Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 04:05 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Washington Elementary is on Whitson Rd which was Huntington Schools when I worked there 30 years ago.
Yes, it still is. But cross the road at either end of Whitson and it's a different school district both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 PM

570 posts, read 1,214,655 times
Both the Huntington and South Huntington school districts are very good. No they aren't "wealthy" like a few neighboring districts like to consider themselves, but they do offer just as many, if not more, AP classes for example, than the wealthy ones! They have many graduates going on to Ivy League and other competitive colleges/universities - they all get millions in scholarships - just like the wealthy ones. They were recently honored as having fantastic music programs for their students by a national group.

There are more nice areas in these districts to live than there are bad ones. There are some areas where you can buy a very nice house and still have low property taxes - imagine that! Huntington Village is doing very well, has great shopping and lots of cultural events all year long.

You certainly don't have to look north of 25A to be in a safe neighborhood or find a great house. I'd dare say that Cold Spring Harbor and Huntington Bay have their fair share of robberies - since they like to gloat about having so much money! And there are plenty of drugs in those areas since the kids can afford them. In fact, drugs and alcohol are big problems for the wealthy districts - they just like to hide their dirt under the rug.

Huntington Station covers a wide area and has its own share of nice safe housing. Keep looking!

Old 03-24-2013, 04:21 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Both the Huntington and South Huntington school districts are very good. No they aren't "wealthy" like a few neighboring districts like to consider themselves, but they do offer just as many, if not more, AP classes for example, than the wealthy ones! They have many graduates going on to Ivy League and other competitive colleges/universities - they all get millions in scholarships - just like the wealthy ones. They were recently honored as having fantastic music programs for their students by a national group.

There are more nice areas in these districts to live than there are bad ones. There are some areas where you can buy a very nice house and still have low property taxes - imagine that! Huntington Village is doing very well, has great shopping and lots of cultural events all year long.

You certainly don't have to look north of 25A to be in a safe neighborhood or find a great house. I'd dare say that Cold Spring Harbor and Huntington Bay have their fair share of robberies - since they like to gloat about having so much money! And there are plenty of drugs in those areas since the kids can afford them. In fact, drugs and alcohol are big problems for the wealthy districts - they just like to hide their dirt under the rug.

Huntington Station covers a wide area and has its own share of nice safe housing. Keep looking!
There is absolutely no doubt that there are some wonderful students and wonderful families and wonderful areas in both the South Huntington and Huntington School Districts. I have never heard anyone say or write that this is not the case. And I have never heard anyone say that all is terrific in Cold Spring Harbor.

At the same time, the OP's concern about purchasing a home at her described location in Huntington Station is perfectly understandable given the well-publicized crime problems in some portions of Huntington
Station. I believe all would agree on that.

Realtors used to describe the long term value of real estate purchases so it is perfectly reasonable to inquire as to the wisdom or purchasing a home in Huntington Station (or anywhere). I think we would also agree that the 10 - 15 year trajectory of QOL in Huntington Station (again, not every single room in every single home on every single block or every single neighborhood in Huntington Station) is cause for concern.

Of course there is a reflexive defense of Huntington Station by some who believe its blanket reputation is undeserved or who have homes of their own in Huntington Station or nearby or object to the diminished reputation of Huntington and South Huntington High Schools. Unfortunately for a home buyer, he/she will be fighting that reputation when it comes to selling his/her home.

[NOTE: This is not saying there are not some wonderful students, wonderful families, and wonderful neighborhoods in Huntington Station, Huntington, South Huntington and Huntington School Districts, etc. This is also NOT saying there was not a time when Huntington Station had a different QOL trajectory and reputation.]

Old 03-24-2013, 09:51 AM

325 posts, read 737,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Your zip code analysis, your insistence that those who critique Huntington Station cannot be familiar with Huntington Station, and your insults do not provide diversions from the reality that OP's best move might be to refrain from her contemplated Huntington Station home purchase. To wit:

"Yeah, who wants a nuanced opinion from a lifelong Huntington resident when you can have cliché ignorant blanket statement . "

"I'll clarify my post - as far as the Town of Huntington and the USPS are concerned, South Huntington and Huntington Station are the same place. It had less to do with opinion and more to do with facts. Most "South Huntington" addresses will have "Huntington Station, 11746" in them. So, where is the "location, location, location" AndreaII is claiming to be a "not good location?"
I'd still enjoy an answer to that question. Where in Huntington Station should the OP refrain from purchasing? The entire hamlet (5.4 sq. miles)? The entire ZIP code (23.2 sq. miles)? Does this include the 11750 ZIP code as well? Where is the "location, location, location?"

Is it safe for the OP to buy in Cold Spring Harbor near the border of HS? How many miles into CSH must the OP be before she is safe, or does the invisible hamlet border have a shield generator that keeps MS13 members out? Does the Greenlawn border also have this? Does West Hills? Dix Hills? Huntington? Is the ZIP code border more protective than the hamlet border?

I'm serious, please provide your thoughts.

Quote:
This was your advice:

"Talk to people who actually live in the neighborhood. I wish you luck!"
...and from that post, how do you extrapolate that I have suggested the the OP "walk around the neighborhood (say a 5 to 10 block radius) at night and poll the neighbors prior to buying in Huntington Station?"

Please answer this as well.

Quote:
Don't take Huntington Station's decline personally - nobody is blaming you for it.
I don't take it personally, I don't live there and am offering an objective POV. I don't take it anymore personally than I have for the last 40-50 years that the neighborhood around Huntington's train station can be a violent place:

1980s:
Quote:
3 Charged in Attacks: [NORTH SHORE Edition]
Park, Paula. Newsday, Combined editions [Long Island, N.Y] 07 Aug 1989: 26.
Abstract:
The 14-year-old was arrested in the station at about 9 p.m. Thursday for the July 23 shooting of Ramon Alfaro, 21, of Huntington Station, at the corner of Pulaski and Depot Roads. The 14-year-old was with a friend, and Alfaro was with his brother and a friend when the groups confronted each other last month, police said. Someone in Alfaro's group reportedly hit the 14-year-old's companion with a rock from a slingshot, and Alfaro was shot, police said.
1990s:
Detectives Live Under Gang's Death Threat - NYTimes.com
Quote:
Man Hurt in Shooting: [SUFFOLK HOME Edition]
Demoretcky, Tom. Newsday, Combined editions [Long Island, N.Y] 20 Apr 1993: 23.
Abstract: [Henry Graham] was shot about 3 p.m. on Church Street in Huntington Station, police said. At least five shell casings were recovered, but police said they don't know how many assailants were involved, how many shots were fired, or a motive for the shooting.
Just two quick examples. Do a database search for "Shootings Huntington Station" between 1960-2000 for many more.

[/quote] Below are, in order, an FBI report on some MS-13 murderers from Huntington Station (2012), the local Huntington Patch Article on 4 shootings in Huntington Station (2012) , and Newsday's report on the recent decline in shootings - but rise in crime - in Huntington Station. Google "MS-13 Huntington Station" and "Shootings Huntington Station" for many more.

FBI — Eleven MS-13 Members Charged with Murders, Attempted Murders, Assaults, and Armed Robberies in Superseding Indictments [/quote]

Very impressive research skills. The indictments were for an array of crimes that stretched from NYC to Suffolk. They included crimes Brentwood, Central Islip, Bay Shore, and Huntington Station (2 incidences). I see absolutely nothing in this report that identifies any of these men as being "from Huntington Station." Although it wouldn't surprise me if it were true, you should read articles before you post them and check and cite your facts if you want to appear credible.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:07 AM

325 posts, read 737,024 times
Quote:

Of course there is a reflexive defense of Huntington Station by some who believe its blanket reputation is undeserved or who have homes of their own in Huntington Station or nearby or object to the diminished reputation of Huntington and South Huntington High Schools. Unfortunately for a home buyer, he/she will be fighting that reputation when it comes to selling his/her home.
Another poster suggested the OP look is South Huntington, an area where all the addresses bear a Huntington Station, NY address. Is this, in you opinion, a wise idea for resale? They probably won't care about the word "Station" being attached, right? Most folk understand the very very confusing hamlet and ZIP code borders of LI. What about Dix Hills, which also shares a ZIP code?

As for the "diminished reputation" of Huntington Schools, I'll refer you back to this thread where you stridently posted gross inaccuracies about the district (and several other facts) that were exposed by myself and several other posters:

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...l#post25287571

Old 03-24-2013, 01:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Huntington had a day laborer hiring hall open for 10 years. It was shut it down 3 years ago, but in those 10 years probably attracted a number of men to Pius or Vengroff rentals in Huntington Station.

While reading this thread I recalled a tragic house fire years ago in an overcrowded rental house in Huntington Station -- 33 people inside, 3 dead and 16 injured. One of the dead was a mother and her little daughter.

Fire in a Crowded Home of Immigrants Kills 3 and Injures 16 on L.I. - New York Times
That is another thing I don't understand on LI. Using our tax money so people who are not legal in the country can make untaxed money and their employers can get around paying a lot of taxes too? If they were even crazy enough to try and build one where I live I swear the residents would tear it the 5(&$#@ down and lynch the idiot "officials" who started it! But nobody will try because they know better. This is the way more places in LI should be ... aggressive about QOL.

As for the tragedy -- to be expected with 33 people living in a house for a single family. Like I said on the SB thread, make your fire codes much more picky. Years ago my cousin and husband were living in a luxury 1 BR in Miami. She got pregnant. Soon the super was knocking on her door telling them that when the baby was born they had to move out or move to a 2 BR. Why? The fire codes would not allow 3 people to live in a 1 BR. Those are the kind of strict fire codes everybody on LI would wants good QOL should strive for.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:38 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
Another poster suggested the OP look is South Huntington, an area where all the addresses bear a Huntington Station, NY address. Is this, in you opinion, a wise idea for resale? They probably won't care about the word "Station" being attached, right? Most folk understand the very very confusing hamlet and ZIP code borders of LI. What about Dix Hills, which also shares a ZIP code?

As for the "diminished reputation" of Huntington Schools, I'll refer you back to this thread where you stridently posted gross inaccuracies about the district (and several other facts) that were exposed by myself and several other posters:

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...l#post25287571
You might want to conduct your own research to answer your Huntington real estate questions and to clear up your confusion on zip codes etc. A local realtor might help. Excellent Huntington Station crime stories. It is a shame that Huntington High School is no longer thought of as one of the top schools in Suffolk but that is neither here nor there and is obviously the product of multiple factors. Again, this is not to say that there are not some wonderful and achieving students etc. It is quite possible we disagree on both the reputation of Huntington Station. One can disagree without flinging insults. Nobody is blaming you for the problems in Huntington Station or the decline in Huntington High School's reputation.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM

10 posts, read 15,130 times
Quote:
You might want to conduct your own research to answer your Huntington real estate questions and to clear up your confusion on zip codes etc. A local realtor might help. Excellent Huntington Station crime stories. It is a shame that Huntington High School is no longer thought of as one of the top schools in Suffolk but that is neither here nor there and is obviously the product of multiple factors. Again, this is not to say that there are not some wonderful and achieving students etc. It is quite possible we disagree on both the reputation of Huntington Station. One can disagree without flinging insults. Nobody is blaming you for the problems in Huntington Station or the decline in Huntington High School's reputation.
H-tonain is right. South Huntington is part of Huntington Station. There are some very nice areas in South Huntington, but it is still labeled Huntington Station much to the chagrin of some who live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island