Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:02 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,761 times

Advertisements

I saw a house that we really liked but it turned out to be in East Massapequa not Massapequa as listed. Its a great house across from the water, but I'm wondering if the SD is going to be a major problem for resale later. On-line it says Amityville SD but on the flyer I was given it says SD#6 which was listed as Oyster Bay on my Hagestrom maps. What's the deal? I did read some of the previous posts about this but I'm still confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 06:36 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,089 times
It's Amityville SD. There are homes a few blocks west of the home you saw (still considered the HAMLET of EAST MASSAPEQUA) that are Massapequa schools. It is called Nassau Shores.

Last edited by iluvmycuties; 05-14-2008 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 05-14-2008, 06:38 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
I saw a house that we really liked but it turned out to be in East Massapequa not Massapequa as listed. Its a great house across from the water, but I'm wondering if the SD is going to be a major problem for resale later. On-line it says Amityville SD but on the flyer I was given it says SD#6 which was listed as Oyster Bay on my Hagestrom maps. What's the deal? I did read some of the previous posts about this but I'm still confused.
Have this clarified as to which school district. If the house is in East Massapequa, I am inclined to believe the Amityville SD is correct. If that is so, I personally would not buy the house because that school district has been tagged as substandard, as per the following list from Newsday. Some people have disagreed with me on the usefulness of Newsday's information below. So I will not pretend to have all the answers, just speak for myself.

If you really like the house and it is in the Amityville SD, perhaps the best thing for you to do is to personally research that school district, visit the schools and talk to teachers, administrators and parents, etc., and then make your decision based on what you find. If all you are thinking about is resale value, then yes, I think it will be a problem unless the Amityville SD pulls itself up by its bootstraps in the future and improves dramatically so that its reputation improves. It is a shame ANY school district should be substandard on LI considering the taxes we pay.

As per Newsday:

11 LI school districts tagged as substandard -- Schools, Long Island -- Newsday.com

Nassau County
Elmont
Freeport
Hempstead
Roosevelt

Suffolk County
Amityville*
Brentwood
Central Islip
Copiague
Little Flower**
Longwood
South Country

* Partly in Nassau County.

** Little Flower School District is run by a nonprofit charity and serves about 110 students with disabilities.

See post "11 LI school districts tagged as substandard," NEWSDAY

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 05-14-2008 at 07:06 PM..

Old 05-14-2008, 06:59 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with East Massapequa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
I saw a house that we really liked but it turned out to be in East Massapequa not Massapequa as listed. Its a great house across from the water, but I'm wondering if the SD is going to be a major problem for resale later. On-line it says Amityville SD but on the flyer I was given it says SD#6 which was listed as Oyster Bay on my Hagestrom maps. What's the deal? I did read some of the previous posts about this but I'm still confused. :confused:

Most of the Hamlet of East Massapequa is in the "Massapequa, NY 11758" ZIP Code postal zone, and hence the majority of the places in the Hamlet of East Massapequa have a "Massapequa, NY 11758" mailing address.

The Amityville Union Free School District is SD #6, and serves and area in BOTH the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County and the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County. The eastern-third of the Hamlet of East Massapequa is in the Amityville Union Free School District; also a small portion in the northwest part of the Hamlet of East Massapequa is in the Farmingdale Union Free School District, but most of the Hamlet of East Massapequa is in the Massapequa Union Free School District.

For those who may not be familiar with East Massapequa:

East Massapequa is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the southeast part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the southeast part of Nassau County, along the Oyster Bay/Babylon town line and the Nassau/Suffolk County line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of East Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of South Farmingdale; on the east by the Hamlet of North Amityville and the Village of Amityville in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County (the Oyster Bay/Babylon town line and the Nassau/Suffolk County line); on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Village of Massapequa Park.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/50/East-massapequa-ny-map.gif (broken link)

East Massapequa is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of East Massapequa have a "Massapequa, NY 11758", "Massapequa Park, 11762" and "Amityville, NY 11701" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 05-14-2008, 07:04 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
[quote=Walter Greenspan;3764928]Most of the Hamlet of East Massapequa is in the "Massapequa, NY 11758" ZIP Code postal zone, and hence the majority of the places in the Hamlet of East Massapequa have a "Massapequa, NY 11758" mailing address.

The Amityville Union Free School District is SD #6, and serves and area in BOTH the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County and the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County. The eastern-third of the Hamlet of East Massapequa is in the Amityville Union Free School District; also a small portion in the northwest part of the Hamlet of East Massapequa is in the Farmingdale Union Free School District, but most of the Hamlet of East Massapequa is in the Massapequa Union Free School District.

So then BOTH descriptions she got are correct as Amityville IS SD#6. TY Walter!

Old 05-14-2008, 09:03 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,761 times
Thanks for the information! We will definitely keep looking.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:22 PM

74 posts, read 370,953 times
When did Unqua Road, Margorie Post park, Nassau Shores, and Burns Park become East Massapequa? When I grew up on Block Boulevard in the 60's and 70's, it was always known as Massapequa Park.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:41 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger9552 View Post
When did Unqua Road, Margorie Post park, Nassau Shores, and Burns Park become East Massapequa? When I grew up on Block Boulevard in the 60's and 70's, it was always known as Massapequa Park.
It has been for a very long time. The areas you are talking about have a Massapequa Park zipcode and as a result are called and thought of as Massapequa Park (and Nasau shores thought of just as Massapequa), but are technically East Massapequa, and not Massapequa Park according to the census bureau. No Massapequa Park village taxes in those areas (though it cancels out or close to it generally as no village taxes is replaced by more TOB taxes)

Old 11-18-2008, 10:03 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger9552 View Post
roger9552, adding a bit to what Smash255 posted: about one out of every three places with a "Massapequa Park, NY 11762" mailing address (2,120 acres) are NOT in the Village of Massapequa Park (1,398 acres): these places that have a "Massapequa Park, NY 11762" mailing address that are not in the Village of Massapequa Park are in the Hamlet of Massapequa, the Hamlet of North Massapequa and the Hamlet of East Massapequa.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may be of some help to you in understanding how widespread is the geographic confusion caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:15 PM

74 posts, read 370,953 times
If I remember, Massapequa Park's boundaries on Merrick Road were between Cartwright boulevard and Park boulevard and Massapequa surrounded Massapequa Park. From what I am understanding is that Massapequa High school which is just east of Cartright is actually in East Massapequa. Further when I went to high school Burner was also a high school and if I lived east of Block Blvd I would have gone there. Berner is on the west side of Carman Mill Road. Everyone east of Carman Mill Road in East Massapequa will go to the Amityville school destrict. Berner is now a junior high school and was built on a swamp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island