Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 PM

571 posts, read 1,318,613 times

Advertisements

From 1983 to 1993 I was a costumed volunteer at the Old Bethpage Village Restoration. ( I moved to N.H. in 1994)
Back then the facility had money problems getting a house or two fixed up so they could be open to the public. Most of the activities were funded by the Friends for L.I. Heritage because as a Country facility they had to put out for bids on everything, including hot cocoa mix for winter evening openings.
I understand that things have even gotten worse and some projects have been abandoned. Has anyone been a visitor there in the last year or two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 04:03 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
we love going there and photographing it. we really noticed no visible change

Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Was there last summer. I loved it. Def. a special place to visit and kick back from the rat race.

Just wished they served beer in the saloon, but the root beer worked too. lol.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:50 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
On my last trip up we visited a very large facility that showed old Long Island. It was really cool seeing the old roads, power lines, cesspools, strip malls and old way of thinking by the past inhabitants.
I think they called of Suffolk County.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:09 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,736,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
On my last trip up we visited a very large facility that showed old Long Island. It was really cool seeing the old roads, power lines, cesspools, strip malls and old way of thinking by the past inhabitants.
I think they called of Suffolk County.
Yeah, only to be outdone in all of these categories by Nassau County.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:19 PM

571 posts, read 1,318,613 times
Old Bethpage Village is indeed a very special place. A photographer's dream.
I think it's important to learn the history of your area and how it developed. OBVR is 200 acres of history.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:23 PM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Westchester has a similiar place . I think it is called philipsburg manor

Old 03-20-2013, 03:43 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
From 1983 to 1993 I was a costumed volunteer at the Old Bethpage Village Restoration. ( I moved to N.H. in 1994)
Back then the facility had money problems getting a house or two fixed up so they could be open to the public. Most of the activities were funded by the Friends for L.I. Heritage because as a Country facility they had to put out for bids on everything, including hot cocoa mix for winter evening openings.
I understand that things have even gotten worse and some projects have been abandoned. Has anyone been a visitor there in the last year or two?
More buildings are closed to the public, fewer repairs -- and some of those that have been done are not using period correct material.

One cool thing we've done is to work on unearthing the Long Island Motor Parkway bridge up in the back of the property.

Before:

After:

The Ford Model A Club of Long Island gets to drive over the 1910 Vanderbilt Motor Pkwy - YouTube

Old 03-21-2013, 02:18 PM

884 posts, read 1,406,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
More buildings are closed to the public, fewer repairs -- and some of those that have been done are not using period correct material.

One cool thing we've done is to work on unearthing the Long Island Motor Parkway bridge up in the back of the property.

Before:

After:

The Ford Model A Club of Long Island gets to drive over the 1910 Vanderbilt Motor Pkwy - YouTube
Is that by the Powell Farm?

Old 03-21-2013, 02:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useasdirected View Post
Is that by the Powell Farm?
No, it's off in the corner further past the Williams House.

Google Maps

Looking at the map, you'lkl see the industrial buildings at the bottom, and the sandpit to the far right. To the left of the sandpit you can see where the property line goes from stark to treed. Just to the left of that is a sandy spot which looks like the letter D fallen over on it's straight edge. The pointy end of the D is where the bridge is. It's a good walk from the Williams House, passing all the fields.

There's a little stretch of the original Long Island Motor Parkway which we unearthed back there. It was great being the first vehicles to traverse this lost road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island