Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:25 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
My sister sold her first house herself. Took the first offer which was the amount she wanted - everyone told her she was crazy and should hold out for more, blah blah - this is why people usually don't do well selling themselves - they don't understand how it works. IN the end my sister had a massive problem with the buyers and almost walked out of the closing without selling.
Not knowing the details of the situation, deals can fall through even with the best RE agents on hand. From what I hear, a good number of deals are falling through in the early stages, due to difficulties with lenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 08:47 AM

37 posts, read 54,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Frankly, I think most average people could do the same thing that agents do . . . especially the agents who are working in real estate more as a hobby and less as a career.

If you take all the steps and aren't getting any showings, you need to look at how you are marketing and pricing the house. Ask friends and acquaintances to comment critically on your listing, photos, etc. Double-check "comps" to make sure your price is in the ballpark.

If you eventually get frustrated and need to go to an agent, find one who does this to feed his/her family and not one who is killing time while the spouse is out doing real work. There are professional agents out there who look and act the part and are skilled in networking to ferret out the buyers. That's the kind of person you want.

Part time agents do have more "knowledge" than the general public... but your right that doesn't mean the motivated home owner could not do what the part timer is capable of. The motivated home owner will have to be willing to do the extra work. An agent does have better resources at their finger tips than the public.

Just like everything in life experience speaks volume and knowing the little details will always make for a smoother transaction. Most people who sell their home by owner end up selling to a friend or family member.

The largest concern I have for non professionals is personal and legal safety.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:53 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
Not knowing the details of the situation, deals can fall through even with the best RE agents on hand. From what I hear, a good number of deals are falling through in the early stages, due to difficulties with lenders.
Sure - but her situation would have been avoided with an agent I think. It involved what was conveying with the house and what was not. I think an agent would have thought to ask the seller (my sister) if the items in question were staying or going.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:03 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
If time is on your side try selling it as is where is and give the buyer half the money you save on a RE agent

Old 02-06-2014, 05:05 AM

133 posts, read 283,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I totally agree. The house we live in was a FSBO - never, ever again. I won't ever look at one again because I don't want to get sucked in. People sell their own houses because they are cheap. For whatever reason - need to make a certain profit because they overpaid or took took much equity out or whatever. That means that they are going to be hard to negotiate with and close the deal, because your average every day person isn't a good negotiator or deal closer. The other reason they sell thejselves is they fancy themselves smarter than anyone else and hope the buyer will go away without wanting anything from them (hence, KBInspections sees failures because sellers don't want to fix anything on a FSBO). You go the FSBO route and I guarantee you are shrinking your pool of buyers. GOOD agents earn their money.
Most private sellers want to avoid paying an agent a commisssion. Wouldn't we all rather have that money in our own pockets? That doesn't make someone cheap, it makes them smart. Do you really think a real estate agent has the sellers best interest at heart? Hell no, they want to earn a living like everyone else. Thats like saying a car salesman really cares about your needs when you buy a car. Imho real estate agents and car salesman are on par when it comes to making sales. Where do you come up with your accusation that a private seller fancies themselves smarter than everyone else? And by the way your sister should have had a contract that specified what went with the house and what she kept. That has nothing to do with an agent and everything to do with an attorney, a whole other slimy creature.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:01 PM

43 posts, read 156,952 times
I would post your home on forsalebyowner.com and also post on craigslist everyday there are two sections for long island on craigslist one when you go to newyork.craigslist and click long island on the locations tab on top and another on the right side where you'll see long island.

Also buy a large for sale sign or better yet one like the type real estate agents use that way drive-bys know the house is for sale.

And of course doing open houses on weekends.

& most important price your home correctly. I know many homes in woodmere and north woodmere tend to be outdated and home owners still want to list their homes over 700k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: