Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:23 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Plainview is heavily Jewish, but tends to be quite secular. There are certainly more observant Jews there as well, but its nothing like Kayfouroh described.
I never said it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I'm not sure how heavily Jewish Plainview is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott19 View Post
The school district still performs well.
The one they are in control of, Lawrence, is indeed performing below par, especially considering how it used to be.

Maybe you are thinking of Hewlett. That's a different story. Orthodox Jews who don't send their kids to public schools do not control the school board there.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:34 PM

192 posts, read 298,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The one they are in control of, Lawrence, is indeed performing below par, especially considering how it used to be.

Maybe you are thinking of Hewlett. That's a different story. Orthodox Jews who don't send their kids to public schools do not control the school board there.
Yeah I was. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:35 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,521 times
Quote:

So, sounds like anyone not an OJ shouldn't live in the Lawrence SD if they don't care for living under the OJ community norms. As a secular Jew myself, once informed I wouldn't even think of living there now.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:12 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
So, sounds like anyone not an OJ shouldn't live in the Lawrence SD if they don't care for living under the OJ community norms. As a secular Jew myself, once informed I wouldn't even think of living there now.
People pick on K40 for complaining about living in that general area, but he's doing a public service to the unwary who may end up there and be unpleasantly surprised.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,521 times
Quote:
I'm probably going to be called a bigot but I am just out of a highly Jewish area and you are right -- you will be the "other" people in the area.
For the Op, this is completely inaccurate. In Plainview and throughout the rest of LI, secular Jews are a minority, period. They don't try to convert you, and they're friendly neighbors in general. This 5T example given refers only to a unique enclave of OJ, not secular Jews, and they are simply not the same people.

Quote:
People pick on K40 for complaining about living in that general area, but he's doing a public service to the unwary who may end up there and be unpleasantly surprised.
Again, it's a disservice to generalize and confuse OJ norms with those of secular Jews, apples and oranges. How could anyone just end up there or elsewhere. Like the OP is doing with Plainview, anyone with grey matter researches out a target area before committing.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:39 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
I never said it was.
Should have phrased it better. Not all heavily Jewish neighborhoods are the same, what you experienced in Lawrence is far different from what you would have experienced in other heavily Jewish areas such as Plainview, or Jericho, Woodbury, Roslyn, etc.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:44 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
K40 intentional or not made it seem like all heavily Jewish areas are similar to what he experienced in Lawrence. That is certainly not the case. Lawrence has a large ultra Orthodox population and it has a large influence on the community, you just don't see that in other heavily Jewish areas of LI.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:27 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
There is more to the story here regarding Lawrence UFSD that usually gets left out. Originally, the area consisted of less observant Jews, Italians, African-Americans, and Hispanics. African-Americans have been living in Inwood since pre-WWII. The Orthodox started to buy homes from the less observant Jews and to some extent from the Italians. As previously mentioned, they send their children to private schools and not to the public schools. With the decrease in secular Jewish and Italian children, not only did the school district shrink, but what remained were the African-American and Hispanic children, who are now the majority. This is the other part of the bigotry when people criticize Lawrence UFSD and its decline in repuation. If the same conditions happened to neighboring predominantly white Hewlett-Woodmere where there was an increase in the Orthodox Jewish population buying out the homes and sending their children to private schools, the district would probably close its doors as there would not be enough Asian and African-American children left to support it.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:17 PM

192 posts, read 298,293 times
Quote:
I'm probably going to be called a bigot but I am just out of a highly Jewish area and you are right -- you will be the "other" people in the area. I'm not sure how heavily Jewish Plainview is, but down in the 5T, my wife and I were definitely out of place. They talk and talk about making the community better, but when you actually look into it... they are talking about THEIR community, not EVERYONE'S community.

They came in and destroyed the school board, created their own "Jewish services" (private library, private schools, private EMT services... even their own private roadside assistance program). Blocking roads on the Sabbath and refusing to move. Hosting private religious services in public schools. Taking private residences off the tax rolls by converting them to "houses of worship" (bath houses, etc.)

Now, who am I to say one way or another how people are to live? I don't care, but facts are facts. If it is anything like the 5T, it will be a nightmare. My wife and I are glad to be gone.
I just realized, if the services are after school, they do a church service at a local elementary school here, as well as an after school program. Plus this town (if this is even true) is an extreme case, that would never fly in Plainview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island