Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:06 AM

214 posts, read 467,913 times

Advertisements

thank you. I'll pass the information on to my 17 year old high school student. Most high school students still live with their parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:15 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekochan999 View Post
thank you. I'll pass the information on to my 17 year old high school student. Most high school students still live with their parents.
Plenty of 17 yr olds at rehearsal spaces too. Not every mommy has a basement for Junior to annoy the neighbors in. Apparently he's ready to leave the nest. I'm just telling you how the major percentage of pro drummers/bands rehearse, especially in cities/urban environments. They have heavy metal drummers everywhere, but most can't play in their apartment/condo/dorm.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:43 AM

45 posts, read 92,143 times
your child is lucky to have such supportive parents make sure he doesn't take it for granted

Old 04-30-2013, 02:24 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Drum pads would solve the problem, yes?

Old 04-30-2013, 02:34 PM

no... drum pads only muffle the sound a little. 'Thrash' drumming is, well, let's say very enthusiastic. The studio idea solves my concerns.... I just had no idea how bands/drummers practice in real life if they don't live in a house.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:18 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Plenty of 17 yr olds at rehearsal spaces too. Not every mommy has a basement for Junior to annoy the neighbors in. Apparently he's ready to leave the nest. I'm just telling you how the major percentage of pro drummers/bands rehearse, especially in cities/urban environments. They have heavy metal drummers everywhere, but most can't play in their apartment/condo/dorm.
Wana bet give me the sticks.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:22 PM

884 posts, read 1,405,433 times
Quote:
no... drum pads only muffle the sound a little. 'Thrash' drumming is, well, let's say very enthusiastic. The studio idea solves my concerns.... I just had no idea how bands/drummers practice in real life if they don't live in a house.
Sounds like Animal on the Muppets going crazy.

We had a neighbor years ago who practiced the drums outside. And he wasn't that good.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 AM

yup...lol. Animal = thrash metal drummer. Although to be honest, to me he sounds really good, but I can understand where others wouldn't tolerate the noise. One of his bands was in a 'battle of the bands' at a high school and got a standing ovation, and has now been asked to tour with another band. (only new jersey, but it's a start).

Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
yup...lol. Animal = thrash metal drummer. Although to be honest, to me he sounds really good, but I can understand where others wouldn't tolerate the noise. One of his bands was in a 'battle of the bands' at a high school and got a standing ovation, and has now been asked to tour with another band. (only new jersey, but it's a start).
Now you're talking! Playing live is the greatest education. A live gig is worth months of rehearsals. Good luck to him. I was touring at 17 but had no parental guidance or roots (and yet still turned out ok...eventually, lol). Hopefully he can strike a balance between doing what he loves and still finishing school. I busted yer chops but you have to have tough skin to be a heavy metal mom/dad. I do wish you all well. Metal drumming is a true labor of love. One that I appreciate. Neighbors be damned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t7G3TKdKeM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island