Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:25 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I am going to check with the archivist for the local historical society for some old records as well.
And, I sent an eMail to my contact at the Suffolk County Planning Department asking for an explanation of the Setauket-East Setauket and Setauket-South Setauket situation and what exactly happened circa 1980 ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 11:35 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
North Wantagh: I'm not 100% positive about this, but from what I can gather the separation of Wantagh/N. Wantagh happened in the 1950s shortly after the Levitt developments here were completed. Wantagh has two post offices, and the postmaster at the northern branch decided that mail to homes in the Levittown School District had to be addressed to "Levittown, NY 11793" (which is the Wantagh zip code). Apparently this didn't sit too well with the residents and resulted in the community changing it's name to "Briar Park" for a short period of time, before everyone came to their senses and just switched back to the Wantagh mailing address....no clue when it actually became an official hamlet, though. Walter - do you happen to know anything about the very short history of the Hamlet of Briar Park? It's all but completely forgotten nowadays.

Before the suburban development it was just "Wantagh" - which was the name of the Algonquin sachem who led the Delaware and Mohegan tribes. It was changed to Wantagh in 1893 by local residents, from Ridgewood (refer to the LI Pictures thread for the history on that). Before the railroad came through here (1867) there wasn't really much of anything in present day Wantagh and parts of it were considered Jerusalem (North Wantagh/Levittown), New Bridge (Bellmore) or Jerusalem South (Seaford).

Old 10-28-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Walter - do you happen to know anything about the very short history of the Hamlet of Briar Park? It's all but completely forgotten nowadays.
No, sorry nothing on "Briar Park".

Old 10-29-2007, 11:14 AM

OhBeeHave, I received a reply from my contact at the Suffolk County Planning Department concerning what occurred when Seatuaket-South Setauket became Setauket-East Setauket.

Here's the question that I eMailed to this source:

"Help!

According to "Historical Population of Long Island Communities, 1790-1980", Setauket-East Setauket were combined as early as 1980, and in 1980 absorbed that part of Setauket-South Setauket that was not incorporated as part of the Village of ???

I can't figure out exactly what village might have incorporated part of South Setauket.

This is confusing, even to me!"

Here's the eMail reply I received from this source:

"The village being referred to is Port Jefferson which was incorporated in 1963. This took a small part of East Setauket or Setauket-East Setauket which includes South Setauket. There is still a small area that is in not in the Port Jefferson School District that is in the Village of Port Jefferson."

Old 10-30-2007, 10:03 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
That's the story that I heard also.

What's this a picture of?

Old 10-30-2007, 10:10 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Garden City -

10,000 acre planned development (some say the 1st) by A.T. Stewart. He was a wealthy businessman, making $1,000,000/yr in 1869!

He named the place Garden City after the nickname for Chicago.

Kinda interesting...
Garden City -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/community/guide/lihistory/ny-historytown-hist001m,0,6589765.story - broken link)

Old 10-30-2007, 10:22 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Garden City -

10,000 acre planned development (some say the 1st) by A.T. Stewart. He was a wealthy businessman, making $1,000,000/yr in 1869!

Kinda interesting...
Garden City -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/community/guide/lihistory/ny-historytown-hist001m,0,6589765.story - broken link)
Garden City was definitely one of the first real suburbs, although I think Chicago actually had the first...maybe that's another reason why he chose the name?

The picture above is a walkway over Argyle Pond in Babylon, just north of Montauk Highway.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Garden City - ... A.T. Stewart ... named the place Garden City after the nickname for Chicago.
For those who may not be familiar with Garden City:

Garden City is a village (incorporated in 1919) in the north-center section of the Town of Hempstead, in the center of Nassau County, along the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Garden City in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of New Hyde Park, the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park, the Village of Mineola and the Hamlet of Carle Place, all in the Town of North Hempstead (the North Hempstead/Hempstead town line); on the east by the Hamlet of East Garden City; on the south by the Village of Hempstead, the Hamlet of West Hempstead, the Hamlet of Garden City South and the Hamlet of Franklin Square; and, on the west by the Village of Stewart Manor and the Village of New Hyde Park.

Garden City is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where many of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: places that have a "Garden City, NY 11530" mailing address that are not in the Village of Garden City are in the Hamlet of East Garden City, the Hamlet of Garden City South, the Hamlet of Franklin Square and the Village of Stewart Manor. At the same time, there are places in the Village of Garden City that have a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address. (The Nassau County county seat is in that part of the Village of Garden City that has a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address.)

Old 10-30-2007, 11:10 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
What's this a picture of?
Looks like Argyle Park in Babylon.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:35 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
Quote:
Garden City -

Kinda interesting...
Let's not forget Stewart Manor, next door to Garden City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island