Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 04:48 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,329 times

Advertisements

I have a couple of friends in the NCPD that told me about the homecoming game incident. Could have happened anywhere really. It is sad that you are so upset at the comparison between VS and Baldwin. Perhaps your cats can console you. That hotdog lady is also so upsetting to you that you always bring it up. I guess that is a huge problem to some who have no other real problems in their lives. I will just keep quiet about that gem of a paradise VS and wish you a good day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The OP asked specifically about Baldwin and Valley Stream. Your comments regarding "other better towns" are completely off topic. Who asked YOU anyway? Yes, perhaps OP should go searching for a home deep into south shore flood disaster territory which you so zealously defend to make you personally happy.

How do YOU know that shooting and stabbing at Baldwin High School's homecoming last year didn't involve any residents? Were you there? Please cite your sources or "keep your lonely pie hole shut." Just the fact that these incidents happened is bad enough anyway no matter who the perpetrators were.

I will challenge ANY assertion on here that Valley Stream and Baldwin are alike. They are not. Period. There is a huge difference in quality of life and the quality of the schools and a huge difference in how the residents, law enforcement patrols (both professional and volunteer) and local government handle quality of life miscreants. For instance, the woman who perfomed sex acts in broad daylight on Sunrise Highway in Baldwin while running a hot dog truck (all within walking distance of Freeport High School). She lasted there for YEARS and YEARS and is still there as of last year's news stories.

Let me google that for you

You know what would have happened to her in Valley Stream? The Village wouldn't have let her last A SINGLE DAY. The residents would have harassed her constantly and if she kept on with her dirtbag mantra of "I have my rights to run my business!" like she pulls in Baldwin she would have ended up with two black eyes, a dislocated jaw and missing teeth (which would actually have been handy for her in performing her business after her mouth healed). In contrast, Baldwin law enforcement and residents acted way too late (she got away with it for YEARS and YEARS before anyone spoke up and that was only because of outside media attention) and way too little by respecting the prostitute's "rights" instead of enforcing their own quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 07:17 AM

295 posts, read 345,565 times
I agree Galicia. When it comes to choosing a solid community on the south shore of Long Island, and You have the means, when you are on sunrise highway, most will skip over valley stream, lynbrook, check out rockville centre, drive past Baldwin and Freeport and examine Merrick. Isn't thatwhat they call "da Riviera"?

Old 04-02-2013, 10:22 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NassauGuy12 View Post
I agree Galicia. When it comes to choosing a solid community on the south shore of Long Island, and You have the means, when you are on sunrise highway, most will skip over valley stream, lynbrook, check out rockville centre, drive past Baldwin and Freeport and examine Merrick. Isn't thatwhat they call "da Riviera"?
I think you are a big part of the problem LI has. An outsider could not tell the difference between a slum like VS or a upscale community like RVC. Bland suburbia at it's finest. RVC atleast has some history and beautiful homes. If you live in a place that everyother house on the block is the same you aren't doing it right.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:28 AM

I agree again Galicia. Most buyers of a certain standard would directly skip over Valley Stream and look in Rockville Centre as a viable option.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
I think you are a big part of the problem LI has. An outsider could not tell the difference between a slum like VS or a upscale community like RVC. Bland suburbia at it's finest. RVC atleast has some history and beautiful homes. If you live in a place that everyother house on the block is the same you aren't doing it right.
You're the one who sounds like an outsider. He's just punking us. You've probably never been to Valley Stream for all the nonsense you are spewing. For instance, the Parkwold section of Valley Stream has many fine Tudors and other stately homes with beautiful gardens on blocks that look like they could be in Garden City or north Rockville Centre. Of course, you wouldn't know that.

Enjoy life in the flood plain between the feces pelletization plant spewing filthy raw sewage into the water and stinking up the neighborhood and the hot dog hooker's "stately" house in the vicinity of East Rockaway. Yes, that is the area true class lives in as long as you're "strong" enough (or dumb enough) to put up the catastrophic flooding and daily stench from the plant!

Old 04-02-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I agree again Galicia. Most buyers of a certain standard would directly skip over Valley Stream and look in Rockville Centre as a viable option.
Especially if they're members of the Bloods who are into shooting people and dealing crack. Those types wouldn't last a day in Valley Stream, yet they have endured for decades in RVC.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 AM

5 posts, read 6,407 times
Seems like there was another home invasion in baldwin today i herd helicopters

Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
riff-raff areas lol, this thread is bizarre.

Here's my 2 cents- If I had to choose between the two, I would go with VS; particularly the parts bordering Malverne and Southeast VS over most of Baldwin (except maybe Baldwin Harbor). BH is probably on par with or nicer than most of VS, and the RE values show it. Then of course you have the schools to consider which VS wins in over Baldwin and makes BH a poor value. I wouldn't recommend Baldwin at all, unless you really fall in love with the area...doubtful.
The actuality of Baldwin Harbor

Fully half of Baldwin Harbor consists of homes that are ordinary, middle class and average. It is not all "splendid" as people who are not familiar with it imagine. Only part of it is (was?) actually impressive. Besides the solidly middle class homes, there are also some lower-class type homes in the vicinity of Atlantic Avenue that started out decades ago as fishing shacks. They are on brackish water near the bridges and definitely do not have a nice view. These little sea shanties don't have more than 2 bedrooms and are good for people who don't have much money, but want to be on the water because they love boating and fishing.

The part of Baldwin Harbor that is more impressive and contains "executive" type homes starts around Bonnie Drive if I recall correctly. Some of these homes are on the open bay (like those on Bertha Drive). Twenty or thirty years ago, this area's homes equalled those similarly situated in south Merrick and south Bellmore when it came to prestige, desirability, and high prices. Back then the place was full of jewish professional families and italian business people. I had friends who lived there and it would not be uncommon for me to call on someone and have a uniformed housekeeper answer the door (and their mom didn't have a job). Or another friend had an uncle who always travelled by chauffeured stretch limo and we used to bring his driver coffee and ask him to tell us stories about rock stars and movie stars he had driven. None of those particular families live there now. I don't know who lives in primo Baldwin Harbor now. However, I do know that it has not kept pace with its neighbors and former peers like south Merrick and south Bellmore in terms of desirability and home prices. You can get the same fine house in primo Baldwin Harbor for a discount of half price compared to similarly situated homes in south Merrick and south Bellmore.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 04-02-2013 at 11:00 AM..

Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 AM

To the op, some posters on here a taking it too far and it is being exaggerated. Has there been some article somewhere illustrating some crime or possible Gang activity? Probably. But Long Island certainly is not a crime ridden region of the country.
However, potential buyers of a certain standard that have a propensity to be in activities such as sking or golf as opposed to rifeling (not opposed to it) would pass by Valley Stream as a potential first spot and make a direct b line to rvc.
Even the lirr does this. There is no direct train from Penn to valley stream (no stops) as there is for rvc.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
To the op, some posters on here a taking it too far and it is being exaggerated. Has there been some article somewhere illustrating some crime or possible Gang activity? Probably. But Long Island certainly is not a crime ridden region of the country.
However, potential buyers of a certain standard that have a propensity to be in activities such as sking or golf as opposed to rifeling (not opposed to it) would pass by Valley Stream as a potential first spot and make a direct b line to rvc.
Even the lirr does this. There is no direct train from Penn to valley stream (no stops) as there is for rvc.
Newsflash: The OP never asked about Rockville Centre so you are irrelevant. You are really punking us now, Ashton Kutcher, Jr. Of course I cannot shut up so you will continue.

PS: Miniature golf isn't good enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island