Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 08:50 AM

75 posts, read 227,538 times

Advertisements

hey all!

I was cleaning my garage today (very exciting) and vaccuuming with the shop vac. I think i "unearthed" some termites or something, because at one point I looked up and there were swarming outside the garage. When we bought our house, we had termite contract, so we have the bait stations around the house (no activity). Now I'm flipping out that they are going to fly to my house! Already called the pest company - any other advice? Should I stay out of the garage? How annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 08:55 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,062,659 times
Its a beautiful day out. Grab a chair, a nice alcoholic beverage of your choice, a can of Raid Flying Insect bug killer......and sit in the sun between your house and garage and kill them before they make it to the house.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:24 AM

now THAT would be fun

Old 05-10-2013, 12:08 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
I had a swarm in my driveway. They are everywhere due to all the downed trees

I called my guy. No biggie unless you see white ones in the house or mud trails.

Crooks

Old 05-10-2013, 01:56 PM

159 posts, read 408,271 times
Yep First warm day - swarmers hatch and all the termite companies rejoice. Most people freak out and sign a big $$ contract. Find out where they are coming from. If they are swarming from outside don't worry too much. If they are in your garage get your termite company to get on it

Old 05-10-2013, 02:41 PM

15 posts, read 52,750 times
What happens if you see the white ones in your house? I saw them the other day and called the exterminator who is coming out next week.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 AM

thanks guys fortunately we had a contract on the house with a pest-control company when we bought it - one of the conditions of the sale - they had termites in the 80s at some point and we have those traps scattered throughout the lawn. No new damage or activity when we bought the house, but it's always something I'm paranoid for. Pretty sure we have them in the garage - the company is coming out next week. I have a feeling there will be a bill in my future....and let's just have a guessing game as to whether the garage was covered in the contract....

Old 05-14-2013, 03:54 PM

195 posts, read 310,448 times
i just had a winged swarm too..came in through the front door and all died on the floor. just bought the house last year...not pleased with our stupid inspector..i think the damage was visable in plain sight when we had the inspection..but all they did was call an exterminator for us who quoted higher than our current exterminator. was considering suing. but i guess if the previous owner withholds information its our problem.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:11 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,107 times
I also read somewhere if you plant catnip ground cover around the house it helps with them. We had a few swarms 2 years ago, then planted it and nothing since. Of course, a few stray cats might come into your yard, but I'd take kitty over termites.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:56 PM

65 posts, read 192,622 times
I had two swarms this spring also. One last year. They were on my kitchen tiles and basement tiles on the same side of the wall facing the backyard. I'm not sure if they are coming in from the outside or there is already termites in the house. Arrow came in and said they should be in the walls and suggested using the bait system. Another company said it's more efficient using liquid chemical and drill around the outside of the house and pour the liquid chemical in. Since the house is mostly surround by cement the only effective way is by drilling. I don't like the idea of drilling since the patched holes will look ugly.

I'm reading a lot on the web and I think I can purchase Advance bait system and install them myself. Some companies use the same baiting system.

Does anyone has any suggestion using the drilling method vs. the bait system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island