Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 02:19 PM

251 posts, read 586,809 times

Advertisements

Just curious if some home owners ( specificly ..... Brookhaven town ) could chime in with the results of their tax grievences. We are looking at some homes ( modest 1800-2000 sqft ranch or colonial styles on about .65 -.75 acres ) that are around $10-11K in taxes.....and we are trying to figure out what a realistc grievance reduction could be.

Anybody can chime in...........but would like to see some brookhaven town residesnts chime in if possible.

thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 06:36 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,982,682 times
you apparently don't understand how a "grievance" works because, doesn't the tax amount depend on how much you pay for this house???

So, how can you grieve taxes on a house in which has no recent appraisal or sale price???

Just curious.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 PM

251 posts, read 586,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
you apparently don't understand how a "grievance" works because, doesn't the tax amount depend on how much you pay for this house???

So, how can you grieve taxes on a house in which has no recent appraisal or sale price???

Just curious.

I am simply looking to get an idea of what people in brookhaven town have been able to save after grieving their taxes.

Since you are admiting that you dont know how the process works, why are you chiming in...... Let alone questioning me?

Old 03-25-2013, 09:18 AM

863 posts, read 2,103,042 times
It's partially based on what you paid for the house if you're able to purchase before the grievance date however they look at comps in the area when making that decision and sometimes the grievance is not what you expect at all.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:50 PM

903 posts, read 3,570,633 times
When we were looking I would call mark Lewis tax greviance and they would tell me how much the houseful wad being assesses for. We paid 100k less for this house than what is being taxed for. We are waiting for our court date now. In contrast the people that bought our old house paid 150k more then what we were being taxed on-we had eon a greviance-they will see a jump

Old 03-25-2013, 08:52 PM

903 posts, read 3,570,633 times
Sorry for the typos-responding from a kindle

Old 05-20-2014, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,469 times
Last year I purchased a shortsale house zipcode 11727 with 3200 sf that had been held in bankruptcy and boarded up for 5 years that was in need of many repairs. Since the process was going to be a long one I submitted the paperwork with a copy of my contract to purchase @ $165,000 and grieved my taxes. Most people do not realize that you can do this even the clerks who had to check to make sure it was legal. The house was on the books at $409,000 and the bank was paying the taxes @ $3700 valuation so for 2009 they paid over $14K and 2011 over $12K. Needless to say even with the contract with the agreed sales price of $165,000 for a house that was totally stripped of all copper, boiler, mold, boarded with several holes in the roof the town would only reduce the value to $349,000 or $3300 valuation. When we started the closing process late 2013 the house appraised for $270,000 with repairs so for 2014 -2015 I have filed the grievance this year with the appraisal so I am hoping to finally see the reduction I am looking for. Moral of the story, even if the house is undervalued when you purchase it the town can still use a comparable fair market value to assess the value, the town will reduce the value to the lot value if a structure is total destroyed by fire or disaster and demoed off the land. When the new structure is built they re evaluate the value and start over again. So to both points they are fair but you have the burden of proof until you get the letter from the town on their decision.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:04 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,955,251 times
If you want lower taxes, buy a house on a smaller lot.

10-11K is pretty good for the property size you've been looking at.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:12 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,982,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
Just curious if some home owners ( specificly ..... Brookhaven town ) could chime in with the results of their tax grievences. We are looking at some homes ( modest 1800-2000 sqft ranch or colonial styles on about .65 -.75 acres ) that are around $10-11K in taxes.....and we are trying to figure out what a realistc grievance reduction could be.

Anybody can chime in...........but would like to see some brookhaven town residesnts chime in if possible.

thanks !

Don't hope that you can grieve your taxes after you move in. That's like counting on a pay raise before you get it. It's not guaranteed, and you will be screwed when it doesn't pan out.

Take a second look at your affordability, and come to terms with what you can realistically manage.

EDIT: aaaand I just realized I already replied to this thread, over a year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island