Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 11:49 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Did you know flight attendants have to memorize (and are tested on) ALL the airport abbreviations in the ENTIRE WORLD .

I didnt know that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 11:50 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Work rules are not FRA rules. The FRA could care less about union agreements, their regulations are teh same across the land. This I know, my brother is an FRA auditor in union free Virginia. An FRA rep can visit any railroad station, yard, shop, (or train) unannounced (with ID of course) and inspect. Think of a town inspector that you cannot deny access to.
And knowing the PC (physical characteriscts) of the RR is a FRA requirement for engineers and conductors.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Work rules are not FRA rules. The FRA could care less about union agreements, their regulations are teh same across the land. This I know, my brother is an FRA auditor in union free Virginia. An FRA rep can visit any railroad station, yard, shop, (or train) unannounced (with ID of course) and inspect. Think of a town inspector that you cannot deny access to.
I know they're not.

That's why I said "On another point, the work rules ..."

Old 03-08-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
And knowing the PC (physical characteriscts) of the RR is a FRA requirement for engineers and conductors.
A big "SOOOOOO?"

You make it sound like:

1. It's harder than freakin learning how to do brain surgery, or
2. They have to study more material than a law student, and
3. It's such a big deal, as if other jobs out there in the world don't have any educational requirements.

Really, now. Let's get down to reality.

You mention "conductors." Aren't most of the ticket punchers not conductors, but a lower position? The title "trainman" comes to mind, but you're the expert.

Do the "trainmen" (or correct me if wrong name) also have to learn this onerous material that seems to rival brain surgery and needs people to study more sources than law students or can they punch holes in tickets without this?

Old 03-08-2013, 12:29 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times
Quote:
I know they're not.

That's why I said "On another point, the work rules ..."
Sorry I spend too much time reading (anything) words blend together after a while.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:59 PM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
A big "SOOOOOO?"

You make it sound like:

1. It's harder than freakin learning how to do brain surgery, or
2. They have to study more material than a law student, and
3. It's such a big deal, as if other jobs out there in the world don't have any educational requirements.

Really, now. Let's get down to reality.

You mention "conductors." Aren't most of the ticket punchers not conductors, but a lower position? The title "trainman" comes to mind, but you're the expert.

Do the "trainmen" (or correct me if wrong name) also have to learn this onerous material that seems to rival brain surgery and needs people to study more sources than law students or can they punch holes in tickets without this?

The term is assistant conductor and they have to know some of this and some of the other stuff the conductors know. you have to look at their hat to see their title. Conductors can be doing collectors jobs sometimes. There is only 1 conductor in charge of any train.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
The term is assistant conductor and they have to know some of this and some of the other stuff the conductors know. you have to look at their hat to see their title. Conductors can be doing collectors jobs sometimes. There is only 1 conductor in charge of any train.
Is collector another job title?

Old 03-08-2013, 04:00 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
No....door opener is the correct title

I dont care what theyHAVE to know...

They punch tickets, open doors, and hide in their box with the hats with pins on them.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
No....door opener is the correct title

I dont care what theyHAVE to know...

They punch tickets, open doors, and hide in their box with the hats with pins on them.
LOL!

This could be the LIRR union man's motto:

Quote:
Convicted Long Island Rail Road disability f r a u d s t e r Gary Satin bragged that working people were "suckers" because he had figured out a way to get money for doing nothing ...
Former LIRR electrician gets prison for disability fraud

Old 03-08-2013, 04:24 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
What would you suggest their base salary be? (not overtime, base pay) Overtime is subject to management.
What Assistant Conductors make.

I looked it up online and got roughly this:

Asst Conductors= $55k base, ~$60k median after OT + platinum benes
Conductors= $75k base , ~$125k median after OT + platinum benes

Some were even as high as $200k+
This is for LIRR 2010 so it's likely higher now. Let's face it, we all know it's a sweet gig.

The public could offer $55k base, 1.5x OT, 401k, 25% into healthcare, and there would be no shortage of qualified conductors.

SeeThroughNY :: Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island