Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 06:52 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times

Advertisements

I am specifically looking for a good site for searching for home/apartment/condo rentals on long island. Obviously I have looked through craigslist but there are alot of fakes there. I am specifically looking for rentals with no brokers. mlsli.com and realtor.com are mostly associated with brokers. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 08:30 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
apartments.com? no clue, never rented but I know it's a site for rentals- I just don't know whetehr or not they are attached to brokers.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:50 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
apartments.com? no clue, never rented but I know it's a site for rentals- I just don't know whetehr or not they are attached to brokers.
So you've never used it and you're not sure if it's what the OP is looking for? tremendous suggestion!

Old 03-01-2013, 09:02 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
So you've never used it and you're not sure if it's what the OP is looking for? tremendous suggestion!
Well maybe it IS what he is looking for and wouldn't have found it had I not suggested it.

If you have nothing nice to say, shut your pie hole.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:49 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Well maybe it IS what he is looking for and wouldn't have found it had I not suggested it.
good point! how silly of me to think one should have some knowledge about what they're suggesting! Might I also suggest he check out www.8aklfjaljfads.com. I'm not even sure if that's a real web site, but maybe it is! Maybe it has tons of great apartments!

Quote:
If you have nothing nice to say, shut your pie hole.
sorry, but you don't make the rules.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:57 AM

118 posts, read 258,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I am specifically looking for a good site for searching for home/apartment/condo rentals on long island. Obviously I have looked through craigslist but there are alot of fakes there. I am specifically looking for rentals with no brokers. mlsli.com and realtor.com are mostly associated with brokers. Any ideas?
Many large apartment companies have on site leasing agents, like Fairfield, Avalon, etc. buy a news day or local paper on a Friday o Saturday and look through the classifieds for ads which specifically say "on site office" or some such wording. I lived in 6 apartments between college and buying a house and never used a broker.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:42 PM

9 posts, read 11,961 times
I have used Apartments.com before and found it reliable. Beware of two things: 1. Some properties advertise their lowest rates although their only vacancies rent at much higher rates (or there are no vacancies at all). 2. A multitude of negative reviews is a warning, but so is a multitude of (almost eclusively) positive reviews. The properties causing least trouble will generate few comments.

Also, Apartments.com is far form comprehensive.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:26 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Madi View Post
I have used Apartments.com before and found it reliable. Beware of two things: 1. Some properties advertise their lowest rates although their only vacancies rent at much higher rates (or there are no vacancies at all). 2. A multitude of negative reviews is a warning, but so is a multitude of (almost eclusively) positive reviews. The properties causing least trouble will generate few comments.

Also, Apartments.com is far form comprehensive.
Thank you for the reply. Since this, I wound up purchasing another home.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:26 PM

446 posts, read 485,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
good point! how silly of me to think one should have some knowledge about what they're suggesting! Might I also suggest he check out www.8aklfjaljfads.com. I'm not even sure if that's a real web site, but maybe it is! Maybe it has tons of great apartments!

sorry, but you don't make the rules.
I checked the site it says, bad URL, so there u go Opening Poster, I saved you from one unnecessary click in your apartment hunting quest.

By the way, where exactly are you looking on LI and what's your budget? If your directly reach the apartment complex's renting office, they usually dont charge you a broker fee. If you looking in Suffolk County near Stony Brook, you have for example, Stonehenge Apartments, Lake Grove Apartments etc - No broker fee.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:33 PM

446 posts, read 485,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathSciGirl View Post
Many large apartment companies have on site leasing agents, like Fairfield, Avalon, etc. buy a news day or local paper on a Friday o Saturday and look through the classifieds for ads which specifically say "on site office" or some such wording. I lived in 6 apartments between college and buying a house and never used a broker.

MathSciGirl,

Can you break this down for me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island