Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 02:22 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,934,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
And at the end of the day, the white trash does not breed copiously on LI like it does in the west, midwest and south. Sorry, son, but that's a fact!
Fact Matter of opinion maybe There's good and bad and trash everywhere

Old 04-18-2013, 02:57 PM

429 posts, read 848,708 times
I know I'm new here, but this whole discussion about whether Long Island is better than Vegas or not and why seems crazy.

The point is, what constitutes a good place to live is different for everyone. For me, I couldn't put a price on being close enough to my family and friends to spontaneously meet up for a BBQ, or play in a summer Softball League or attend someone's birthday party. These are the things about life I value most. No one in my family is helping me pay my bills, nor do I have any children, so I'm not relying on them for their help. I simply like living on Long Island and being close to the people I love.

I've spent my whole life building some of these relationships and let's not forget my job, which I've worked very hard for and happen to like a lot. It's also not a job that is transferable to another market outside of NYC (it's media-related), so being here is also important for my career.

I'm not saying it's CHEAP to stay here. And I'm not saying I couldn't get bigger and better elsewhere. But I'm of the belief that it does me no good to have this big, huge, beautiful home and no one (outside of my husband) to share it with. So what if I end up in a 3bed/1bath cape in Nassau, paying $12,000 a year in taxes? If I can afford it and I'm okay with it, why does it matter whether anyone else is okay with it?

This thread was asking about young people and whether they're leaving. I don't think you're going to find a uniform answer here, because there isn't a uniform opinion. Also, young people aren't all at the same level in their careers. Not every College Grad with a 4-year degree has a full-time job in their field. I'm not saying that's good, but some of them are FORCED to leave and would probably rather stay. Some people have the choice and CHOOSE to leave. There's no one-size-fits-all scenario here. I think all it comes down to is how firmly planted are someone's roots and how willing are they to plant their tree elsewhere? It's that simple.

And finally - I'm really sick of hearing people complain about the colors and ages of other people they see in their community. I'm sorry, but an 88-year old man who spent his whole life working, paying taxes and raising his family in this area deserves to die here too, if that's what he so chooses. I understand the notion that we should be able to have more young people here, but I don't think we should be kicking the old people out, either. And when it comes to race, I say the more, the merrier. It's DISGUSTING to me what our school districts look like and the fact that we're basically stuck in a state of segregation. It's utterly inexcusable and makes no sense this day and age.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,189,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Fact Matter of opinion maybe There's good and bad and trash everywhere
Think about it!

West, south, midwest = many whites = trash, drifters, stick up kids, thieves, burglars, 1% outlaw bikers, addicts, dealers, meth cookers, hookers, strippers, call girls, with tons of whites in jail and prison.

Long Island = TINY minority of white = the above.

It's a fact. Long Island breeds less white trash than the rest of the country.

Sorry! I cannot back down when I have found an area where Long Island stands head and shoulders above the rest of the USA.

PS: For anyone ready to counter with this, I am NOT saying that the complete west, southwest, and midwest population are ALL a bunch of losers! Totally not! However, they do tend to breed more white trash: a colossal amount of it when compared to Long Island. It is probably due to much cheaper COL and a lot of trailer homes available.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:12 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,934,372 times
Quote:
Think about it!

West, south, midwest = many whites = trash, drifters, stick up kids, thieves, burglars, 1% outlaw bikers, addicts, dealers, meth cookers, hookers, strippers, call girls, with tons of whites in jail and prison.

Sorry! I cannot back down when I have found an area where Long Island stands head and shoulders above the rest of the USA.

PS: For anyone ready to counter with this, I am NOT saying that the complete west, southwest, and midwest population are ALL a bunch of losers! Totally not! However, they do tend to breed more white trash: a colossal amount of it when compared to Long Island. It is probably due to much cheaper COL and a lot of trailer homes available.

Links to your facts ? Facts can be proven .....or are these statements your perceptions. Show me the facts!

Old 04-18-2013, 03:27 PM

55 posts, read 87,525 times
Quote:
Think about it!

So youre saying the class of white on LI is better than in the West. Funny, I think there are plenty of strippers, homeless, hookers, call girls and drug dealers who white, who live right on LI. At it's lowest level, your claim is so wrong on so many levels.

I get it, you're happy here. Good for you. I left and I'm happy. The thread was about young people leaving damn yeah they're leaving.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:28 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,972,368 times
Quote:
Think about it!

Your opinion is not a "fact" - by definition... It's fine if you want to stand on your anecdotal thingy here - nobody could argue if presented that way. But, that's where it ends - and even at that, you haven't lived elsewhere to back-up your opinion on the subject. It's ultimately based on a perception.

In context to this thread, more believe the demographic that made LI what it is today is leaving - specifically the next generation of these whites you speak of... in that regard there will be less white trash because there's less whites - period.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Your opinion is not a "fact" - by definition... It's fine if you want to stand on your anecdotal thingy here - nobody could argue if presented that way. But, that's where it ends - and even at that, you haven't lived elsewhere to back-up your opinion on the subject. It's ultimately based on a perception.

In context to this thread, more believe the demographic that made LI what it is today is leaving - specifically the next generation of these whites you speak of... in that regard there will be less white trash because there's less whites - period.
How do you know where I've lived?

Or where 1/2 my family is from since well before the Revolutionary War?

What I am saying is there never was much white trash on Long Island, period.

With costs being the way there are here, there is going to be even less of them, regardless of how many white people end up on LI.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Links to your facts ? Facts can be proven .....or are these statements your perceptions. Show me the facts!
That's going to be a research project that I cannot do in an instant. But I will do it. Just for you!

Old 04-18-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christafer View Post
So youre saying the class of white on LI is better than in the West. Funny, I think there are plenty of strippers, homeless, hookers, call girls and drug dealers who white, who live right on LI. At it's lowest level, your claim is so wrong on so many levels.

I get it, you're happy here. Good for you. I left and I'm happy. The thread was about young people leaving damn yeah they're leaving.
No. Actually, there aren't.

If you left and you're happy, why are you right back here on LI in cyberspace?

Old 04-18-2013, 04:17 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,107,886 times
Quote:
With costs being the way there are here, there is going to be even less of them, regardless of how many white people end up on LI.
So they're smarter than the non-white trash Islanders?
How do the poor non-white populace live on the Island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island