Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 06:15 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmosandmind View Post
Since, I'm on a corner, it's 5ft in from each curb, right smack on my lawn.
Should they have placed it in the street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 06:15 PM

200 posts, read 379,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Kind of hard now that he already complained to the town about it.

I'm just curious as to why you feel you're so special that it shouldn't be on your lawn, but it's perfectly fine on one of the other properties on that corner? You also stated there are four other corners it could have gone on. Where is this 5 corner intersection?
see below. Also, since I've been here (14 years) the street signs has been mounted on a telephone pole so it was on no one's curb. Now all of a sudden, they changed it.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:18 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,924 times
Quote:
see below. Also, since I've been here (14 years) the street signs has been mounted on a telephone pole so it was on no one's curb. Now all of a sudden, they changed it.
Ok, I can see why you don't like the change, maybe, but again why do you feel you're above having it on your lawn, but it's ok on someone else's?

Old 05-03-2013, 06:18 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
If "your" lawn goes clear to the pavement there's probably an easement. It will vary but a typical residential street under current codes is usually 24 feet to 36 feet wide if there is on-street parking. There is usually also, but not always, a 4 foot wide easement past the pavement line. You may have put your sprinklers in the right of way.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:21 PM

200 posts, read 379,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Ok, I can see why you don't like the change, maybe, but again why do you feel you're above having it on your lawn, but it's ok on someone else's?
It would not be on the other people's lawns because they have sidewalks. From my corner house down, (4 houses) we have no side walks, all of us have lawns to the curb.

I don't say that they should put it on someone else's lawn, put it back on the pole like it was. All I'm asking is am I stuck with it, not that someone else should have to suffer.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:49 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Since, I'm on a corner, it's 5ft in from each curb, right smack on my lawn.
Sounds like there's an easement, sorry to say. If your corner had a sidewalk, it sounds as though the sign would be in the sidewalk.

Not that I advocate vandalism, but I would have been silent about the sign and given it the BadAndyHolbrook treatment in the dead of the night.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:51 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Have you ever heard of the concept of Eminent_domain ?
The OP would have received a notice of the Town's intent to seize the property if this were eminent domain.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:12 PM

3,520 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Have you ever heard of the concept of Eminent_domain ?
Eminent Domain is when they take the property for the public good and pay your for it. This is not what the town did.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:18 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,183 times
I think you should get your copy of your survey out and see what size property you have then look at the distance your house is set back from the property line on the survey.

Both towns I have owned a home in had 8 feet next to the street that was town owned so if your survey says 25 foot setback and you measure 33 feet to the street the town owns the last 8 feet.

You may construct sidewalks and curbs in this space at your expense but you do not own the property under them.

Every town/village is diffrent so check the survey.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:32 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
I had the same thing happen in Stony Brook. They put a road sign in our front yard - never notified us - but they put it 20 feet too far in from the southern boundary of our yard, which made the sign stick out like a sore thumb, so I picked up the phone and convinced the town to move the sign to the northern boundary line between us and our neighbor, which took the sign away from being directly in our front yard, and now it's in a much less obtrusive spot. It's not in the neighbors yard either.

The town said that their computer said to put the road sign on our property. There was no fighting that, but there were two choices as to where the sign would be placed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island