Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 10:40 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times

Advertisements

See, we're not so bad...

We’ve seen this in the movies: Someone showers a crowd with money, causing a frenzy as people bump, poke and tear at each other while they fill their pockets with as many bills as they can.

But not on Long Island. Yesterday, drivers on Nicolls Road in Stony Brook got a Halloween treat when bags of money fell out of an armored car and burst on the road. Three people stopped their cars and immediately helped to pick up the $15,000 that was blowing in the wind.

When the clean-up was over, all but $128 was returned.

From the Associated Press story:

I’ve never seen that much money in one place,” said one of the auxiliary officers, George Fuhr, 76. “It was wild.”

A sack of cash apparently tumbled onto Nicolls Road Wednesday because the armored car’s door wasn’t completely closed. The bills burst from the bag after cars ran it over.

Fuhr and his patrol partner, Ralph Cabattente, 73, stopped when they came across the commotion and directed traffic while waiting for Suffolk County police.

Fuhr said the bystanders were able to recover all but $128 of money and return it to its rightful owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 03:51 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
That was a very heart-warming story & it says a lot about Long Islanders.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:53 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
See, we're not so bad...

We’ve seen this in the movies: Someone showers a crowd with money, causing a frenzy as people bump, poke and tear at each other while they fill their pockets with as many bills as they can.

But not on Long Island. Yesterday, drivers on Nicolls Road in Stony Brook got a Halloween treat when bags of money fell out of an armored car and burst on the road. Three people stopped their cars and immediately helped to pick up the $15,000 that was blowing in the wind.

When the clean-up was over, all but $128 was returned.

From the Associated Press story:

I’ve never seen that much money in one place,” said one of the auxiliary officers, George Fuhr, 76. “It was wild.”

A sack of cash apparently tumbled onto Nicolls Road Wednesday because the armored car’s door wasn’t completely closed. The bills burst from the bag after cars ran it over.

Fuhr and his patrol partner, Ralph Cabattente, 73, stopped when they came across the commotion and directed traffic while waiting for Suffolk County police.

Fuhr said the bystanders were able to recover all but $128 of money and return it to its rightful owners.
It's great to hear good news about honest people

Old 11-01-2007, 09:12 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
I'm not gonna lie, I would've pocketed that loot!!

Old 11-02-2007, 11:37 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,270 times
It must have been fun to roll in all that dough, like some sort of game show stunt. Grab all the money you can and drive away...

lol

Amazed to see all but $128 was returned!

Old 11-03-2007, 02:46 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
It must have been fun to roll in all that dough, like some sort of game show stunt. Grab all the money you can and drive away...

lol

Amazed to see all but $128 was returned!
That's cause I wasn't there, heh, heh.

Sounds like the money all belonged to some bank. Inasmuch as we all know how nice banks are to young gals dancing around to the theme from the "Mary Tyler Moore Show", my experience of them makes crack dealers and three card monte con artists look pretty moral.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:14 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I'm not gonna lie, I would've pocketed that loot!!
lol me too...i need to buy a house...every little bit helps lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: