Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,206,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
No, an unsigned ticket is not a proper summons. Its because the officer swears that he witnessed the infraction under penalty of perjury. If its unsigned its not legal
Read OBH's post that I answered.

That's not what the woman at the court told her when she called to inquire about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 11:49 AM

3,461 posts, read 5,655,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Read OBH's post that I answered.

That's not what the woman at the court told her when she called to inquire about it.
Are you going to trust the person who answered the phone or what is written in the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law?

Paraphrasing the VTL:

Defective tickets will be dismissed even if you are caught dead to rights. A ticket is defective when a required element under the law is missing, misdescribed, or illegible. When a ticket is disputed, the judge should review the ticket for these defects and dismiss them automatically, but it's always helpful to point them out. Some necessary elements are [1] License Plate Number; [2] Vehicle Description; [3] Accurate and Detailed Description of the Location (must say whether its in front of the address given or across the street from it); [4] Name of the Enforcement Officer; and [5] the Signature of the Officer

Old 02-25-2013, 11:51 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,206,745 times
Quote:
Are you going to trust the person who answered the phone or what is written in the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law?

Paraphrasing the VTL:

Defective tickets will be dismissed even if you are caught dead to rights. A ticket is defective when a required element under the law is missing, misdescribed, or illegible. When a ticket is disputed, the judge should review the ticket for these defects and dismiss them automatically, but it's always helpful to point them out. Some necessary elements are [1] License Plate Number; [2] Vehicle Description; [3] Accurate and Detailed Description of the Location (must say whether its in front of the address given or across the street from it); [4] Name of the Enforcement Officer; and [5] the Signature of the Officer
I'm not the person who got the ticket, but thanks, this is good information for the future if it ever happens to me.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:57 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,592,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Doesn't your son know?

Beyond this, you may have jumped to conclusions based on some urban legends about this being a 'defective ticket'.

And SCPD is his 'accuser' in this case.
What are you asking about? Your reply was to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave
Kindly tell me how they know whether a student is 1) in class or 2) using the LIRR?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
My son wouldn't know whether the person issuing the summons knew whether he was in class or using the LIRR. If you're referring to the agency which ticketed him, it was unclear as that was blank on the ticket, and as none of us have ever received a parking ticket in Suffolk, we had no idea.

As for the accuser -- while yes, SCPD is the accuser, the summons proper has a portion in which the Agent of the SCPD (a.k.a. the complainant) is required to enter the following: Complainant (Print rank/officer's name/shield no.), Squad/Unit, Com/Pltn, NCIC, Officer's ID/Employee No., and Police Agen.; I've retyped this verbatim from the summons. This was the portion left completely blank.

In general: while I believed it was a legitimate summons, I also wondered whether or not there was such a thing as a defective ticket.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:06 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,592,688 times
Quote:

Paraphrasing the VTL:

What section is this under?

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:32 PM

1,724 posts, read 4,018,897 times
The million $$ question is what information is missing from the original or hard copy?

Old 02-25-2013, 03:22 PM

186 posts, read 524,490 times
Default looking good

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Look at what the SCPD is making and get back to me.

The officer left the bottom of the summons blank and omitted the fine. Perhaps it wasn't on purpose; perhaps it was ineptitude. Which is better: vindictive or inept?

The summons is legible. The top part of the ticket -- location, date, offense, etc. -- is very clear despite the ticket having been wet. It's the bottom portion where all the PD info should have gone which is completely blank, as well as the line in which the fine amount should have appeared. The woman at the traffic court was all set to look up the ticket in the computer in her effort to help resolve this, but it was not yet in the system. When I asked about the 'defective ticket' people brought up on the page, she said that many people ask about it and that it isn't true.

How does being a regular mean I am good at chastising people? Please show me all the recent posts in which I've chastised people. Any newbie could tell I am a regular by my post count. This leads me to suspect that you have posted here under a different screen name and I might or might not have stepped on your toes.

Do you pay taxes in Suffolk? Ever checked out seethroughny? Suffolk County could hire Brownies for a lot less money and have them scour the lots and write out tickets. Level 1 Traffic Enforcement Agents (those who write tickets) in NYC start at $29,217 and after 2 years are earning $33,600 (NYC Gov website) SCPD Starting salary is $42,000.00 ($57,811 after one year). After five years base salary is $108,608.00.

So tell me -- as a taxpayer HOW am I thinking? After 5 years a 'Brownie' will be making about 1/3 the SCPD officer will be making. Who is overpaid to write tickets?

I'm happy to see you so worked up over this. Your never wrong. you got a ticket. if you can't figure it out wait until you get a second notice then pay it.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:50 PM

3,461 posts, read 5,655,963 times
Quote:
What section is this under?

Thanks!
Its a paraphrase from a website that deals with traffic tickets. Loading/reading thru the VTL is time consuming.

For the record, I have won defective tickets (albeit in NYC) for things like a wrong plate written down, wrong registration (PAS vs SUBN)

Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 PM

69 posts, read 92,927 times
Quote:
Its a paraphrase from a website that deals with traffic tickets. Loading/reading thru the VTL is time consuming.

For the record, I have won defective tickets (albeit in NYC) for things like a wrong plate written down, wrong registration (PAS vs SUBN)
I think most of what you posted pertains to NYC VTL. I skimmed the relevant parts of NYS VTL and there is no clear-cut "smoking gun" (that I could find) you could walk into court with to have it dismissed. Whereas NYC VTL specifically states criteria for defective tickets.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:01 AM

5,010 posts, read 3,909,772 times
Quote:
What are you asking about? Your reply was to:

My son wouldn't know whether the person issuing the summons knew whether he was in class or using the LIRR. If you're referring to the agency which ticketed him, it was unclear as that was blank on the ticket, and as none of us have ever received a parking ticket in Suffolk, we had no idea.

As for the accuser -- while yes, SCPD is the accuser, the summons proper has a portion in which the Agent of the SCPD (a.k.a. the complainant) is required to enter the following: Complainant (Print rank/officer's name/shield no.), Squad/Unit, Com/Pltn, NCIC, Officer's ID/Employee No., and Police Agen.; I've retyped this verbatim from the summons. This was the portion left completely blank.

In general: while I believed it was a legitimate summons, I also wondered whether or not there was such a thing as a defective ticket.
Doesn't your son know whether he was in class or using the LIRR? Apparently he was parkng in the wrong lot. Tell him not to park there anymore whether or not you can determne if the police knew he was parking in the wrong lot. In the same manner as you told him to get his car inspected whether or not he can read each part of the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island