Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:53 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
He definitely can't do the "harpooned racoon" high end things he did in the 70's..but he hasn't really done that in 20 years anyway.
the piercing falsetto style in the early days went away as this great band evolved again and again. Traces of it still remain as noted on "The stars look down" on Vapor trails that was hampered a bit by the production's competition in the loudness war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
I'm not a big fan of Jones Beach concerts. I'm getting too old to risk sitting in the rain.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:38 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
I hate the place, the only good thing about it is being outside in the summer. You get much better sightlines at the Nassau Mausoleum. The rear section is a mile from the stage.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:13 PM

245 posts, read 495,647 times
So I guess they fixed the theater after Sandy...

Old 02-26-2013, 03:33 PM

69 posts, read 93,327 times
Quote:
He definitely can't do the "harpooned racoon" high end things he did in the 70's..but he hasn't really done that in 20 years anyway.
They will always be a great band, and I thought Vapor Trails was pretty decent. But I prefer the old "Fly By Night" style over the New World Man crap. When he tries to sing the old stuff live, that's actually exaxctly what he sounds like: a harpooned raccoon.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Swanson View Post
They will always be a great band, and I thought Vapor Trails was pretty decent. But I prefer the old "Fly By Night" style over the New World Man crap. When he tries to sing the old stuff live, that's actually exaxctly what he sounds like: a harpooned raccoon.
They have more phases then that.

The first album sounded like Sabbath.

Then they went into their 70's progressive phase.

Then they went "new wave" with Permanent Waves through say Grace Under Pressure (I think their strongest period).

Then Geddy fell in low with his DX7 and I stopped listening so I don't know what happened...

Old 02-26-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
They have more phases then that.

The first album sounded like Sabbath.

Then they went into their 70's progressive phase.

Then they went "new wave" with Permanent Waves through say Grace Under Pressure (I think their strongest period).

Then Geddy fell in low with his DX7 and I stopped listening so I don't know what happened...
Funny you mention the new wave.. Moving Pictures was one of their best albums IMO. Not the old school Rush sound, but very good nonetheless. Because of the songs that didn't get a lot of airplay...not the ones that stick out.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:27 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Swanson View Post
Funny you mention the new wave.. Moving Pictures was one of their best albums IMO. Not the old school Rush sound, but very good nonetheless. Because of the songs that didn't get a lot of airplay...not the ones that stick out.
They have had many great songs not played on radio. I even thought Hold your fire and Test for Echo was great, 2 albums that did not seem to get a widely positive reception.

Hold your fire was a sophisticated sounding album, Only "Tai Shan" was a miss of a song and the only one Rush song that I did not like.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
They have had many great songs not played on radio. I even thought Hold your fire and Test for Echo was great, 2 albums that did not seem to get a widely positive reception.

Hold your fire was a sophisticated sounding album, Only "Tai Shan" was a miss of a song and the only one Rush song that I did not like.
Witch Hunt and Vital Signs are my two faves from Moving Pics.

All time fave is the Anthem...and of course 2112. The whole song, not just The Temples of Syrynx, which Boneyard incorrectly refers to as 2112..it's just one small part.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:10 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
And the meek shall inherit the earth.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island