Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 04:58 PM

192 posts, read 355,058 times

Advertisements

Don't you have a friend or family you can stay with for a bit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,144 times
Sounds like a quick fix for about $100.00 I would have it fixed and deduct that amount from my rent, guaranteed if the landlord decides to take you to Court the Judge will throw him out. Tenant/ landlord Laws are 100% for the tenant.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:42 PM

119 posts, read 207,059 times
They refused to give you receipts when you asked?? Is the apartment REALLY RALLY REALLY cheap? otherwise why would you agree to that arrangement?

Old 05-24-2013, 07:23 PM

68 posts, read 100,694 times
This kid sounds REALLY young so I guess this is a hard lessoned learned: Get receipts for EVERY THING. (You get receipts at every place you shop, get medical attention at and eat at, why not where you live--that's the MOST IMPORTANT)

That said, I have a LL that I was told by the Mrs, "Would think nothing of throwing me out on the street" if he had to. I said, "He'll go to jail". the Mrs said, "He doesn't care, when he wants something he wants it". !!!!!!! LOL

I almost got into it w/ him when I first moved in (3 yrs ago). and he said "My house my rules". Um, excuse me?

While I know Landlord/Tenant law is more for the tenant, I make sure I play by the rules to a "T". So if anything ever were to happen I'd have that as backup. I know what I'm responsible for and I know what he is responsible for. It's the only way to play the game fairly.

Good luck "hisnameisptj"

Keep us updated.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:26 PM

37 posts, read 53,201 times
Why are you breaking the law? Did you not know the apartment was illegal? Move out, find a legal apartment.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:20 AM

68 posts, read 100,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorperson View Post
Why are you breaking the law? Did you not know the apartment was illegal? Move out, find a legal apartment.
You going to pay his rent? Legal apartments are always more money because the owner is paying taxes on it. It's also more money because a tenant always pays some or all utilities. When one lives paycheck to paycheck there is no money for all that. What about the mentally challenged young man who is able enough to live on his own but not smart enough to be a dr. or lawyer? He works menial blue collar jobs, lives paycheck to paycheck and lives in someone's basement studio apartment with his ailing 80 year old mother? Thankfully the owners of the house are good people and look out for him. There are far more people in this type of position than you know or care to think about. Life is not all rainbows and kittens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island