U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 09:31 PM

5 posts, read 38,362 times

Advertisements

How is cell phone coverage on Long Island? We are interested in the best coverage in the area, but particularly interested in good coverage in Upton, Rocky Point, and Sound Beach areas.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 09:51 PM

245 posts, read 257,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther18 View Post
How is cell phone coverage on Long Island? We are interested in the best coverage in the area, but particularly interested in good coverage in Upton, Rocky Point, and Sound Beach areas.

Thanks
I had T-Mobile in East Northport. Coverage was horrible. I regularly stood in the middle of my street to make phonecalls.

I think there is something about this area and satellites. I have Sirius Radio, and I lose the signal around 11:00 am every day until about 6:00 in the evening. I see that a lot of houses around here have two satellite dishes pointed in two directions.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:38 PM

169 posts, read 607,508 times
For some reason, the Northport area seems to be where cellphone signals go to die...........

I have Verizon Wireless, which works fine EVERYWHERE else on Long Island EXCEPT for Northport and northern East Northport. But I hear this same complaint from everyone I know, so it doesn't seem to matter what carrier you have; the signal drops to nonexistent the closer you get to Northport village.

Maybe there's a buried UFO under there or something. (J/K!!)

Old 10-28-2007, 10:54 PM

16,966 posts, read 32,061,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther18 View Post

Thanks
If I'm driving from PJ to Rocky Point (or reverse) my Verizon service is sometimes spotty along North Country Rd, Lower Rocky Point Rd and Rocky Point Landing Rd. The big problem with cell phones on the north shore is lack of towers within sight distance of one another. Cell phone companies have been hiding them in church steeples and service has improved greatly in the past 5 years.

Both my Sirius and XM cut out here and there along 25A from Kings Park (sorry -- no experience further west of KP) out to Rocky Point. But that's OK with me -- I'd rather have tree canopy blocking out satellite service as opposed to satellite service with no trees.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:55 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,108,214 times
I was in Rocky Point/Sound Beach/Ridge this past week. The cell coverage was awful for T-mobile. We regularly had to walk around the houses we were looking at for a signal. In general it was very difficult to make a call. We are going to call T-mobile to see what can be done...not much I am afraid.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:12 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,092,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrantia View Post
For some reason, the Northport area seems to be where cellphone signals go to die...........

I have Verizon Wireless, which works fine EVERYWHERE else on Long Island EXCEPT for Northport and northern East Northport. But I hear this same complaint from everyone I know, so it doesn't seem to matter what carrier you have; the signal drops to nonexistent the closer you get to Northport village.

Maybe there's a buried UFO under there or something. (J/K!!)
It is because the village will not allow cell phone towers to be installed. Verizon had an agreement to put a transmitter in the bell tower of one of the churches, and it got voted down. No one would have even been able to see it. I find it quite deplorable, escpecially since the boaters in Northport Harbor need cell phone reception for safety purposes.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:42 PM

169 posts, read 607,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
It is because the village will not allow cell phone towers to be installed.
Thanks, Tom! I have always wondered what the problem was. I don't go to Northport that often but when I do have to, the cellphone dead zone is really annoying.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:57 PM

74 posts, read 234,627 times
My family lives in PJ..so close to the areas you are asking. Verizon is def the best out there...my whole fam has them and barely has issues. I have Cigular or NOW AT&T and one day its good 1 day its all dropped calls!

Old 03-18-2008, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 7,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrantia View Post
Thanks, Tom! I have always wondered what the problem was. I don't go to Northport that often but when I do have to, the cellphone dead zone is really annoying.
I live near 25A in Northport. I have T-Mobile and get good reception in Northport Village and at the high school. 2 places I need reception. I get little to no reception in my house which is alright since I have a home phone. I am able to text from home but for a phone conversation I go outside. And I get little to no reception on 25A in Centerport going up and down those hills. I don't think anyone gets reception there.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:03 PM

3,180 posts, read 9,746,160 times
Kings Park is spotty...........ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island