Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:03 AM

159 posts, read 408,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanase View Post
Too many mixed answers, too many people talking out of their ***es. Sorry, not trying to be rude. :P

To somebody who absolutely knows, if I were to order this fence as extended, do my neighbors get informed, do they have a right to object to this new fence?
If I were to get a picture of where the fence would be from the neighbors driveway and prove it's a safe view of the street, is there anything else they could complain about that would end up getting it removed by the town?
People keep saying as long as I legally install it, but isn't part of the installation getting the consent of your neighbor(s)?
This is Town of Oyster Bay, Massapequa BTW
Dude you are rude - keep up telling people you ask for help that they are talking out their a$$. You'll go far that way. You have two choices 1. install it without a permit the way you want and risk fines and removal if done wrong or 2. Contact the TOB and find out what is correct way to go about it including how far you can extend the fence. If I were you -Your first call Monday is with the Town of Oyster Bay. I'll even look up the number for you. 516-624-6200 Simple google search Building Division - Planning and Development - Town of OYSTER BAY*

/end thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 03:54 PM

6 posts, read 33,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Figure it out yourself then.
Don't get so offended. Lol

Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 PM

6 posts, read 33,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoelmo View Post
Dude you are rude - keep up telling people you ask for help that they are talking out their a$$. You'll go far that way. You have two choices 1. install it without a permit the way you want and risk fines and removal if done wrong or 2. Contact the TOB and find out what is correct way to go about it including how far you can extend the fence. If I were you -Your first call Monday is with the Town of Oyster Bay. I'll even look up the number for you. 516-624-6200 Simple google search Building Division - Planning and Development - Town of OYSTER BAY*

/end thread
By "talking out of their a$$es" it means to be saying something without backup or fact.
Like I said, no intentions of being rude. If you are offended by it, fine.
I appreciate people defending me, but while doing so, some are giving wrong information that could lead to me having to shell away $5000 to remove the fence. I know this is a forum and all, but for me this is a serious situation.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 AM

159 posts, read 408,314 times
Quote:
By "talking out of their a$$es" it means to be saying something without backup or fact.
I appreciate people defending me, but while doing so, some are giving wrong information that could lead to me having to shell away $5000 to remove the fence. I know this is a forum and all, but for me this is a serious situation.
Did you speak with the TOB yet?

Old 04-22-2014, 09:09 PM

28 posts, read 60,036 times
Quote:
so what did you end up doing?

Old 07-18-2014, 06:15 AM

7 posts, read 14,551 times
Having a very similar issue. Want to extend my front yard fence closer to the sidewalk but not sure how far I can legally go. There is and existing permit for the fence so I'm not worried about getting another permit just don't want the fence to be too close. Is there a rule on far off the sidewalk it has to be? All I've read said " doesn't obstruct sight lines" but that leaves a lot of room for interpretation

Old 07-18-2014, 04:15 PM

483 posts, read 670,143 times
The biggest thing is you are making a Queens type fence along her front, which understandably she does not want, and which probably will have to go down to 3 feet near the sidewalk. I would ask the town before you put the fence in, you have a funny situaation. They may make you make it a certain height

Now that I think about it there is a a fence like what you want in my neighborhood that does go down the neighbor's front lawn (put in many yrs ago) but it is 3 ft high. I'm sure if it were against code, the village would have done something about it by now.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:00 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
My parents house on a corner lot did exactly that. It is "blocking" the neighbor's side view with 6ft fence, although it is angled at the corner such that it is not an L-shape corner but an angled U (bottom and right 2 sides face them). My parents didn't do a permit for it. The neighbor's driveway is on the far side so they have plenty of room to see traffic coming. Is it by the book? Don't know, don't care. I think they did complain once but nothing came of it.

Previously, there were tall shrubs in that exact configuration anyway. The fence was put in place after a burglary - thieves just walked through the bushes to break into the rear slider. Maybe contributed to the neighbor's understanding.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:22 PM

7 posts, read 14,551 times
Rehashing old thread. I have the exact same issue. Corner property in massapequa and want to extend fence on my front yard(not corner side) closer to sidewalk as my side yard is my backyard. How close to sidewalk can I go? My neighbors driveway is no way near my fence. All the town website says blocking sight lines. Any input?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island