Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM

26 posts, read 55,853 times

Advertisements

I closed last Friday on a house in Levittown and I've never had to deal with oil. Any recommendations for the best oil company? There are a ton of choices and it's rather overwhelming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,081 times
Contact NYPIRG, which has a fuel oil buying group. You pay a membership fee, usually around $30 a year, and you get scheduled deliveries by a legitimate oil company at discounted prices, plus you get a free or discounted service contract on your burner, hot water heater, etc.

These groups are totally legitimate. We used one (not NYPIRG) for many years with the same oil company. When the group decided to switch suppliers (to a firm associated with the group's leadership), we decided to exit and continue with our old oil company, which matched the group's pricing. We use the same oil company today because it has been so reliable. It will still match NYPIRG's prices, but you have to find out those prices and then ask.

You can also Google NYSERDA to check weekly oil prices on Long Island and see how much you're saving with your supplier. There's another thread on here specifically on current oil prices people are paying. We have a one-year contract capped at $3.799 per gallon with a $149 service contract covering three zones, including burner and hot water heater. Some people on here say they have done better. It's your choice, but I would advise against going with a C.O.D supplier. You want to establish a regular relationship with your oil company so they will make a service call to your home at 3am when its 20 degrees outside. C.O.D. suppliers usually don't offer that level of service.

Good luck. It's not easy dealing with oil these days. Also check the Better Business Bureau ratings for companies you choose. Some of the bigger ones, which may offer the greatest introductory discounts, have been bombarded with complaints of all kinds. Some folks swear by them, but I would prefer to work with a company showing few or no complaints.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:12 PM

406 posts, read 873,965 times
It's almost spring, so if your boiler is in good shape and you are comfortable without a service contract,then go COD. If you are doing work in the house for a few weeks without really moving in, then go COD, too. There's no reason to lock into a delivery contract now with expensive fill-ups every 4-6 weeks when a couple of deliveries will likely get you through to late spring/summer and then one more will get you through the fall. This is especially true if you have a lot of oil in the tank already.

I've found bel-mar (http://www.belmaroilco.com/homepage.aspx) to have the best COD prices. When you order directly from their website, they are usually cheaper than the lowest prices on COD fuel tracker (http://www.codfuel.com/Main/Main.cfm).

Old 02-21-2013, 08:53 PM

69 posts, read 93,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msarran View Post
I closed last Friday on a house in Levittown and I've never had to deal with oil. Any recommendations for the best oil company? There are a ton of choices and it's rather overwhelming!
This is the worst time of year to get in a contract. Go COD for now. Discount Fuel is best...google it. Register with them, and you fill out a chart showing where your oil fill line is, and leave special instructions. When you order with credit card, you usually get oil the next day...same day sometimes if you order early enough. One suggestion is to order only what you think you need. If you request a fillup for a 275 gallon tank, they will charge you for 275 gallons. You will get credited for what you don't get, but it takes them up to a week to credit you. I usually order 150 to 200 gallons at a clip. Been using them for 3 years now, no issue.

When you order online, put in code "FB10" and get 10 bucks off your delivery.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:10 AM

31 posts, read 56,815 times
Go COD. There's a great website you can find if you do a search for COD FUEL and you can find the cheapest price that would deliver to your area. We usually found that North Pole was cheapest and we had no complaints.

As for service I HIGHLY recommend R&N Heating out of Massapequa. I don't see a need to pay a dollar more per gallon for a service contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island