Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 AM

214 posts, read 468,253 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have decided to leave long island. My son, who is graduating high school, plans on staying on long island and attending nassau community college. He is a drummer in two thrash/death metal bands. We would pay for his rent, just like we would pay for his dorm room if he were going away to college. Our concern is finding a place for him that would allow him to practice his drumming (and have room for his drum set and cello)

Any ideas on how to find a place like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 09:46 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Most actual grownup musicians rent a rehearsal space. In some places monthly but in NYC and on LI it's usually hourly. It's a wild luxury to have a basement or space to practice your own drums unless you own your own house or live with mom and dad. The rest of us pay the piper, practice for 2-3 hours and go back to wherever we live to eat and sleep. Finding an apartment where death metal breakbeat drumming is welcome is pretty unheard of. Best bet is rent a whole house with a basement and have him soundproof it well. Doesn't sound like the most cost effective method to me but then I never had mommy and daddy pay for my school or music. Not that I'm bitter or anything, lol.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:29 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Get an electronic drum set with headphones. It's the only way unless you can find something like the previous posters describe. We used to get by in a garage, but we didn't play that crap either.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:57 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,459 times
Good luck with that most people will cry about the noise it would be easy if they just turned down their hearing aids!

Old 04-29-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Get an electronic drum set with headphones. It's the only way unless you can find something like the previous posters describe. We used to get by in a garage, but we didn't play that crap either.
ewwww, Roosty, I hope no self respecting metal head will stoop to electronic drums. That's just wroonnngggg.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:40 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
As a student at NCC, he should be entitled to use the college practice rooms in the music building. He would have to bring his instruments back and forth with him as there would be no place for storage. He would also have to find someplace else for rehearsal space with his band. Call the NCC music department to find out about their practice room policies. He might have to be taking private lessons through the school to be able to use them. If his instruments have any value, I would strongly urge you to get them insured.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 AM

Thanks everyone... I didn't know about renting a private rehearsal space for the bands and didn't even think of the NCC rooms (he will be in the music department...he's going for a certificate in audio recording).

Old 04-30-2013, 06:15 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
To the OP what if you found a rental and he practised at the residence of one of his band mates? I would assume the band consists of more than one instrument.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:32 AM

I was looking at long term - musicians are flaky and bands break up all the time, so if he wanted to start or join a new band I wanted to find out his options for him to let him know that he has choices. Obviously practicing at someone's house is the cheapest way to go but there aren't that many parents that are willing to have thrash/death metal bands practice in their house - they are LOUD!!!!

Old 04-30-2013, 06:49 AM

Phase I (Farmingdale), Dare (Deer Park), Lyric (Garden City), Jam House (Lindenhurst), Center Stage (Bellmore), many more. Time to grow up and get out of Mommy's basement. You pay to rock and no one can tell you to turn it down. Usually $25-$35/hr. Split between the band members. They often cut day time breaks for solo drummers at about
$10/hr. Welcome to the music business machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island