Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 08:32 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
To compare Walmart with Starbucks and Whole Foods is ridiculous. Have you bought anything from Staryuck and Whole Paycheck lately. They consistently rip off consumers with their high prices. I dont know why anyone would feel it necessary to purchase higher priced items to support giving more money to employees who have little to offer other employers.
No argument on Starbux, but Whole Foods provides excellent quality foods at premium prices. We shop for staples at Shoprite and Costco, but visit Whole Foods for specialties which you won't find in most other places. We also visit Fairway on occasion. Frankly, the real crime on LI is shopping at Stop-and-Shop. Prices at S&S are brutal, unless the item is on sale.

Doesn't matter, by August my grocery bills will drop a good 15%... we'll be off of Long Island and that's the differential between LI and our new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 08:46 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
No argument on Starbux, but Whole Foods provides excellent quality foods at premium prices. We shop for staples at Shoprite and Costco, but visit Whole Foods for specialties which you won't find in most other places. We also visit Fairway on occasion.
Never buy fresh meats in WMT. Whole Foods still offers the widest selection when it comes to grass fed. TJs is only starting to catch up.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:31 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
No argument on Starbux, but Whole Foods provides excellent quality foods at premium prices. We shop for staples at Shoprite and Costco, but visit Whole Foods for specialties which you won't find in most other places. We also visit Fairway on occasion. Frankly, the real crime on LI is shopping at Stop-and-Shop. Prices at S&S are brutal, unless the item is on sale.

Doesn't matter, by August my grocery bills will drop a good 15%... we'll be off of Long Island and that's the differential between LI and our new home.
Not sure where you are going, but where we moved we signed up for produce delivery from local farms. Cut our weekly shopping costs by about $20-$30 and we get fresh-from-farm produce, also it allows us to try different produce than what we would normally get in the store. Our weekly shopping trips are now just meats and assorted things like condiments and milk/eggs/etc. I'd recommend seeing if you can do something like that.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Never buy fresh meats in WMT. Whole Foods still offers the widest selection when it comes to grass fed. TJs is only starting to catch up.
Ehhh I used to buy into the TJs trend but after taking a step back, it's all pre-packaged and/or frozen meals. Maybe that works for other people but we cook every night so it's not necessary to have TJs prepare things for us.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:52 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
I sure wish we could get a Trader Joe's here (in the Babylon area). The Trader Joe's in California were huge (lots of great samples) and everywhere. I guess it is the liquor lobby that limits the size of the ones we have in New York. I sure would love to have one nearby, though.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-07-2013 at 08:02 AM..

Old 06-07-2013, 08:56 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,022 times
Quote:
Another one leaving?!

Best of luck, dude!

Old 06-07-2013, 10:31 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Ehhh I used to buy into the TJs trend but after taking a step back, it's all pre-packaged and/or frozen meals. Maybe that works for other people but we cook every night so it's not necessary to have TJs prepare things for us.
You should try the frozen eggplant w/ zucchini. It goes well with the frozen mandarin chicken.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
You should try the frozen eggplant w/ zucchini. It goes well with the frozen mandarin chicken.

Over their frozen rice with frozen vegetables?

Old 06-07-2013, 11:38 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
No one place is perfect. We do primary shopping at TJ's for weekly staples, but I end up hitting Fairway and S&S on a fairly regular basis to buy stuff that TJ's doesn't have, or doesn't do right (like non-standard cuts of meat, certain fresh produce, oddball spices, etc.). I don't see much need for Whole Foods since Fairway opened, I find the latter to be superior in most ways.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:01 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,062,659 times
I like Compare Foods. Its multi ethnic and diverse. The meats and vegetables are certainly non-standard. The stores are usually immaculate.

But a big Walmart Super Center.....it will one day come to Long Island...cant wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island