Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 10:04 AM

487 posts, read 545,143 times

Advertisements

To agree with nuts2uiam, I also find it offensive to question my credibility. There is so much more to a district than to what real estate agents say and statistics say. Realistically, real estate agents are going to push areas/districts where they will be compensated more. Choose what is right for your family.......research the right fit for your child. There are different variables that affect the statistics. Mineola's statistics are very respectable. Do not pay too much emphasis on statistics until you visit the district to help you make the right choice. You cannot compare apples to pears. You will see why I stand by my statement that it is one of the best kept secrets in Nassau County. It's programs (i.e., Cultural Arts Program is superior to any one of those districts mentioned and it's advanced technology is being used as a model for other districts). Also, MINEOLA was proactive by executing a successful cost savings school consolidation program which saved the district a huge amount of money and did not jeopardize wonderful school programs. Foreign language is being taught at the elementary level.......just to name a few. The important key here is that you pick the right choice for your family socially, financially and academically. Being in one of those, as others put it "destination" districts, may not be the right fit for your family. I would want my child to be treated as an individual with strengths and weaknesses ..... This districts works very hard to make the children the best they can be and prepares them very well for college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 12:23 PM

147 posts, read 543,699 times
Here are some "Fun Facts" regarding Herricks School District. I live in the district and I can vouch that it is an excellent school district but here are some statistics so you just don't take my word for it.

(Taken from From the Desk of Herricks Superintendent Dr. Bierwirth)
Summary of Herricks College Acceptances
In 2008, 16 Herricks students were accepted to Ivy League, 11 students were accepted to Joint B.S.-M.D. medical school program, and 114 students were accepted to colleges listed as Most Competitive.
In 2007, 18 Herricks students were accepted to Ivy League, 17 students were accepted to the Joint B.S.-M.D. medical school program, and 121 students were accepted to colleges listed as Most Competitive.
(For the full chart follow the link above.)
Despite rapidly escalating numbers of applications to the country's most competitive colleges and universities, Herricks students have more than held their own.

---------------
Two Herricks Students Named 2013 Intel Semi-Finalists - New Hyde Park, NY Patch

Two Herricks High School students have been named semifinalists in the prestigious Intel Science Talent Search 2013.
Krishna, 17, of Williston Park, advanced on a project entitled “Hypoxia and Nitric Oxide Regulate Angiogenesis Inhibitors in Injury and Disease.”
Pleat, 17, of Rosyln, entered under the project “A Novel Approach to Locating Geothermal Systems in Relation to Geodetic Crustal Deformation and Strain Rate Tensors”
-------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G46xai2F3x8
Herricks High School Winners of World Quest New York 2010

-------------------
Herricks High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Herricks Musicians Achieve at 2013 All-County Music Festival - New Hyde Park, NY Patch

Herricks has a highly-acclaimed music department. The music department is home to ten different performing ensembles, including several advanced groups: Jazz Band, Wind Ensemble, Chamber Orchestra, and Chamber Choir.
Many students regularly attend the NYSSMA Festival and a large number of them are accepted into the NMEA All-County, All-State, and All-Eastern Music festivals.

2013 All County Music Festival - Over 8,600 students were recommended by their school music teacher from over 57school districts throughout Nassau County.
Of the 1,800 students accepted, Herricks boasts 145 participants in band, orchestra, chorus or jazz.

Last edited by manhasset hills1; 03-16-2013 at 12:39 PM..

Old 03-16-2013, 09:05 PM

Very impressive.......congratulations. No one said in any of these posts that Herricks was not a good school district. You are missing the point. Not everyone can afford the housing prices in your district and the heavy school taxes that go with it. Also, you are comparing apples to pears. Variables are different..i.e., demographics, size of the school district, etc. MINEOLA is a much smaller district. Children do not get lost in the crowd. The administrators know each and every child by his/her name. This is a very appealing. A "destination" district as some call it may not be the right fit for your child no matter how accomplished. Yes, your district's accomplishments are impressive. However, it does not mean that a child cannot get just as good an education in the MINEOLA District. We, too, are very proud of our recent past Intel semi-finalist. This was a great accomplishment for us and is an indication of the wonderful strides we have made over the last 10 years. Our graduates have received more entrances to Ivy league schools than ever before, i.e., Harvard and Darthmouth. We truly believe the best is yet to come. Let's check back in five years.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:22 AM

5,048 posts, read 3,954,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two boys View Post
Very impressive.......congratulations. No one said in any of these posts that Herricks was not a good school district. You are missing the point. Not everyone can afford the housing prices in your district and the heavy school taxes that go with it. Also, you are comparing apples to pears. Variables are different..i.e., demographics, size of the school district, etc. MINEOLA is a much smaller district. Children do not get lost in the crowd. The administrators know each and every child by his/her name. This is a very appealing. A "destination" district as some call it may not be the right fit for your child no matter how accomplished. Yes, your district's accomplishments are impressive. However, it does not mean that a child cannot get just as good an education in the MINEOLA District. We, too, are very proud of our recent past Intel semi-finalist. This was a great accomplishment for us and is an indication of the wonderful strides we have made over the last 10 years. Our graduates have received more entrances to Ivy league schools than ever before, i.e., Harvard and Darthmouth. We truly believe the best is yet to come. Let's check back in five years.
Just a pet peeve of mine. A smaller district may or may not have a different admin:student or teacher:student ratio as compared to a larger district.
On another point, of course Mineola has different demographics as compared to Herricks and of course there are some wonderful students in Mineola. I am not sure anyone is arguing these two points.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 03-17-2013 at 06:39 AM..

Old 03-17-2013, 07:52 AM

To Quick Commentator........good points. Just wanted to make the point that we are here and we have a lot to offer. Geographically, we are in the middle of the Garden City, Herricks and Wheatley school districts.......each district has it's own "personality". Not everyone can afford the higher prices/property taxes in those areas. The areas under the MINEOLA District (parts of MINEOLA, Roslyn Heights, Albertson, Williston Park and Garden City Park) are lovely and could be a good fit for a family both financially and socially with a very good school district. The Manhasset1 writer was the one who took it the wrong way. We never said Herricks was not a respected district.....it is just not for everyone. We are trying to help people who are looking for homes in the area to make the right decision for their family.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:02 AM

I want to provide an update to this thread Newsday recent report Long Island School Rankings 2013-14 where Herricks was placed in the highest performance tier - "Reward Schools" defined as schools that are specially designated for having made yearly progress in a range of accountability categories. 105 Long Island schools received this designation. Unfortunately, Mineola did not make the list as a Reward School despite it making "tremendous strides" over the last several years as has been stated....

Long Island school rankings, 2013-14

Old 08-29-2013, 10:46 AM

168 posts, read 289,659 times
Hi,

Thanks for the link, it is very interesting.

This link actually shows that anything in Orange/Blue is "good standing".

For the ultracompetitive people just look at the orange. The rest of us will look at the blue as well as areas with decent schools for our kids, where if you have a decent school-oriented family culture, the kids will have the chance to do it well. Because the family culture towards study is one the biggest factors here and that is the same in a particular family no matter where they live.

Regards,
Hipo

Old 08-29-2013, 11:13 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhasset hills1 View Post
I want to provide an update to this thread Newsday recent report Long Island School Rankings 2013-14 where Herricks was placed in the highest performance tier - "Reward Schools" defined as schools that are specially designated for having made yearly progress in a range of accountability categories. 105 Long Island schools received this designation. Unfortunately, Mineola did not make the list as a Reward School despite it making "tremendous strides" over the last several years as has been stated....

Long Island school rankings, 2013-14
One last time, MH1,

No one has disputed that Herricks is an excellent school, however, it appears that you feel the need to speak negatively about Mineola. I will never understand why, There are things that are less than stellar about neighboring schools but you don't see me or others bringing them up continuously. I just don't get it.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
[/b]

My point was that Herricks is not the school it was years ago, and that perception is changing. While I didn't go to the district schools, I grew up in the Mineola district and had a family member who was a teacher at Herricks in the 70's and 80's. Perhaps that is why I am even more biased, I know about the warts that used to be and having a friend who is teaching there now and several friends who have kids in the district currently, I know about the warts that are there now. It used to be a far and away superior school.

Mineola has caught up in recent years and in some areas it is even better. SOME not all. While I have no kids in the school, if you were to ask the old and new superintendents about me, they both know me very well as I am active at all the school.

Does Mineola have its' warts, absolutely, as do all schools. My point is, that Mineola is not the dead beat school that it gets the wrap for. Perceptions are hard to change and will change over time but certainly not overnight. All things considered, bang for you buck, house wise and the quality of the education, I would not think twice about Mineola at all.
I bring this up because Nuts2uiam you started it by saying that "Herricks was not the school it was years ago.... and also because you stated that Mineola has made tremendous strides...." When you were touting the Mineola school district, you didn't have to mention Herricks. It is comical that you would even compare Mineola to Herricks. Its like comparing a Coach bag with a Ferragamo bag. Or comparing a Honda with a BMW. There is no comparison! Nobody is saying that Coach bag or Honda is bad but they just don't compare. Unfortunately, you just don't get it for some reason. You are obstinate. Next time compare Mineola with another comparable school district just not Herricks.
I mention this latest OBJECTIVE stat because it serves two purposes. One is that Herricks is a great school district obviously and secondly because if Mineola has made so many changes why isn't it reflected as a Reward School that has made yearly progress???
I realize you have pride in your neighborhood but when are you going to admit that you were wrong comparing Herricks schools to Mineola schools?

Last edited by manhasset hills1; 08-29-2013 at 12:27 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 12:25 PM

192 posts, read 354,945 times
I don't know much about the schools. I used to work there. It can be kind of congested, but it is also convenient to both the north and south shore. The LIRR stop is one of the best stops on the Island -- I think 3 lines run through it. There are many trains an hour, and it is Zone 4, so your ticket will be as cheap as it possibly can be on LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island