Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 15,430 times

Advertisements

My husband and I along with our almost 2 year old have found an apt that is within our budget and still convenient to our current places of visit such as doctor etc. I have read so many mixed reviews and feelings on glen cove and I am afraid that perhaps its not as harmless as it looks? The area we are looking at in right off glen cove avenue on a street named kraft avenue. is thi area generally safe? Also, We were told that the preschools/ elementary schools were ok . it's the middle schools and high schools are not really so great. My cincern is safety and I have no clue of Glen Cove's "seedy" areas as some put it. Is this location close by to areas that are not so safe? please help. We need to give a response ASAP in regard to accepting the apt offer. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 12:11 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,297 times
Glen Cove seems to have a lot of petty crimes rather than major ones. If I were you, I'd pay a visit to the police department and talk to them about any crime issues and particularly unsafe areas. There are parts of Glen Cove where I wouldn't walk at night, particularly the stretch of Glen Cove Avenue that goes up the hill toward North Shore Farms. But that's just me. Also, because some areas look poor, that doesn't necessarily mean they are unsafe. Poor folks need a place to live, too. Looks can be deceiving. As I said, check out things with the cops.

As far as schools go, you will likely never hear anyone say," I moved to Glen Cove for the schools." Better-off residents probably send their kids to private or religious schools.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 33,986 times
I grew up in Glen Cove and recently bought a house there. I have a 17 month old daughter who I plan to send to the schools. Glen Cove often gets a bad rap, but, once you live there I think you will realize that there is a great sense of community if you would like to be involved. There are also great parks and activities.

I also think that people often generalize that better off residents send their kids to private or religious schools. This is really not the case. This too often scares families away from Glen Cove, but, once you live there, I really think you will see that its a great town to live in.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:23 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
I'd feel more comfortable.......say....farther in closer to Porter Place.........

Old 03-12-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilesh View Post
I grew up in Glen Cove and recently bought a house there. I have a 17 month old daughter who I plan to send to the schools. Glen Cove often gets a bad rap, but, once you live there I think you will realize that there is a great sense of community if you would like to be involved. There are also great parks and activities.

I also think that people often generalize that better off residents send their kids to private or religious schools. This is really not the case. This too often scares families away from Glen Cove, but, once you live there, I really think you will see that its a great town to live in.
I agree with you that Glen Cove has a great sense of community. People from different backgrounds and incomes seem to co-exist better there than in some other Long Island towns. However, the downtown is nowhere near as vibrant as, say, Port Washington or Huntington . . . and may never be. Plus, I would disagree with you on the schools. Even the "wealthy" areas of Glen Cove have housing prices that are lower than surrounding areas and that is primarily due to the quality of the schools. Jump the border into Lattingtown and its Locust Valley schools and you could end up paying a half million-plus more for the same or lesser house that you have in Glen Cove.

You're correct in that some individuals will thrive regardless of the school district, but on Long Island, the property values closely track the quality of the schools. The figures don't lie.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 33,986 times
I don't disagree that "wealthy" area's of Glen Cove have housing prices that are lower than surrounding areas or that property values closely track the quality of the schools. But, often diversity is linked to the quality of a school district and may turn some away. I personally think diversity is a wonderful thing and should not reflect on a town or school district.

My point was that not all "wealthy" people in Glen Cove send their kids to private or religous schools, that is more of a generalization that many people have. Many of those children, who would be considered "better off" send their children to Glen Cove Schools.

Additionally, as the previous poster said, some individuals will thrive regardless of the school district. I feel that education should start in your home and that parents should be very involved in their children's education and life. Students and parents who are involved will do fine in the Glen Cove School District.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:27 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,203 times
I lived in Glen Cove for two years and felt perfectly safe. There are "seedy" areas, but it's not like they're secretly seedy - the seediness is readily apparent if you just drive down the block, look around, and use your brain. Drive around the area you're considering buying in around dinner time and later, and you should be able to get a good feel for the area.

The wealthiest folks in Glen Cove definitely do go the private school route, but plenty of middle- and somewhat-upper-income families use the public schools. My aunt raised two kids there, one of whom just graduated from an honors college and had a full-time job at a television network in NYC within weeks of graduation, and another who is currently enrolled in a mid-level private university. The schools are fine as long as you are an involved parent.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:55 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
the north west area that the main road goes up hill toward Seacliff and Glen Head (we called this back road hill )used to be a low income rental area that was not a safe area years back not sure if it still is.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
the north west area that the main road goes up hill toward Seacliff and Glen Head (we called this back road hill )used to be a low income rental area that was not a safe area years back not sure if it still is.
It still doesn't look like a great area, but I don't know the current crime statistics.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Well.........you know.......say what you will about Glen Cove..but it has a lower crime rate than Old Brookville!

I spent decades driving up and down "The Hill" as another poster pointed out. Yeah, the area is ugly, the residents poor... but never had a problem. Even road my bicycle down the hill...(had to walk it up).

Still would prefer whatever rental the op is looking at.. to be more east.. away from the main drag.

Since GC has their own police force, you're probably better off than having to count on ye old Nassau County police precinct....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island