Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 9,782 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I have been lurking around in these forums for almost a year now, trying to get your perspectives on home buying in LI. We were originally looking to buy in the North Shore SD (Glen Head/Sea Cliff), but now we have seen a home that the we love in Bayville (LV SD). We liked everything about the home, but the idea of commuting is giving me second thoughts. Husband works in Hudson street, Manhattan and I work in Long Island City. We do not commute to work every day, each of us go in only 2-3 days a week the other days we work from home. I understand that the commute will be around 1-1.5 hours each way (by car or LIRR), I will most likely drive and husband will take the LIRR. We currently live in Brooklyn and I am home in 1/2 hr to 45 min usually. I was wondering whether any of you might be Bayville residents or know of anyone who lives in Bayville who commutes, if so, is it something that you get used to? Also, what is the diversity like at the LV SD? I also understand that some of Bayville was flooded in Sandy, this home is further up away from the bay, so it did not suffer any water damage, but in saying so is there anything regarding flooding that we should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 02:58 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
If you Send me at address, I can get you the elevation of the property.

I lived in Oyster Bay and loved it. Bayville is off the beaten track and you don't feel like your on LI. The down side is that it takes you 20 minutes to get to a major road.......very annoying on a bad day.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:53 PM

24,111 posts, read 32,460,014 times
I grew up in Oyster bay and frequented Bayville quite a bit, especially in my youth.

The worst thing about Bayville is that it's rather remote - accessible by bridge from Oyster Bay and by road from Locust Valley. All of Bayville floods. At least to some degree and it would not be a good place for anyone who never wants to deal with this possibility. It may not be your house, but your access in and out of Bayville could be compromised.

In the early 90s these was a really bad hurricane that impacted Bayville very harshly. Friends of mine were evacuated.

On the good side, Locust Valley schools are some of the best. It's off the beaten path and a little less suburban and more small town then the rest of LI. However,all of the North Shore is a bit that way.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:27 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preeth_radhak View Post
Hi everyone, I have been lurking around in these forums for almost a year now, trying to get your perspectives on home buying in LI. We were originally looking to buy in the North Shore SD (Glen Head/Sea Cliff), but now we have seen a home that the we love in Bayville (LV SD). We liked everything about the home, but the idea of commuting is giving me second thoughts. Husband works in Hudson street, Manhattan and I work in Long Island City. We do not commute to work every day, each of us go in only 2-3 days a week the other days we work from home. I understand that the commute will be around 1-1.5 hours each way (by car or LIRR), I will most likely drive and husband will take the LIRR. We currently live in Brooklyn and I am home in 1/2 hr to 45 min usually. I was wondering whether any of you might be Bayville residents or know of anyone who lives in Bayville who commutes, if so, is it something that you get used to? Also, what is the diversity like at the LV SD? I also understand that some of Bayville was flooded in Sandy, this home is further up away from the bay, so it did not suffer any water damage, but in saying so is there anything regarding flooding that we should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!
my sister lived there for many years - can't tell you how many times the water came OUT of the drain of the standing shower stall (she was on the lower level of a split) after a heavy rain - although the house itself never flooded. The water table is very high . She was over by Centre Island beach . It ain't how far AWAY you are from the water , it's more important to be higher.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:49 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,954,202 times
Great summer town and great for kids. Unique (for LI) beachy flavor to parts of it. A nightmare when it floods. I am thinking the Sound Side but even the OB harbor side can have issues - I think Shore Road has been closed since Sandy so the only way in is thru Locust Valley.
Very long commute to NYC (Hudson Street) via train going door to door. I would guess about 2 hrs door to door but others may claim differently.
Very good school district (LV). Not sure what you mean by diversity.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
I commuted from Bayville for six months. That was years ago, but the line hasn't changed much-- I hated it! We were going to buy a house there, but to us, the commute wasn't acceptable; too much time spent getting to and from work (about 2 hrs each way).
Still have in-laws living there and it's always a hike with limited access. If you work locally, it could be a nice place to live!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
There is also a major public works project to upgrade the road, lighting,bridge and sea wall on that road......that should be a mess for a while but maybe help traffic when its done.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:50 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,382 times
Bayville has a history of flooding

Old 03-09-2013, 06:41 AM

2 posts, read 9,782 times
Thanks everyone for your replies. Your opinions mean a lot to us. We might rethink our decision, after we do the drive from work to the home a couple of times.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:50 PM

481 posts, read 1,060,276 times
I have relatives that live there and the house flooded in 1993, when the bay met the sound, and then again with Sandy. Every time there's a storm with high tide, we hold our breath. It's no way to live. Also, getting out of bayville to shop is a pain, especially now that shore road, i think that's the name of the road, got washed away, leaving only one way in and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island