Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 03:54 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times

Advertisements

>> all of the posters who suggested staining both sides of the fence. It's a good idea and will help neighbor relations. Tell him that you paid for the fence, and get the neighbor to pay to stain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 06:08 PM

75 posts, read 227,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Well, on one hand, it sounds like the OP didn't communicate very well with his neighbor. On the other, I can remember the time I put up a fence on the side of my yard and a neighbor with property perpendicular to that side complained that I was blocking her view across the yards. I had to tell her that the main reason I put up the fence was her four-foot-tall grass.

We tried to be clear - he even asked about the fence, and we told them when the people were coming, etc. He never asked what the fence was made of, and I am not sure why someone would assume it was vinyl...especially since it's more expensive. If he asked we would have told him, but at this point, maybe I'm glad he didn't because I wouldn't feel like having a whole debate over something we were paying for and was going on our property anyway. thank you for all the responses....

Old 04-22-2013, 06:30 PM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Screw them. They're getting a free fence. They don't like the Color or material too bad, they can put up their own fence behind it then, on their dime. I have seen the dual Color fence a few times and it looks dumb. Whatever color they do needs to be done on both sides or it will look ridiculous, end of story.

On a side note, if the fence is constructed of treated wood you need to wait a few months to stain or paint it. If it's the cheapo untreated stockade spruce then you can do it as soon as you like.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:06 PM

654 posts, read 2,120,315 times
nope. your fence. it will drip through.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
to everyone else who says they're getting a free fence... who says they wanted a fence to begin with? I'd rather no fence than a wooden fence (those things break apart, discolor, or at the very least start to lean in my past experience). Anyway, too bad for the neighbors at this point... but personally I would let them stain it without worry. Even if you don't allow it, they need to suck it up.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
It doesn't matter what is used on the fence. If you paint or stain or seal only one side, that side will weather less than the other side. [That means the owner's side will weather worse and look like cr*p first.]

Tell your neighbor he has to do both sides if he wants anything done and that it is YOUR choice of color. Or, you do nothing.

A stockade or raw wood fence should be stained. It seals the wood and protects it. It would be in your interest to do it, and every few years

Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
to everyone else who says they're getting a free fence... who says they wanted a fence to begin with? I'd rather no fence than a wooden fence (those things break apart, discolor, or at the very least start to lean in my past experience). Anyway, too bad for the neighbors at this point... but personally I would let them stain it without worry. Even if you don't allow it, they need to suck it up.
Agreed. PVC baby. Greatest thing I ever bought for El Rancho Levitto. After tearing out rotted, falling, splintering wood I said no way I'm replacing it with more wood. Nature is overrated! Still, neighbor can pound sand and get his own fence. Or not.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:01 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
It could be worse. Your neighbors tree could fall on your house and then expect to you pay for it. You can't pick your neighbors...
For that you would make a claim to your home owners insurance neighbor is not liable unless he made it fall

Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 AM

520 posts, read 1,653,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
For that you would make a claim to your home owners insurance neighbor is not liable unless he made it fall
Don't get me started...

Old 04-23-2013, 07:54 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,743 times
Whos going to paint-stain the other 3 sides?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: