Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 02:55 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times

Advertisements

If you got offered $50k more a year...would you do it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 06:32 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
If you got offered $50k more a year...would you do it???
No, I would not.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:57 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
When I think of NYC, I think of Wall Street, Investment Banking, World-Class Business, News Media & Television, lawyers and celebrities. There are some high-profile hospitals there as well. I DO NOT think of engineering. Engineering is primarily a support or service function in that metro. I do not think of NYC as an Engineering city. I can see why engineers may live as second class citizens in a city like NYC. There are plenty of other cities in the U.S. where experienced and motivated engineers can have really nice lives, houses, and raise families in safe areas with good schools. It is not that difficult.
eh, just about every major A/E firm in the country maintains a large office in NYC or the surrounding suburbs. And many mid-size and smaller outfits are headquartered here. While the cost of living in this region takes a larger chunk out of an engineer's salary here than other places (just as it does for many other occupations), it is still possible to do well in that field here.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
No, I would not.
Wow! If I stayed in my hometown, I'd be lucky if I made 60% of my current compensation and would be stuck with severely limited growth opportunities. I knew this reality, so I left as soon as I graduated school.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
eh, just about every major A/E firm in the country maintains a large office in NYC or the surrounding suburbs. And many mid-size and smaller outfits are headquartered here. While the cost of living in this region takes a larger chunk out of an engineer's salary here than other places (just as it does for many other occupations), it is still possible to do well in that field here.
I don't consider a life of doing nothing but commuting, working, and sleeping to be "doing well", no matter how much money I make.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I don't consider a life of doing nothing but commuting, working, and sleeping to be "doing well", no matter how much money I make.
My post was not a response to your constant doom and gloom. Pay attention. But since you brought it up, yes many people in that field manage to maintain a great quality of life. Maybe it's because they don't live in flyover country.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
My post was not a response to your constant doom and gloom. Pay attention. But since you brought it up, yes many people in that field manage to maintain a great quality of life. Maybe it's because they don't live in flyover country.
I wouldn't exactly call Long Island "flyover country".

Old 03-19-2013, 11:20 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times
Quote:
I couldn't agree more, and I share your thoughts on not wanting to commute between NYC and LI. I live in Houston and have at least 4 hours with my family every night when working normal hours. That plus no state or local income taxes.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't exactly call Long Island "flyover country".
I didn't say ALL of it was.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,375 times
If you live out in Suffolk county or eastern Nassau County and commute to the city to work then that is on you. Move closer to the city or find a job in LI.

I hear these sob stories from people choosing to live all the way out in Commack, Stony Brook, Smithtown, and even parts of Connecticut and complain about how horrible their commute is. To those people I say deal with it and learn to make the best of it. You chose to live out on the far end of LI so that you could have a bigger house and property but neglected to think about the ramifications it will have on your daily commute.

I used to commute to Hauppauge from Nassau county a few years ago. It was a lot shorter of a commute but I knew that if I really want to advance my career and make more money I had to start working in the city. So I accepted the fact that my commute was going to be a lot longer but in return I get paid a lot more and have better growth opportunities. Also I won't be driving as much and I could nap on the train if I was tired.

My point is that if you are already can't stand the commute of going to the city every day from your home you need to act up on it very soon or else 20 year will pass by and you'll be miserable you never did anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island