Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 10:43 AM

5,050 posts, read 3,954,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Forget what your agent thinks and rely on your own comps, especially since you sound like you are doing your homework on the local market. Unless you must have this home, hang back a little and don't be so eager to counter again soon. The sellers are feeling pretty bold right now and you need to make them feel a little nervous that you might walk away. A first offer of 5% off listing price is pretty generous, unless the home is spectacularly underpriced. And because you are absolutely right that you are looking in a so-so school district (and in a rural-type neighborhood that is not exactly kid-friendly) remember that you probably have less competition from families with school-age kids.

At the end of the day, the agent's highest priority is the sale and the commission, no matter how much fidelity they pledge to you. They are only too glad to spend your money by suggesting you bid close to asking when that may not be necessary.
Very good points - -especially the 'school age kids' observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 12:20 PM

325 posts, read 737,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Very good points - -especially the 'school age kids' observation.
Recent home sale stats in West Hills do not support this "good point" and your suppositions:

West Hills Recently Sold Homes and Recently Sold Homes in West Hills NY - 12 Months - Zillow

Homes seem to be selling quite well and at very good prices. I doubt everyone who's buying is childless. Use MLSLI or Zillow and you'll find comparable sales rates and values in "better" neighboring districts like Cold Spring Harbor or Harborfields.

Cold Spring Harbor Recently Sold Homes and Recently Sold Homes in Cold Spring Harbor NY - 12 Months - Zillow
Centerport Recently Sold Homes and Recently Sold Homes in Centerport NY - 12 Months - Zillow

Is longislander2's odd comment about the area being a "rural-type neighborhood that is not exactly kid-friendly" also a good point? Can you help explain that comment and expound upon it's value to the OP? What has been your personal experience with raising children in the West Hills area?

Last edited by h-tonian; 04-20-2013 at 12:50 PM..

Old 04-20-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Forget what your agent thinks and rely on your own comps, especially since you sound like you are doing your homework on the local market. Unless you must have this home, hang back a little and don't be so eager to counter again soon. The sellers are feeling pretty bold right now and you need to make them feel a little nervous that you might walk away. A first offer of 5% off listing price is pretty generous, unless the home is spectacularly underpriced. And because you are absolutely right that you are looking in a so-so school district (and in a rural-type neighborhood that is not exactly kid-friendly) remember that you probably have less competition from families with school-age kids.

At the end of the day, the agent's highest priority is the sale and the commission, no matter how much fidelity they pledge to you. They are only too glad to spend your money by suggesting you bid close to asking when that may not be necessary.
I agree that given the 'so-so' district and an offer just 5% below asking price the OP should have some leverage. Some sellers are a bit unrealistic about the quality of their own homes and think they are in a situation where they can expect full asking price. And I agree on comps - the comps don't lie but sellers often imagine differences in quality between their own homes and that of comps.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:34 PM

4 posts, read 10,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhasset hills1 View Post
Don't worry Umbertos is still there and La Parma which is awesome is still there as well. There is a restaurant that closed down on the corner of Round Swamp Rd and Jericho which remains as an empty lot so maybe thats what she was referring to? Anyway, not to worry, you always have McDonalds by Oakwood and Jericho.
Aw, I grew up going to these places! I was raised near the neighborhood in question and can say it's a fantastic place to grow up! Really kid friendly and not at all 'rural.' We used to ride our bikes to Umberto's and the other stores that are in that shopping center, and then had woods and a playground a short ride away at Oakwood School. There is quite a bit of money in the area. I've been back recently and it seems like nothing has changed in 20 years, except that maybe many of the homes are renovated and actually nicer than they were in the 80s and 90s. A friend I grew up with just bought a home with his wife and kids nearby.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
Recent home sale stats in West Hills do not support this "good point" and your suppositions:

West Hills Recently Sold Homes and Recently Sold Homes in West Hills NY - 12 Months - Zillow

Homes seem to be selling quite well and at very good prices. I doubt everyone who's buying is childless. Use MLSLI or Zillow and you'll find comparable sales rates and values in "better" neighboring districts like Cold Spring Harbor or Harborfields.

Cold Spring Harbor Recently Sold Homes and Recently Sold Homes in Cold Spring Harbor NY - 12 Months - Zillow
Centerport Recently Sold Homes and Recently Sold Homes in Centerport NY - 12 Months - Zillow

Is longislander2's odd comment about the area being a "rural-type neighborhood that is not exactly kid-friendly" also a good point? Can you help explain that comment and expound upon it's value to the OP? What has been your personal experience with raising children in the West Hills area?
First of all, forget about Zillow, Trulia and the like. The home values there are way off. On Long Island, they are often based on the "market values" set by tax assessors and not real values. My home is listed on Zillow for about $300K less than its actual sale price. You need to go to regular sources of comps, such as MLS or even some of the taxing authorities.

Second, homes still sell well in areas like Cold Spring Hills and West Hills in spite of the school district because they are nice areas. There are lots of nice areas on Long Island where the school districts are mediocre to crappy. It doesn't mean you shouldn't move there, as long as your eyes are open as to resale value and your kids' futures. We have friends in Cold Spring Hills and no way they would have sent their kids to the South Huntington Schools. They bit the bullet on tuition and sent their kids to Friends Academy and it has paid off handsomely in terms of their prestige colleges and career prospects.

Finally, a good part of West Hills is made up of large, wooded parcels and a lot of the properties have no sidewalks. Anyone who has lived on Long Island would know that this is less kid-friendly than other communities, where there are smaller lots and homes are closer together. I've lived in both kinds of neighborhoods and there is a distinctly different experience for kids. It's a whole lot different to walk or bike down the block to your friend's house and not have your mother pile you into the back of the SUV for a "play date."

Old 04-22-2013, 10:35 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Finally, a good part of West Hills is made up of large, wooded parcels and a lot of the properties have no sidewalks. Anyone who has lived on Long Island would know that this is less kid-friendly than other communities, where there are smaller lots and homes are closer together. I've lived in both kinds of neighborhoods and there is a distinctly different experience for kids. It's a whole lot different to walk or bike down the block to your friend's house and not have your mother pile you into the back of the SUV for a "play date."
The area where the OP is looking isn't really like that. The houses are fairly close together and many aren't on huge lots...there are some 1 acre plots on West 22nd but cross to the neighborhood on the south side and it's pretty neighborly....I think this is where the OP is interested.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:21 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The area where the OP is looking isn't really like that. The houses are fairly close together and many aren't on huge lots...there are some 1 acre plots on West 22nd but cross to the neighborhood on the south side and it's pretty neighborly....I think this is where the OP is interested.
I was thinking of West Hills south of Jericho Turnpike, more into horse country. I stand corrected.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:46 PM

15 posts, read 35,561 times
I used to live in the area where OP is looking....Cold Spring Terrace. It is lovely there. We only moved because we now have three kids and were in a small cape. We moved east to South Huntington, near St. Anthony's. I'm somewhat surprised by the comments on the school district. Sure, South Huntington doesn't have the reputation that some other districts have, but by no means is it the type of situation where you must send your kids to private school. My kids are in Birchwood and Oakwood and my only issue with the schools so far is the constant testing these kids are under...which is not limited to South Huntington. The teachers are wonderful and the principal at Birchwood is outstanding. We love the South Huntington community and have made many friends with parents through the schools. My kids are not old enough to attend jr. high and high school but I know parents who are happy with both of those, except for budget cuts which keep threatening to take away valuable programs. Again though I don't think that's limited to this district.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:34 PM

Good points. I think the OP is looking at pricing issue (comps, resale, etc) and understands the school district situation and is not necessarily contrasting it with neighboring school districts such as CSH, Syosset, Harborfields, etc.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 PM

325 posts, read 737,216 times
Quote:
First of all, forget about Zillow, Trulia and the like. The home values there are way off. On Long Island, they are often based on the "market values" set by tax assessors and not real values. My home is listed on Zillow for about $300K less than its actual sale price. You need to go to regular sources of comps, such as MLS or even some of the taxing authorities.
Zillow also provides recent home sales comps. The links I provided above show 12 month sales comps in West Hills, CSH, and Centerport. These are the actual prices the homes listed sold for.

Quote:
Second, homes still sell well in areas like Cold Spring Hills and West Hills in spite of the school district because they are nice areas. There are lots of nice areas on Long Island where the school districts are mediocre to crappy. It doesn't mean you shouldn't move there, as long as your eyes are open as to resale value and your kids' futures. We have friends in Cold Spring Hills and no way they would have sent their kids to the South Huntington Schools. They bit the bullet on tuition and sent their kids to Friends Academy and it has paid off handsomely in terms of their prestige colleges and career prospects.
I live in Cold Spring Hills, and I assure you plenty of residents use the school district - probably most. I've heard very good things about the academic and athletic programs and have known several kids who went on to top tier colleges. That being said, all my kids went to private school, but they would have still gone private even if we lived in the CSH or Jericho districts.

[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Good points. I think the OP is looking at pricing issue (comps, resale, etc) and understands the school district situation and is not necessarily contrasting it with neighboring school districts such as CSH, Syosset, Harborfields, etc.
...and if you actually look in the comps in the links I provided above, you homes selling at comparable rates and prices to CSH and Harborfields. The "so-so" school district doesn't seem to have much of an impact based on the comps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island