Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:14 PM

13 posts, read 27,445 times

Advertisements

Sorry but I am not familiar with the term PMFL Website? I just checked the sex offender registry and read up on the toxic plume...the area of Woodchuck does not seem to be affected. It seems though that Long Island overall has an insanely high rate of cancers!
if it were up to me and not my husbands solid job and income here I would be gone off of this GODFORSAKEN Island!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 09:51 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,636,857 times
PFML = Parents for Megan's Law

Old 04-26-2013, 03:22 PM

Ok thank you
I checked the nys registry and found two in east setauket and unfortunately that one living pretty much right in the neighborhhod I am looking in!

Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 PM

148 posts, read 474,616 times
We looked there. Hated the houses Especially the mushrooms. You might be better off purchasing one of the PJS houses that is in 3V school district.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:20 PM

11 posts, read 21,489 times
I live in the area. IMO the mink/woodchuck side of old town is nicer than the partridge/lynx critter section. No mushroom or square houses. Three of my neighbors just put in inground pools or extensions. Friendly neighbors, lots of teachers. Tons of kids...I think there are at least 10 kids 5 and under just on my block alone.

It's not the fancy part of setauket, but its definitely not ghetto!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 AM

Thank you shamrock777! I have been talking to so many people and driving through the neighborhood whenever I am in the area! I have seen so many kids and people out working on their lawns, homes seems to be very well maintained. I am not a HUGE fan of the Hi-ranches there, but they are way better than the mushroom homes. We decided to add a front porch to the house and I have seen a few that did that and the look completely changes from strange rectangular box hi ranch to more of a colonial look! The houseinside are set up strange, with the kitchens on the lower level, but we also are moving the kitchen to the upper level and turning the lower level into man cave and playroom!

Old 05-02-2013, 08:23 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,996,125 times
It's a relatively inexpensive way to get into a good school district. I did some looking there, but I didn't like the proximity to power lines and the houses are indeed ugly. I had some experience in that neighborhood as a college kid...it's in much better shape now than it was back then, whet there were a LOT of rentals. The house I lived in should have been condemned, I can't imagine how much work the family that moved in there had to put into it.

I think that the ranch is the best layout of all of them. The mushroom houses are really lacking in space.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:39 PM

254 posts, read 435,200 times
Take a look around - it's not bad. People have remodeled and some of the houses are pretty nice. Good sized properties as well. Also, some parts of S. Setauket are nice, particularly on the east side of Wireless Rd. You're buying into one of the better school districts out here. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2013, 02:52 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,636,857 times
Shamrock -- how big of a cut through is Possum/Woodchuck/Bunny? It looks like a way to dodge the lights at Sheep Pasture/Old Town when you're heading north.

Also, how is the progress on the bike path which will terminate on 112 by 25A near Bravo and the PJ Bowl? How far is that from the backyards on Bunny and Possum? It would nice for he people who live in those homes to leave through their backyards and wind up right on the path.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:58 PM

11 posts, read 21,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Shamrock -- how big of a cut through is Possum/Woodchuck/Bunny? It looks like a way to dodge the lights at Sheep Pasture/Old Town when you're heading north.

Also, how is the progress on the bike path which will terminate on 112 by 25A near Bravo and the PJ Bowl? How far is that from the backyards on Bunny and Possum? It would nice for he people who live in those homes to leave through their backyards and wind up right on the path.
Not really used as a cut thru at all. The roads wind a bit a so you're better off just sitting at the light. It's very infrequently I see a car on my block I don't recognize. Lynx is used to get from old town to sheep pasture though!

I use the path a lot but not having been down in the pit a while to see the progress that way. I just hope it doest bring undesirables from pjs into our neighborhood. there are plenty of trees that separate the yards from the path in that area, plus on possum those houses are on a higher elevation than the path. They are also extending the path to the west - people over there (gnarled hollow) are upset bc the path is wide there and they took down a lot of trees - they can get to the path from their yards.

There are also no whole house rentals to stony brook kids over here. We don't have the mushroom houses either. When I drive down lynx there are a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: