Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 03:50 PM

156 posts, read 303,593 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a house or apartment rental and am not having much luck. Id like to find something that is all included if possible. Im hoping for a 2bedroom with washer/dryer that is clean and has good amount of storage. my maximum is 1600
in the ronkonkoma,nesconset,smithtown area or south shore near patchogue,sayville,oakdale. please let me know if anyone has any suggestions
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 12:50 PM

37 posts, read 54,794 times
When do you need to move by? From just a quick search I found a couple of places that seem to match what you are looking for. What would you classify as a good amount of storage? I ask because some people would call that a full garage or an extra room for storage.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:10 AM

764 posts, read 1,552,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp3530 View Post
I am looking for a house or apartment rental and am not having much luck. Id like to find something that is all included if possible. Im hoping for a 2bedroom with washer/dryer that is clean and has good amount of storage. my maximum is 1600
in the ronkonkoma,nesconset,smithtown area or south shore near patchogue,sayville,oakdale. please let me know if anyone has any suggestions
thanks!

View 4 photos. For rent: $1,50... Medford, NY 11763 - Zillow

that's in medford

Old 04-03-2013, 02:27 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,049 times
If you can afford the brokerage fee, I suggest that you find two agents, since you are looking in two different areas and most agents specialize in just one (especially for rentals). If you cannot or do not want to pay a fee then it's craigs list and the other apartment rental sites. If you have any ties to the communities (friends, church, schools, etc.) you might also try networking through those sources.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:31 PM

179 posts, read 493,880 times
HotPads - Map Search for Apartments and Homes for Rent, Real Estate, Foreclosures and Homes for Sale or Find a home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate helped when i was looking.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:01 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
If you can afford the brokerage fee, I suggest that you find two agents, since you are looking in two different areas and most agents specialize in just one (especially for rentals). If you cannot or do not want to pay a fee then it's craigs list and the other apartment rental sites. If you have any ties to the communities (friends, church, schools, etc.) you might also try networking through those sources.
Don't brokers require you to sign an exclusivity agreement? Wouldn't using 2 brokers subject you to paying 2 broker fees?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:02 PM

85 posts, read 125,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Don't brokers require you to sign an exclusivity agreement? Wouldn't using 2 brokers subject you to paying 2 broker fees?
I don't think rentals are exclusive to any broker. In the past I've had multiple brokers show me the same place...

Old 04-03-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Guy Guy View Post
I don't think rentals are exclusive to any broker. In the past I've had multiple brokers show me the same place...
Hmm I just used a broker for a rental down in GA, I am pretty sure that was one of the items in the agreement... I would have to double check. AFAIK it was to prevent a broker from showing a prospective renter a place, the renter going behind the broker directly to the owner and bypassing the broker fee.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:45 PM

85 posts, read 125,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Hmm I just used a broker for a rental down in GA, I am pretty sure that was one of the items in the agreement... I would have to double check. AFAIK it was to prevent a broker from showing a prospective renter a place, the renter going behind the broker directly to the owner and bypassing the broker fee.
I am pretty sure NY rules are different. Unless an apartment is exclusively listed with one agent...

This game used to go down back when I was younger and looking for a place..realtor would post ad with multiple "can't beat" apts. You call to inquire, they ask you to meet them at their office and try to get you to sign something...I would only sign an agreement at lease signing...never had an issue. So yea, maybe you're right, if you sign beforehand. But I will say that at least back then, I would see multiple realtors showing the same place. Many of them are just responding to ads on Craigslist themselves..if the owner doesn't balk, they bring someone in and charge them a fee where they otherwise could have rented straight from the owner. Illegal? Maybe. Unethical? Definitely. But seeing as the owner doesn't pay a dime, he just wants his place rented...what does he care? Most don't.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Guy Guy View Post
I am pretty sure NY rules are different. Unless an apartment is exclusively listed with one agent...

This game used to go down back when I was younger and looking for a place..realtor would post ad with multiple "can't beat" apts. You call to inquire, they ask you to meet them at their office and try to get you to sign something...I would only sign an agreement at lease signing...never had an issue. So yea, maybe you're right, if you sign beforehand. But I will say that at least back then, I would see multiple realtors showing the same place. Many of them are just responding to ads on Craigslist themselves..if the owner doesn't balk, they bring someone in and charge them a fee where they otherwise could have rented straight from the owner. Illegal? Maybe. Unethical? Definitely. But seeing as the owner doesn't pay a dime, he just wants his place rented...what does he care? Most don't.
Yeah I signed after we submitted our application, plus down in GA it is very uncommon to pass the broker fee to the renter (luckily for us).. plus it is only a few hundred dollars to the owner, rather than the 1+mo rent up here in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island