Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:07 PM

6,929 posts, read 7,011,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Plus I don't know where in the world he gets the idea that the "benefits are worse" in Manhattan.
From peers in my field that work in Manhattan.

Quote:
I find the benefits offered in Manhattan to be superior in every way.
Maybe it depens on the industry.

Quote:
On LI, you see cheapo benefits that don't cover much if you actually get sick, schlock companies that make someone pay the total cost of bennies for their dependents OR outright refuse to cover dependents (I know someone right now who used to be covered under her husband's LI employer and the employer made a new policy and outright dropped all employee dependents) OR even advertise that there are no benefits with the position and the employee has to either pay full cost (I know someone working in a LI office doing this) or people should not apply for the job "unless they are covered under another benefit plan."

Those types of policies, which I personally have only heard of on LI, not Manhattan, are "better?"
My employer does not treat us that way? Our benefits might not be great, but they are better than what my peers in Manhattan get. They offer us health insurance, including dependents, they pay for a good portion of the health insurance. Our insurance might not be great, but it's better than what my peers in Manhattan get.

Also, I get 10 paid holidays per year, 15 vacation days per year (16 now, since I've been here more than 5 years), 5 personal days per year, but no sick time. My peers in Manhattan get about 6 paid holidays per year (7 if they are lucky), 10-15 vacation days per year (but usually with no vacation time their first year), no personal time, and no sick time. Plus, they have to work on most of the holidays anyway, and can rarely use all of their "use it or lose it" vacation time.

Quote:
As for his idea that Manhattan has longer hours. Please. The only firms in Manhattan that do longer hours (40 hour basic workweek) are accounting firms and they pay more because of it. Almost all other firms in Manhattan the basic workweek is 35 hours. In contrast on LI, you will find lots of employers wanting 37-1/2 to 40 hour minimum workweeks.
In my field, in Manhattan, the basic, absolute minimum work day, if you want any chance of keeping your job, is 7 AM to 5 PM. The official hours may be shorter, but you must work 7 to 5 if you want any chance of keeping your job. At my job on Long Island, the basic work day is 8 AM to 5 PM. True, I often have to work longer hours than that, but nowhere near as much as my peers in Manhattan do. Nobody in my field (whether Manhattan or Long Island) works 35 hours per week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 01:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,242,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post

My employer does not treat us that way? Our benefits might not be great, but they are better than what my peers in Manhattan get. They offer us health insurance, including dependents, they pay for a good portion of the health insurance. Our insurance might not be great, but it's better than what my peers in Manhattan get.

Also, I get 10 paid holidays per year, 15 vacation days per year (16 now, since I've been here more than 5 years), 5 personal days per year, but no sick time. My peers in Manhattan get about 6 paid holidays per year (7 if they are lucky), 10-15 vacation days per year (but usually with no vacation time their first year), no personal time, and no sick time. Plus, they have to work on most of the holidays anyway, and can rarely use all of their "use it or lose it" vacation time.

In my field, in Manhattan, the basic, absolute minimum work day, if you want any chance of keeping your job, is 7 AM to 5 PM. The official hours may be shorter, but you must work 7 to 5 if you want any chance of keeping your job. At my job on Long Island, the basic work day is 8 AM to 5 PM. True, I often have to work longer hours than that, but nowhere near as much as my peers in Manhattan do. Nobody in my field (whether Manhattan or Long Island) works 35 hours per week.
I see. I think the problem is with your industry, not Manhattan.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:22 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,986,429 times
Quote:

So many sweeping generalizations in this post. There are good and bad hours, benefits and pay in Manhattan and LI. It absolutely depends on the individual job, the company, the industry and the economic climate. Most people tack on the extra hours in Manhattan for the commute, not because they have to work 10-12 hour days to keep their job. That's a bit of a stretch of the imagination.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:25 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,834,803 times
Quote:
Your base salary might be higher in Manhattan, but from what I've seen from my peers that work in Manhattan, their benefits are worse (so their total compensation isn't as great as it seems), and their working hours are longer (so they effectively make less per hour). Even if you are someone who enjoys working long hours (I don't), there are still hidden costs of working longer hours. You may have to hire people to do chores you would have done yourself. You may have to pay someone to mow your lawn, which you may have been willing to do yourself. You don't have time to shop around and look for bargains. I'm sure there are others. And I'm not even talking about the time and money cost of the commute.
Yes, there is some truth in what you say about earnings per hour. But that's fairly obvious and most people who work in Manhattan already know that. I work in Manhattan. My comp is in the 6 digits but I work 60 to 70 hours/week (sometimes 80). Benefits - at least in most big companies - are very competitive because corporations can use their scale to buy them at lower prices and we get free dinners when working late. Now as far as costs are concerned, it's not always the case that I net less. I manage the costs by renting and having a small paved backyard and put savings under various investment accounts. There are people in my county's forum who pay $3K - $6K/yr for lawncare and landscapping but I don't get into that. I have only one car (a subcompact) and don't take annual personal trips abroad/out of state. Not having a mortgage and managing expenses allows me to get a higher net from my comp and, apart from the long working hours, obtain a tolerable QOL. On the other hand, if I wanted a job where I can get off after my shift then there's always the local bank where I can gross half. That's just how it works.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:32 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,776,753 times
[quote=mitsguy2001;28579949] ...But working in NYC also means longer hours, worse benefits, and a more cuthroat atmosphere. What do you mean by "better atmosphere" and "more professional offices and people"?[/quote]

I'd like to know too. Stop by my office some day, we all wear business suits even on non-court days. While the lunch time atmosphere is laid back, the ambiance work-wise is identical to the productivity of our Manhattan office (and actually more so because we are not constantly distracted by the hustle/bustle of Manhattan noises and delays like waiting for elevators to take us to Floor 34). We have weekly staff meetings and have donuts and coffee catered into our conference rooms just like the NYC office does. The upside to working in my building is that I get to look out my window and see my car parked a few feet away, instead of feeling its loneliness in some far away LIRR parking lot!

Old 03-08-2013, 05:52 PM

840 posts, read 2,441,221 times
for the record, i wasn't implying anything except the fact I have no idea how I get so much done. I just left a job where i worked from home 3x a week and was 3 blocks from penn and i left at 5 but my career was going nowhere. I had no choice but to try something different for the sake of what my life will be like in a few years. The easiest thing would have been to stay but no way it was going to last long.

I don't think it's about professionalism or dress; I think it's about perception. If you're a lawyer or finance guy on LI people unfairly assume you couldn't get a "big" job in nyc. I couldn't care less; if I could make good money here I'd leave nyc behind and never look back.

Another good place for Li to start would be offering the same ammenities a lot of other suburban office settings do, san jose for instance. corporate campuses have restaurant-quality food, gyms, basketball courts and other cool features. When you work on LI, chances are you're in an industrial park with a coffee cart outside and applebee's as the local attraction.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:44 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,011,624 times
I was born and raised on LI and worked as a clammer,carpenter.Left when your property taxes were more directed at life time jobs and benifits for the public sector union thieves. You guys are screwed so bad. My taxes on a 4 Br victorian in town are $600 a year.Never looked back.most of my family is still there working to pay property taxes to keep thier homes. The island is dying glad I saw it back in the 70's and split

Old 03-08-2013, 07:25 PM

Another advantage to working on Long Island is that (at least in my field), most companies have a casual dress code, but the firms in Manhattan require a suit every day. Casual clothes are more comfortable, cost less, and are more useful on the weekends.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:33 PM

840 posts, read 2,441,221 times
i wear jeans and a tee shirt in manhattan every day, lots of dockers and polos on long island

Old 03-09-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
i wear jeans and a tee shirt in manhattan every day, lots of dockers and polos on long island
In Manhattan, most of the firms in my field have formal dress codes. There are no firms in my field in Manhattan that allow jeans and tee shirts, or even dockers and polos. Dockers and polos are standard at the company that I work for on Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island