Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 03:18 PM

15 posts, read 28,729 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I've been reading the City Forums for a long time now (months before Hurricane Sandy) as I had been researching leaving Long Island. I was widowed in my forties, and now, a few years later, I'm ready to move off Long Island for a fresh start, and I could use some advice from fellow Long Islanders. There aren't any adult children/grandkids as we couldn't have children,sadly, so I don't have those heavy ties.
So, I was wondering if I could ask for the Forum's help. If there are any middle aged solo Long Islanders who have taken early retirement and left the Island, I'd be interested in reading what areas anybody moved to and why (or if you are in the planning stages for your move, too). Did you have many regrests leaving Long Island, or did the positives of your new home state outweigh those regrets? I've been looking at Austin TX, Seattle WA and Portland OR as my first string choices. I'm going to visit Portland in the fall/winter rainy season to avoid being dazzled by the brief Oregon summers, but it's moving to the number one slot because of the expanding mass transit/street car system (but, oy, the rain!).

Florida is off the table as I know I just don't have another big storm cleanup/repair/gas line/blackout in me, (much less a Katrina/Andrew level event), so no South East US. I plan on living modestly, and doing volunteer work to be an active and engaged member of my new community. I'm pretty well travelled, I like the outdoors and city, so nothing too remote, but I'm open for any suggestions. I've got a couple of years to finalize everything, but I'm good to go as early as next winter, if I can swing it.

My tipping point was Hurricane Sandy, the response from LIPA and the Feds,my taxes marching past $10K on a small house, and I have oil heat (no natural gas lines). I've had to come to terms with accepting the fact I can't afford to do a solo retirement on Long Island (or the five boros), but since 516/631Landia is part of my DNA, I am a bit wistful. I know I can always move back, but that would be nuts (plus, I can catch a flight back to JFK and hit the Belt on a Friday afternoon to fix that).

Thanks for the help! I know this question has been asked a lot in the past (I've searched the forums), but since Winterstorm Nemo (ex:snow removal in Brookhaven), and Hurricane Sandy (words fail), the old responses don't reflect this new reality, in some ways. I appreciate your time and suggestions!! I hope I wasn't too wordy in my first post...I had performance anxiety!!

Have a great day! Thanks again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 04:43 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
I'm not single, but we're in our forties and are researching tax friendly states for a future move. We'll be taking a look at North Carolina in June and traveling all over the state checking out towns, housing prices, RE taxes, etc. For us it's the taxes that is the killer.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:56 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
You might want to consider Reykjavik. It has many of the city amenities your looking for plus I would think that the exchange rate should be very favorable to the US dollar. Electricity is also very cheap in Iceland and it is a short flight to NY at 5hrs and 30mins.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:02 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Is your husband S.D. "Snake" Plissken?

Old 03-02-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Is your husband S.D. "Snake" Plissken?
Hi!
Yes, the movie Escape from New York's lead character, Snake Plissken (Kurt Russell) was the inspiration for my screen name...I wanted a nic that was fun, but not too dorky as I'm no spring chicken!

Hope you had a laugh, too!

Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 PM

Thank you AndreaII and FHD for the replies. I hadn't thought about NC, Andrea...The western side of the state is gorgeous. I hope you find what you are looking for. I'll definitely look for your posts in the future if you have time to write about your trip this June. Best of luck!!

Forest Hills Dad...I did a quick Google on Iceland...holy seasonal affective disorder...it's at around the 64 degrees N latitude...and their Dept of Immigration equivalent (the Útlendingastofnun) is cracking down on taxes and stuff. I've had an overseas relo when I was younger and I started to miss the US after awhile, so I don't think the expat way is for me now. I really appreciate the idea of Iceland, and thank you (it's so beautiful!!).

Old 03-02-2013, 08:13 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
MP,

How is your financial situation post-retirement? All else equal it could be a challenge for the following reasons:

- You are retiring early.

- Your desired lifestyle, while not ostentatious on the surface, could become very cash consumptive. Everytime you go out, you will be paying for public transpo or gasoline. Every cup of coffee, dine-out, concert, tip, movie, electric/gas bill, etc. - all of these things will add up when you do them regularly over many years. A late uncle of mine lived a cheapskate lifestyle in a boring neighborhood near San Bernardino after he retired at 55 just to preserve his savings. "Fortunately" for him, he passed away in his early 70s and thereby never had to worry anymore about savings running out. I don't think this is the lifestyle you are planning to live.

If you are ruling out overseas, find a place in the US that has very low energy costs. That would be someplace that has access to cheap natural gas or appalachian coal. Energy is destined to become one of the biggest expense items in the coming decades and will bring havoc to household budgets. Two places that come off the top of my mind are Tennessee and South Carolina that have access to cheap energy and urban locations. Maybe KY. NC is becoming more expensive as more LIers and NJers move there. NC also does not have a lot of indigenous sources of energy. I wouldn't rule out overseas in any case to take advantage of more favorable FX rates.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:26 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,709 times
Stay put. Find a new guy to retire with, and enjoy the city when you retire.

BFE may be cheaper, but you can't get NYC restaurants, museums, etc. and nearby beaches.

If you do need to leave for low taxes, check out Delaware nearby.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:48 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Plissken View Post
Hi!
Yes, the movie Escape from New York's lead character, Snake Plissken (Kurt Russell) was the inspiration for my screen name...I wanted a nic that was fun, but not too dorky as I'm no spring chicken!

Hope you had a laugh, too!
Your not dead either, remember 50 is the new 30.....

Old 03-03-2013, 05:53 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
60 is the new 50 and 50 is the new 40 but lets not forget 9pm is the new midnight too. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: