Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 06:41 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,737 times

Advertisements

A story in Newsday today says that post-Sandy tax grievances are spiking and that this could mean higher taxes for the folks not affected by flooding. This is as many of us predicted. I feel bad because I was a South Shore Nassau resident for many years and enjoyed living in those communities. I used to think you could get great value for your money -- modest housing prices, decent schools, good restaurants, good commute, good neighbors, etc. -- but now I would be concerned buying anything down there. In parts of the South Shore, you are already seeing taxes on $500K-$600K homes approaching or exceeding $20K a year. It's making those properties almost unaffordable and the additional tax grievances won't help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 08:05 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,744,811 times
meh. I think you're highly exaggerating.

For every 1 $500k home you find with $20k taxes, you can find 20 that are under $13k.

If you even read the article, many villages noted they received the usual # of filings, with none related to Sandy.
Aside from maybe Long Beach & Island Park, the pool of potential significant grievances that could alter the tax landscape is minuscule compared to the tax base. We're talking about a few bucks, if anything, to the 98% who weren't affected.

Also, I just came from another thread where you said there were NO decent south shore SDs w/ $10k taxes. Now you're waxing nostalgic about how nice it was living there

Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 AM

3,516 posts, read 5,698,912 times
All this is going to do unless the state acts, is push the tax burden to everyone else who didnt get their house wiped out or damaged. Same amount of money is needed, so everyone else is going to pay for it .

Old 03-08-2013, 08:14 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,074 times
I don't put much stock in what Newsday reports these days. Lots of hidden agendas and twisted facts to support their stance on certain causes. Their reporting on some articles is downright atrocious as well. So take what they say with a grain of salt. While some taxes for north and mid shore residents will increase, I dont think its entirely attributable to Sandy. Taxes usually go up regardless of its cause.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I don't put much stock in what Newsday reports these days. Lots of hidden agendas and twisted facts to support their stance on certain causes. Their reporting on some articles is downright atrocious as well. So take what they say with a grain of salt. While some taxes for north and mid shore residents will increase, I dont think its entirely attributable to Sandy. Taxes usually go up regardless of its cause.
Yup, Snewsday is very biased. That's what happens when almost all of the local media outlets are owned by the same guy (family, in the case of the Dolan's). Even the quality of the writing and depth of the articles have degraded over the years. I remember reading Newsday as a teen back in the 70's, when it had hard-hitting investigative reporting, much more thoughtful writing and excellent columnists.

On the topic of property taxes, LI is always bad news and getting worst each tax year. Without substantial cuts and true budgetary reform, the tax bills will continue to grow.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:53 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,996,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
All this is going to do unless the state acts, is push the tax burden to everyone else who didnt get their house wiped out or damaged. Same amount of money is needed, so everyone else is going to pay for it .
That is exactly how the assessment system has worked for years. Whoever wins a challenge pays less and the difference is picked up by those who didn't challenge or lost their challenge. That is why so many vote for a 2% school budget increase and their taxes go up 8%+. Broken system. Sandy just highlights it but the problem persists in areas with no damage at all, just regular recession home declines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island