Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:28 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Thanks for all the helpful advice.

I just had a couple more questions:
1. I understand that it is possible to sign up with less expensive private gas suppliers as an alternative to National Grid. Has anyone had experience with this?
2. I'm used to signing an annual oil service contract, which typically includes an annual inspection and cleaning as well as emergency repair service. Is it the same with gas? Who would provide the service, National Grid or a private company?
1)They are calles ESCOS .....not worth it unless you get a bunch of people to join.

2)Get a contract with National Grid.....unless you know a plumber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 03:30 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
1)They are calles ESCOS .....not worth it unless you get a bunch of people to join.

2)Get a contract with National Grid.....unless you know a plumber.
Thanks. I know someone in an ESCO and she apparently saves a lot of money. I also see that National Grid has a long list of established ESCOs on its web site and appears to promote them as a legitimate alternative. On the service side, I just want to be sure to keep the furnace running properly and have access to a high quality emergency service if something goes wrong at 3am on a zero-degree day. As much as I've hated to negotiate an annual oil contract, I have to say that my oil company has been there for me when I needed them.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:49 PM

166 posts, read 313,789 times
I have an annual contract with a local HVAC contractor, and so far (15 years) everything has been fine. I get 2 checkups a year - usually June and November. I've also had him do a few extra things, like a better thermostat, and add a humidifier. All in all quite pleased. Just google HVAC contractors and find a couple in your area and GIT 'ER DONE !!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
I grew up in one house with hot water radiators, a second with hot air ( oil heat), and have had forced hot air gas since in houses.

--First, you are going to pay a lot less for the gas heat than electric or oil
--Second, if the system was built right, you will not have any worse "cold spots" than any other system
--Third, you need to know how old the furnace is: You want a new high efficiency furnace with a humidifier. When we put ours in, we saves over 20% of our old bill.

You will get a home inspector; he has to be knowledgeable in the kind of system you have. A guy who only knows boilers and radiators is not going to be accurate on a newer gas furnace. Make sure whoever inspects checks the heat exchanger: cracks in it will mean a new furnace is needed.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I grew up in one house with hot water radiators, a second with hot air ( oil heat), and have had forced hot air gas since in houses.

--First, you are going to pay a lot less for the gas heat than electric or oil
--Second, if the system was built right, you will not have any worse "cold spots" than any other system
--Third, you need to know how old the furnace is: You want a new high efficiency furnace with a humidifier. When we put ours in, we saves over 20% of our old bill.

You will get a home inspector; he has to be knowledgeable in the kind of system you have. A guy who only knows boilers and radiators is not going to be accurate on a newer gas furnace. Make sure whoever inspects checks the heat exchanger: cracks in it will mean a new furnace is needed.
Great advice.

Inspecting the heat exchanger is rare unless its a clamshell heat exchanger (still tough). Inspecting a heat exchange requires the dismantling of the much of the furnance. Something most seller will not allow.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Warm air should be cheaper than hot water or steam
I fairly sure that hot air and hot water is the same in fuel cost.

Both are better than steam.....

Old 03-12-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo123 View Post
I have an annual contract with a local HVAC contractor, and so far (15 years) everything has been fine. I get 2 checkups a year - usually June and November. I've also had him do a few extra things, like a better thermostat, and add a humidifier. All in all quite pleased. Just google HVAC contractors and find a couple in your area and GIT 'ER DONE !!
Great. Thanks for the advice. I already know a good contractor who installed my CAC system and services it every year.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:00 AM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Another issue......forced hot air furnaces life expecancy is around 15-20 years where a boiler is 40 -60 years.
A 50 year old oil burner is hopelessly inefficient compared to the newer oil burners today so I would not overvalue their longer lifespan. Forced hot air gas funaces, gas water heaters, and central air conditioning are really the optimal combo nowadays for comfort, cleanliness, convenience, and cost.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
A 50 year old oil burner is hopelessly inefficient compared to the newer oil burners today so I would not overvalue their longer lifespan. Forced hot air gas funaces, gas water heaters, and central air conditioning are really the optimal combo nowadays for comfort, cleanliness, convenience, and cost.
Agreed, although I do remember once having the original oil burner in a 1940 house and hearing the constant amazement of the service guys that it was so efficient for its age. It allowed us to not buy a new boiler while we lived there. (There was no asbestos, if anyone should raise that subject.) Of course, stepping into that basement was like entering the engine room of the Titanic!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
You can always invest in a new burner head for a old oil boiler to vastly improve its inefficiency and get close to today's oil boilers. A 50 year gas boiler will still be within 10% of a new standard gas boiler.

The huge benefit of a gas fired forced hot water system over a gas fired furnace is its ability to intall a indirect fired stainless steel storage tank. That system will crush a free standing gas hot water heater in terms of efficiency.

The real benefit of a furnace system is that you can easily add a central A/C system and its low upfront costs.

The best system right now on the market is a warm air / hydronic system. The best but pricey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island