Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:21 PM

31 posts, read 89,990 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

My wife will be starting a new job soon near West Islip and I work in Stony Brook. We currently live far west from either of the two places and would like to move to some place between West Islip and Stony Brook so that the commute is less for both of us and preferably closer to major highways. Ronkonkoma, Hauppauge seem like good choices. Any other suggestions?

We will also want to rent a 3BR house. I am looking for postings at trulia and zillow. Are there any other sources that I should look at? Any advice on renting a house from experienced folks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 05:59 AM

3,524 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt007 View Post
Hi guys

My wife will be starting a new job soon near West Islip and I work in Stony Brook. We currently live far west from either of the two places and would like to move to some place between West Islip and Stony Brook so that the commute is less for both of us and preferably closer to major highways. Ronkonkoma, Hauppauge seem like good choices. Any other suggestions?

We will also want to rent a 3BR house. I am looking for postings at trulia and zillow. Are there any other sources that I should look at? Any advice on renting a house from experienced folks?
Budget? Kids??? SD needs/wants??

Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 AM

31 posts, read 89,990 times
Budget: 2-2.3k
Kids: one 2.5 years old and another 2 weeks old so no school district issues for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Budget? Kids??? SD needs/wants??

Old 05-03-2013, 07:51 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Bohemia, Sayville, Holbrook

Old 05-03-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Kids: one 2.5 years old and another 2 weeks old so no school district issues for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Would have to agree with OB. I would add in West Sayville and Oakdale as well. (stay north of Montauk to avoid flooding)

Good access to West islip via Sunrise (its a real highway out here)
and good access to SB via Nicolls Rd.

The plus side is that if you stay, you'll be in decent SDs already. Connetquot for Bohemia/Oakdale, Sayville for Sayville/West Sayville, Sachem for Holbrook.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:07 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
If traveling on Sunrise Hwy through the Connetquot Park merge then I would stay west of that bottle neck!! That can add 15 mins to your commute.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
If traveling on Sunrise Hwy through the Connetquot Park merge then I would stay west of that bottle neck!! That can add 15 mins to your commute.
Only if you are there after 8:15. Before that its just fine.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:53 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
True it will be easier for the wife to deal with the merge heading east against traffic.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Only if you are there after 8:15. Before that its just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
True it will be easier for the wife to deal with the merge heading east against traffic.
The merge heading west is not as bad as the one heading east.

Heading east, the trick is to get off on to service road at the exit between 111 the merge. Ride the service road as far as you can and reenter the hwy right at the merge. i did this drive for 8+ years without an issue

Old 05-03-2013, 10:01 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
It all depends on time of day.

The spouse in WI will already have the advantage of being closer to work if the settle along Sunrise in Sayville, Oakdale, and parts of Bohemia. If they wind up west of Connetquot, the SB bound spouse will have a longer commute.

You have to take SBU and SCC traffic leaving the campuses -- once 4PM hits, it gets heavy for a while. The southbound light at Nicolls and 347 can back up as badly as the Oakdale merge.

I drive from SB LIRR to Portion and Hawkins in Lake Ronkonkonkoma 2x weekly at 5 PM. Yesterday it took 25 minutes. I dropped off my passenger and headed to Babies R Us on Sunrise off Lakeland. It took an additional 20 minutes from the time I left my passenger until I arrived at the traffic light on Lakeland just north of apartment complex (back way into shopping Center without going on 27). If I could have used Nicolls, I would have been looking at 35 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island