Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 01:05 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times

Advertisements

By the way, also some motion-activated flood lights on that side of the house would help. Even if they know it's not really you turning them on, they don't want the extra attention from any neighbors before they do the deed.

Every house should have these anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 01:23 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
In my opinion black chain link galvanized with a black vinyl coating looks more statley

Old 04-30-2013, 01:31 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
In my opinion black chain link galvanized with a black vinyl coating looks more statley
And offers NO privacy.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:34 PM

414 posts, read 808,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How did cameras help you in that situation?

They were there in the event something happened when I was not there, so I had proof to do whatever I felt needed to be done. Luckily I did not have to do anything.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:44 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
They were there in the event something happened when I was not there, so I had proof to do whatever I felt needed to be done. Luckily I did not have to do anything.
Oh ...

Old 05-01-2013, 04:19 PM

551 posts, read 1,575,337 times
I suggest a large concrete block immediately behind the panel.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:16 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
This just happened to our neighbors down the street who just had the fence installed.

The punishment for these kids should be that the affected homeowner should get to smash every piece of media that they own, including their stupid i phones that they are more likely than not using to take video of their escapades.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech51 View Post
Hi,
I live in Dix Hills on a corner property and have had over 5 incidents of someone breaking my vinyl fencing over the last few years. The incidents happen at night... I assume it is some teenagers but I don't know for sure. Each time, I find several panels laying in my backyard. A few times, some of the panels have been cracked as a result of this.

I have called the police several times. But it seems there is not much they can do... except they promise to keep an eye on this when they patrol the streets.

I am seriously considering adding a security camera but I question what good that will do. Even if the camera catches someone's face, will the police be able to find them?

I am also considering adding a second layer of fencing only on the side that faces the street - possibly wood or some type of metal/chain-link that I assume kids don't try to crash into. This will not look pretty - but I'm tired of constantly repairing my fence.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to deal with this:
- Is the double fence idea worthwhile? If so, what type of fence would work best?
- Any recommendations on security cameras or companies that will install this equipment?

Thanks
Before you go all out and spend a bunch of money on this, try a dummy camera with LED. These work better as a deterrent than an actual security cam. Place it strategically on that side of the house pointing right where the vandals would be and where they would see it. Make sure it is far and high enough so they can't vandalize the camera itself. If that fails, then take it to the next level.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:41 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
I suggest a large concrete block immediately behind the panel.
...and then watch as "Conner" or "Travis" parents sue the homeowner for killing their little angel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: