaving LI. Also, I'm seeing a lot of parents' of the people I grew up with living very nice lives here on cushy pensions. There's a growing empty-nester/boomer demographic on LI replacing the young adults that is not hard to miss.
I'm not interested in statistics, anecdotes or forum opinions when discussing my kids. It's that simple. We can generalize and discuss, but in this context it's irrelevant to me. The OP gives the impression that he's afraid of the big bad city (OP, this is just my interpretation of your post). That's what I don't like and I see a lot of it here, in real life. Not statisitcally or otherwise.

I am not new here either.

I agree with much of what you say.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Reality is reality. I offer advice based on that reality. The reality is this place blows for that demographic and there is little political will to change it, depsite them ALL knowing what needs to be done. Spineless jellyfish weasel politicians led on a leash by union and nimby old time special interests. Not this kid's responsibility to fix things and I won't encourage him to stay and try. To it's own demise, LI doesn't seem to want his kind. LI IS no more than just a bedroom community. That's the problem.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:04 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
//www.city-data.com/forum/28442955-post8.html

Quote:
If you are ok with a 45 min commute, I'd recommend Forest Hills in Queens. Great nightlife, lots of young people, and easy in/out subway service to midtown Manhattan for weekend outings. Garden City has its own little cute vibe and restaurants, but it is still a suburban community with lots of families and very few young people in the 21-35 age range. I used to work in GC and from south Queens, it was a nice 40 min ride since you're going against traffic.
Great post! Thank you for your pointS of view!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island